Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 96 reviews matching the search See all 11,141 reviews
Decent Job
Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 December 2018
Working at this specific Panera was difficult and physically straining. Management was failing at the time due to the fact that half of the workers had quit. We were always low on people and could not do our jobs properly. Workplace culture was really poor, a lot of swearing and gossip. Often workers would even sit down and do nothing when the restaurant is not busy, instead of cleaning or restocking. However, worker benefits were great - discounts off of our meal and work schedule was flexible...sometimes I argue that it was too flexible.
Horrible Place to Work
Hourly Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 December 2018
The Panera I worked at is probably the worst place you could ever work. The management was HORRIBLE, as sometimes we don't even get schedules until the night before. They were always rude and were not warm at all. They did not care for their employees at all, and even if it was an emergency, they would make you find someone to cover the shift, although a lot of the time, no one picked up shifts. The environment is horrible, and sometimes the managers would make you do more than what you're supposed to. If you're only supposed to be on let's say cash, sometimes they will make you do cash AND dining. Everyone working there said they were not getting paid enough. It was so bad to the point where in one week, 2 managers quit, the general manager quit, AND almost 15 employees quit. People couldn't work there anymore, which is why I quit as well.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Productive and fun place to work at, but entirely depending on the management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
Really depends on management. It's a good place if you like change. You can easily transition to different roles, since duties are sectioned off. So for example, if you don't like cash shift, you can ask to be trained for dish. Downside is that if someone calls in sick for a certain section, you'll be expected to close or manage a section by yourself, meaning double the work.
Hard work, good time
Cashier, Line, Dining (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 December 2018
Gave me great hours and fit very well with both my school and family life. Management was not the best however. Very demanding and relationship with them is not their priority. Managers tended to undermine much of what was given to them as feedback from workers and even some customers.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
management worker relationship was poor
Panera was very professional company
Yonge Street- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 August 2018
I really loved Panera because of the friendly environment between the customers and the staff. They always had two or three managers present. They have professional clock-in and clock-out. What I really loved is that the training was paid.
Pros
Never short on management
Cons
Closed too late
Accommodating towards students
Waitress, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON9 August 2018
I learned a lot from my time at Panera Bread: time management, the importance of having a team, the joy of connecting with co-workers and guests/ customers alike. I started with a slow-paced job as a prep cook in the back of house since this was my first job out of high school.
Pros
Positive people, making others smile, restaurant contributes to community
Cons
There was a lack of hours after February 2018
Horrible Management
Cashier/Waitress/Barista (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 August 2018
In the beginning, Panera was a positive upbeat environment to work in. I enjoyed coming into work every day and looked forward to being able to get paid for being in a place I loved. It provided a great starting place to work and have benefited from there. However, when the manager changed it became a more negative environment. Hours were cut to unreasonable 3-hour shifts which were not worth the time. New employees were not given proper training because they were too cheap so more work was put on others who had been there longer. We felt used and were not given the respect and care that employees should have. It's sad that a place that I once loved to work at had to become my worst nightmare that I had to quit.
Only Cares about the money
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
This company used to be amazing to work for. Once they got bought out by a franchise they went far down hill. They do not care about ANY employee. The managers and higher up only care about the bottom dollar. Don't like it? QUIT, or they will just get rid of you. If you buy in to what they are selling you will stay on the good side for a while but eventually they will screw you over.
Good staff, horrible management
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2018
You will meet good people here, make lots of friends, but I can promise that the management will be horrible and likely be the reason you quit. The stores are very sanitary
Pros
50% off 15 dollars worth of food per shift
Cons
no benefits unless youre working, horrible management
Fast based Invortment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2018
consistently bending and turning. you have to know where all your supplies are. busy breakfast lunch and dinner.stack the backed new bread to the shells. wash dishes at times
Pros
free food
Cons
fast work
It's pretty cool
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2018
Workplace is nice. I enjoy being with my coworkers. It's really nice. I like it. I don't know. It's really nice I guess. I don't know. It's yeah... It's nice.
Pros
its nice
Cons
yee
Worst place to work / poor management / ownership
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 February 2018
After Franchise Management Inc. (FMI) bought the Panera Bread Cafes in Ontario, the management went to drain.

GM at this specific location (Kingston, Ontario) seem to not care at all about the employers. Even customers have seen that GM yell at the employers because they were not fast enough to do their job.

The GM will leave whenever desires and let the other mangers do the job instead.

Poor management has resulted in a lot of original workers that opened the Cafe to quit.

Kingston cafe is extremely unorganized, during peak rush times typically lunch and dinner it is understaffed and customers get upset, because wait times are so high. (this has been going on for over 3 years without any fixes because management/ownership doesn't care one bit)

If you care about your well being and health, do not consider working there.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management / new owners
Horrible management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 March 2018
Management won’t follow labour laws, always out of something. Constantly changing management staff so procedures constantly change, need to know how each manager likes things done to get by. Management staff doesn’t know how to say thank you and all their “power” has gone to their head and you get treated like garbage.
New employees lack of training, get two training shifts then you’re on you’re own. Great coworkers but management staff needs big improvements.
Pros
50% on shift meals
Cons
Horrible management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON9 May 2018
Was great to work at until FMI took over. Food was changed, and the quality of it was horrible. They fired bakers, and made staff take over, so they got paid way less then the bakers did. all their food comes frozen now,when before everything was made in house. truly disappointing.
Pros
60% lunch discount
Cons
over worked
Strong company with great culture
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2017
Panera is a great place for people to work who are looking for corporate culture and advancement. The management are overall, very well trained and easy to speak with. The typical work day can be completely overwhelming or barley anything at all in the catering business. That's the hardest part - you are paid hourly and it wholly depends on the orders that come in.
Pros
Great advancement opportunities
Cons
early hours (4am) and unpredicatable shift times
lots of free baked goods
CASHIER/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Don Mills, ON13 June 2018
I worked at Panera Bread for the summer of 2017. Overall it was a fun job and I would go back if I could. The only bad thing about working there was trying to keep the coffee consistently stocked. They'd make us change the coffee every hour and when your the only cashier on shift and you have a line, things get crazy. A few of the managers I had would let us take home pastries and drinks. After every shift, I'd come home with bags of bread for my family to enjoy.
Pros
employee discount 65%
Cons
many responsibilities
Fast paced workplace
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 July 2018
Friendly co workers but very disorganized schedule. made for one week at a time and it's hard to make plans in advance or book appointments. Most of the time when you come in for a training shift the person training you isnt there or is in another shift position so they put you with someone else last minute.
Run away from all the locations in ontario
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 October 2017
Do not work for any location owned by franchise management they do not treat their employees right. You will ve bullied for other peoples mistakes. Work anywhere else but here, new area manager is a creep and flirts with every girl and touchs you places where you dont wnt to be touched.
Pros
Cons
Long hours low pay no overtime paid u work for free
Great associates, needs new leadership.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Canada12 July 2018
Working for a location that cares about safety only when it suits them is rather troubling, along with hiring new folks when the staff they already have is struggling to receive hours; it's frustrating. It's hard to work for people in leadership who don't know how to talk to people, are unreasonable and unrealistic with their demands and then get upset with the staff when the job is not done in their short deadline. Of course deadlines are certainly important, but one must be realistic about them; adding substantial amounts to the workload and then expecting them to be done at the same time is unfair. The associates are friendly and kind, there's a reason we called it the Panera family, but there is certainly something to be desired of the workplace environment. Some of our best staff have left for similar reasons; people that worked hard, were reliable and generally were all-around good people. I've learned quite a bit from Panera, its definitely a place to hone skills, as long as you have the patience to deal with the daily struggle, and are looking for only part-time work. Of course I can only speak for the location I work for, but head office seems to be the ones setting the amount of hours the cafe gets; this directly leads to things not being done due to lack of staff, which of course has a domino effect throughout the cafe. It's not a good situation.
Pros
Healthy food, if you can afford it.
Don't work there
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON3 April 2018
I don't know about other Panera's, but Panera Bread Ajax is a DISASTER. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE. This is mainly due to management, which changes constantly, and gets worse each time it is changed. There were previous managers who were promoted, regardless of being probably the least trained employees in the store. They don't promote people who actually know what they are doing, they promote people who kiss up to management all the time. When I would request help from a shift supervisor, the response would be they do not know how to do that. If you are a manager, firstly, I should not have to ask you to help your team, thats your job to figure out. Secondly, I shouldn't be better trained than you, because then there's not really any point of you being there. When the store was extremely busy, managers were just sitting down, eating, or running around being useless. Worked shifts with only two employees in the store (including myself), managers still refused to do anything productive to help us, but would yell at us when we made one small mistake. I have never felt so belittled, demeaned and degraded then i did with Panera Bread Ajax management. There was no recognition for people who put in the most work, doing multiple jobs at once and covering shifts for other employees who couldn't be bothered to show up. . Most staff members were nice, other than managers, but that doesn't make up for the bad treatment.
Pros
Cons
Management, Management, Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K