Panera Bread
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Canada148 reviews
Work Experience wasn't the best
Although I made many friends for the time I was there, management was not consistent, neither was the schedules from week to week, and my hands were exposed to cleaning chemicals daily. I liked working under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
Good place to gain experience
A good place to gain experience in consolidation and fast-paced work. Co-workers are pleasant to work with. Some shifts can be overwhelming but the management handles it fine.
good people, nice team.
Great people, the best fun but your pace is fast and dealing with the team and customers requires good attitude. They are fair in the dealings.
Nice perks for staff.
A great place to work
At Panera I feel included and I feel as though it is a place of belonging. The crew there is just one big team and I really enjoy working there and getting to know each and every person.
I enjoyed working along side the managers and with the staff.
It was a great opportunity to learn and grow as an employee and as a shift supervisor. I would recommend anyone to take advantage of learning all aspects of the Panera culture.
FMI, master franchisee of Panera Bread in Canada is a very poor and unprofessionally run company, no concept about customer service.
FMI, the master franchisee for Panera Bread in Canada is very poorly and unprofessionally run company, no concept about customer service, more inclined towards the bottom line, they know Panera has a good reputation and the customers will support it but working there in very stressful with toxic atmosphere.
Piece of advice, go work somewhere else.
Fun Workplace
Fun to work there with great management. New experiences learned and allow for new opportunities. Flexible schedule and hours that are easy to balance with school.
Job was alright
Work starts early in the morning at around 6. Ingredients and condiments are taken out of storage and refrigerator, frozen patties are placed onto racks and into the oven, avocados are peeled and sliced, omelettes are cooks, etc.

Lunch hour is pretty busy for an hour or two, so work becomes fast-paced. Some teamwork is required.

Management is generally reasonable and easy enough to work with. Workplace culture is casual, everyone shows up for their shifts and there's occasional chatting when it's not busy, and everyone more or less gets along. The job isn't difficult per se, but it can be dull.

The most enjoyable part of the job is probably the occasional small talk, and getting to go home after finishing your shift.
A typical day at work
Sometimes can be really busy and you need to call managers to help you if you are on line, sometimes managers can be a bit lazy and you may get stressed out but besides that the job itself is easy
Great coworkers but management is uptight. Constantly overworked and understaffed with cut hours.
Panera is constantly trying to save as much money as possible. They will cut your hours and expect you to do the same amount of work in lesser time.
Some managers are chill, but some are constantly telling you to do random favours including your mandatory work. Those managers are also always up your bum and constantly telling you you're doing your job wrong and are never happy.

Closing would be a pain because you're usually understaffed so the company can save money, thus being overworked.

You are always expected to do *something*, even when the place is bone dry, and even when the place is dead, you'll probably be sent home to save some company money.

If you go out of your way to learn every station (cash, dishwasher, food line, etc.), you'll only make yourself constantly overworked as you're expected and are ordered by the managers to constantly jump positions. You are to cover someone every time anyone goes on break.

Doing good deeds in the workplace (like cleaning the maggot filled garbage carts) will pretty much get you no reward or recognition. Only rarely you'll get a free meal (UNDER 15$!!) for it.

Coworkers are funny and chill but everyone is constantly looking for literally any other job and only work at Panera just because they were the first to hire them.

Expecting a raise in this company will only leave you disappointed. They will not spend another cent on you. Free food is non-existent and employee discounts are only available on your breaks; discounts are not to be used freely.

You get free drinks and coffee though (but NOT specialty drinks, you
 - more...
Collaborative and casual work place to work in
Collaborative and casual work place to work in. Employees and management were respectful, professional and dutiful. Training was proficient and to the point.
its okay
the job helps you get futhur in your career. The company that owns Panera Bread does help when needed. If you are looking for a full time job, go somewhere else, it lose sales/hours
Very negative and toxic
Very poor management lack proper training and professionalism. The location was very toxic which made it very stressful. I would not recommend them to anyone.
Negative and unfair work environment
Term of employment: 10 months (3 months full-time, 7 months part-time because of school)

-Shifts start at 3 am. The end of a shift varies depending on how fast or slow you work.

-You are entitled to a 30 minute break which I did not take because I felt that there were no other employees trained to watch over my products.

-Training consisted of shadowing and working with an existing baker until management requires you to work alone (for me it was a month).

-There were 2 interviews. The first was with a shift supervisor asking basic questions. The second was with the district manager where they educated you more on the job.

-Orientation was done in a group with the district manager where you sampled products, got background information of the company, and had a tour behind the counter.

-Communication between management and employees, and even within management was disorganized. There were many changes within the company that were not communicated.

-The pay is not worth it because of the early morning shifts, the omitted duties in the job description, and the lack of decent leadership and communication.

-By the end, I was very unhappy working there and even more unhappy that, having done nothing wrong, I was being shifted out of my role as a baker without being told prior. Seniority means nothing in this company; having been there for almost 1 year, I did not have priority over the amount of hours dedicated to the baker role.

-Reason for leaving: I was going to be shifted into other roles which was not what I had applied for and had also not been discussed with me prior.
 - more...
Pros
Free $15 meal, the work is not overly difficult to learn without experience, being able to work independently at your own pace
Cons
Low pay, demotivating work environment, repetitive work, lack of communication, unsatisfactory management
Its ok there
It is a good working environment if everything is put back for the next day and no one miss places tools which is a common issue. Lack of drive from most other associates that I see working there.
Horrible job and horrible management
It was just bad. Manamagent cuts hours and shifts and expects twice the work to be done in half the time. Benefits are a joke. We stopped getting our tips. The company will remove your hours if you go overtime. They do anything to save money which is why shifts are 4 hours and you get sent home early. The partr[picpate in a scammy denotations thing. Overall it is a trash place. Coworkers are great though. Even though everyone is actively looking for a new job.
Good employee relationships but not great with management
-We typically had one person working in every department except for line, which could get overwhelming
-Employees were mostly all young high school or college students and got along very well

-The relationship between employees and management was not great, there was often miscommunication and in my opinion, a few wrongful terminations
Stressful and unprofessional management
The managers had favourites an showed attitude. Catty workplace and coworkers were a hit or miss. We had discounts but they had kept changing the policy.
Pretty fun
Fun workplace great co workers, great first job, its not that stressful once you get used to with the place and its better than working in McDonalds for a first job.
Great managers, friendly environment
Good environment to work in because of the managers who are friendly and understanding. It can get quite stressful during the lunch rush, customers can get demanding especially when it comes to coffee. You must have lots of patience and exude friendliness. Great coworkers who make the work days tolerable. Downside is no benefits, no advancement opportunities, pay is subpar, no set work schedule (schedule can change weekly) and they cut hours if it's not busy.
No for full time work
Is a kind if job for students max a
Hour per day can be max of 5 if you want more hour they don't give you breaks every 2 hour and is really tired and stressful you don't have any benefits after 3 years no chance to advance positions