Para Space Landscaping

Para Space Landscaping Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
professional landscape company with opportunities to grow yourself
Worked at Para Space for several years as a crew member. I voiced interest in moving up into supervision to gain leadership experience. During my time as a maintenance supervisor I was well supported by all my Managers and taught hard and soft skills I still use to this day. I found crews to be friendly. Their in-house seminar program is very catering to all experience levels and sparked my passion for the landscape industry.
The Best Company in the Landscape Industry
Para Space provides in house education, financial support and payment plans for courses and training as well some of the best company events that help build their phenomenal team culture. They promote and grow from within, you can start with nothing and go to the top but bring your work ethic.
Horticulture is a great career.... not here though
This place looks shiny from the outside, but is rotten on the inside. Education, training, quality equipment, and “swag” are nice. None of that makes up for unpaid (or underpaid) overtime, insane expectations, mountains of paperwork, and a management team that pats themselves on the back regularly - but no one else. The President is possibly the rudest narcissist you’ll ever meet. Basically a mini version of Trump.
Pros? Get free education out of them. Logo’d clothing if that’s your thing

Cons? Lower than industry wages for comparable jobs, unreasonable demands. You’ll advance only if you suck up and do whatever they ask. Paperwork is insane, there’s a form for forms practically. Talk a big game about safety, but you’re just there to be worked until you’re broken - then they’ll find a way to fire you
Rewarding work with great management
Para Space was a great landscaping company to work for; I learned a lot and made lasting friendships while being there during the summer. Landscapers, supervisors, and managers are all motivated to provide quality service while promoting efficient and effective working styles. There are many opportunities to grow within the company, as well as day-to-day task variation toI would highly recommend Para Space to anyone looking to work in this industry, as you won't receive a better experience anywhere else.
Great culture! Great work!
Love my job and the people I work with! Everyone is so positive and friendly. Yes we work hard but that’s what it takes if you want to be on an award winning team that does high quality work. The management team is always striving to be better and works hard to ensure we stay happy. Not looking to leave because everyone who has left has bounced around at multiple jobs because all the other companies out there are terrible!
Pros
Well organized, high quality work, great people, good trucks and equipment, free education, lots of staff events, community service projects etc
Easily distinguishable, variety of skillsets, great crews.
Every day was something different, offering the chance to learn many new skills across a wide spectrum of applications Compassionate management, well-organized and a strong sense of leadership.
Pros
Optional seminars to develop special skills.
Cons
Working in any and all natural elements (snow, rain, heat ect)
Motivating and fun working experience
-Management and supervisors all very kind and helpful to the workers; consistently looking for ways to acknowledge your hard work
-Supervisors very open to you trying different jobs during the day

-Great managers who are always on top of your needs and will make sure you are satisfied within the company

-Motivating, warm, and friendly workplace environment

-Your hard work will never go unnoticed!!

-Endless abilities to grow and progress within the company

-Highly professional landscaping company that can provide you with a long-term career

-High quality equipment and regular maintenance, ensuring for jobs to always be carried out smoothly

-Fun and energetic co workers who are willing to give a helping hand
Not worth my time
It's not worth my time to sit here and write out all the ways this company screwed me over.
The management is terrible and puts way too much stress on supervisors. Supervisors don't get paid near enough for the amount they are responsible for/are expected to get done.

Descent for employees that want to learn.
Pros
Training, organized
Cons
everything else
Motivating and strong workethic
Lots of room for upward progression.
In house training opportunties are highly encouraged

excellent benefits

low salaries for industry standard

lots of rewards and benefits
Good place to make friends and gain experience
If you are new in landscaping this would be a great starting point. Corporate gatherings make it super easy to connect with co-workers; whereas, seminars carried by mid-management give the necessary understanding of what is being done in the field and for what purpose.

Another notable advantage Para Space provides to its staff is secure winter hours. Unless it is a natural disaster you can be sure that the day is not going to be canceled. Moreover, during cold months the company runs aeration and deep edging crews, so there is always a job to do for everyone who does not want to be laid off in winter.

If you ever worked for another landscaping company, however, Para Space may seem like a harsh place of employment. The system of reports based on daily written reports and endless phonecall-reports tracks labor activity like a surveillance drone. The head office always makes sure you don't get paid for the time you did not actually work (or at least pretended to do so).

Some work sites are located as far as Langley, so if you had a misfortune to tell them that you have a car, be prepared to spend up to 2 hours a day in traffic. This huge waste of personal time is not compensated in any way.

Lastly, the seriousness with which the company treats paperwork is beyond insanity. Although supervisors have a form for every occasion, it is nearly impossible for them to find the right one when the situation requires so.

All in all, one of the most memorable places I worked at, but I would never want to come back there again.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, great seminars, well-organized parties
Cons
Unpaid travel time, micromanagement, stress
Buen amiente y trabajo seguro
Un muy buen trabajo con grato ambiente laboral y un gran equipo, posibilidades de crecer y buen trato al empleado
Pros
Seguro medico y beneficios
Cons
no veo una desventaja
forgettable
end of the day its landscape maintenance, grunt work. most of the time you will be sprayed with dog po*p.

They look for young people since the nature of the work is physical as a result supervisors are fairly immature and power trip, they treat people as a commodity you are labor

wages and starts are lower than the industry standard and raises are frequent but minimal designed as an incentive but you still are barely breaking even.

I did not particularly enjoy my time here, lots of people with sore backs after a while due to the nature of the work. no particular faces I would care to see again
Great place to work and grow professionally
I worked at Para Space Landscaping for 19 years. It has been the only landscaping company I have worked for. They are extremely committed to training and education at all levels. The company has won many awards over the years and prides itself on people development and innovation while maintaining very high standards. I witnessed many positive changes over the years I worked there. There is lots of room for advancement if you are willing to work and put in the effort. They are committed to overall excellence in everything they do. I believe it is definitely the best landscaping company to work in the lower mainland.
Pros
Great environment, Great people, High standards, Lots of room for advancement, variety of company events and giveaways
Cons
Occasional paperwork at home
Fast paced, high performance team that actually cares about its employees
I've worked at Para Space for 2.5 years, and in that short time I've climbed from laborer to pre-management, and nearly doubled my pay grade. If you are willing to put in the effort with Para Space, they will open whatever doors you want to go through. I've learned a ton about horticulture, leadership and productivity and have found a career path long term.

My favourite part of working here though, is the people and culture. I came from jobs where you were treated as just another expendable body, to a workplace that genuinely cares about the people they employ. They're seriously invested in your professional and personal development. Everyone is challenged to be a better than they were yesterday. I've felt you can talk to your peers/supervisors/managers about anything going on in your life, and someone is always there to listen.

There's company-wide events throughout the year like bowling, go-karting, golf, family picnics, hockey/football pools, professional development days, pumpkin carving, community outreach days and photo contests. There's benefits and a group RRSP. The workplace safety program is one of the best in the industry.

The work is physical and very fast paced, but if you can keep up, you'll be rewarded very well. If you enjoy a challenge and want to climb ranks quickly, this company is for you.
Pros
In-house and outside education, genuine care for employee well-being, safety driven, year-round employment, benefits
Hard Working Environment with Great Opportunity to Grow
I work as a Job Developer for an employment agency that has partnered with Para Space with 7 of our participants. They pay above competitor's pay. They do expect a lot from their employees, but they get rewarded back. All of our participants agreed that they felt they were given a lot of support in terms of how to improve, training, and opportunities to advance.

Biggest take away I have from working with Para Space is that if you work hard, and have a positive attitude, you can quickly get recognized for your potential and assets.

This place is very performance based, and less seniority based, so if you're looking to grow in a company, this is a great fit if you have a hard work ethic and are self-motivated.
Pros
Good pay; stat holidays off, year round hires (as opposed to seasonal)
Cons
Can be fast paced
Productive place, but lacks a team vibe in the office.
They have a pool table, gym, and for the most part, the workplace is fair. However, the culture is lacking and tends to be quite dull. The office work at an entry level is incredibly micromanaged.
Pros
Gym, Pool table, consistent hours
Cons
poor work culture, micromanaged
A great company to learn about high quality landscaping!
An awesome company to work for as a first time landscaping job AND as an experienced landscaper. Lots of room for advancement, tons of opportunity to gain further knowledge and certifications, tons of work all year round and throughout the city. Always have work available rain or shine!
Pros
Seminars, benefits, good wages, room for advancement
Cons
Fast paced (which can be hard for some people), lots of sites to get done while keeping a high standard
Great place to work if you like active, physical work
Worked for paraspace over a few summers and moved up from labourer to supervisor quickly. If you are willing to put in the time to attend their education seminars you will move up both in terms of salary and responsibility rapidly.
They have high expectations in terms of speed and quality of service, but they are reasonable for a competent worker.
Pros
Educational seminars, work events, free stuff, active work, working outside, good managers and supervisors
Cons
Working in the rain
Great place to work!
Staff are friendly and helpful...nice team atmosphere. The work is enjoyable and I loved going home at the end of the day feeling good about the quality and quantity of work we accomplished together. Would definitely recommend working here to friends and family if I think they would enjoy landscaping.
Pros
Great people, very professional, clear expectations, well maintained equipment and trucks, awesome perks and education, loads of opportunity to advance, frequent feedback to let me know how I’m doing aimed at helping me be my best, very safe work environment
Cons
Communication from management is good but it could still be better, some info about why we are making a change isn’t always communicated effectively
Terrible
Quantity over Quality. Time expectations to complete job tasks are unrealistic. Jeopardizing the quality of work to move onto the next contract. Managed by young adults who abuse their position of power. Negative review reports are given daily.
Pros
education programs
Cons
everything
Rewarding work with great people
If you have no experience they will still hire you!! Everyone is so friendly at this company it is unbelievable. Lots of staff are friends outside of work and since we work in teams it is nice working with good people. They have a career path laid out so it isn’t seniority based, if you work hard you get rewarded and promoted!! They also take care of their staff, I love the events and who doesn’t like free tickets for hockey games???? I just really like how there’s so much opportunity for growth. It’s nice to see how Para space cares for the industry not just their company. Landscaping is more than just physical work it is a science and there’s so much to learn and I like learning about different plants and all.. it’s a cool place
Pros
Events, promotions, training, friendly staff, rewarding work
Cons
Physical work, sometimes the rain