Pacifica Housing Advisory Association

• Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment

Great team culture & work/life balance

Pacifica is a really great place to work. They have a very supportive management and team culture, which is necessary for the difficult and sometimes heartbreaking work. Managers are extremely understanding when it comes to family responsibilities and self-care. Their wellness days make a work/life balance actually possible, whether you're a parent or not.They're constantly striving to make the pay more fair and equitable. It's not perfect, but pay has increased quite a lot across the board since I began working here.Pacifica invests in their employees with tons of high-quality training opportunities and fun social activities. Everyone celebrates one another's achievements, which is just nice.The work is extremely meaningful, and the new CEO has an inspiring vision. When she/we make a mistake in how we handled a project, she hears out the employees all the way to the frontline to really dig in, learn from it and do better in the future, not continue to make the same mistakes that hurt clients and staff. Working at Pacifica means you get to actually lead change and innovation in the housing sector, which is pretty cool.Full disclosure, if you asked me to write this review 3 years ago, it would not be the one I am writing today. If you wrote Pacifica off years ago, now might be the time to give em another chance.

Pros

work/life balance, team culture, meaningful work

Cons

Different departments report different levels of work satisfaction - not clear across the board, partially unionized

Great place to work.

Pacifica Housing is a great place to work. Pacifica Housing offers excellent work life balance and great benefits. There have been some changes in the recent past but the organization is well run and very supportive. Working for Pacifica Housing offers an opportunity to work for an organization that is innovative, progressive and supports folks in our community.

Pros

Supportive environment, great benefits, supports people in need

Cons

Work can be challenging

Supportive environment, great benefits and fair wages.

I have worked at Pacifica Housing for 3 years now and have found the people here are our greatest strength. The management team has grown and continues to grow, and they work to build and improve the organization and culture. The process and discipline the company follows is extremely important for the clients we serve. If you're looking to work within a supportive environment that cares about its staff and community, this is the place.

Pros

It's people

Productive, empowering place to work

Pacifica has given me the opportunity to really support folks where they are at. I work with great people who advocate for folks and their needs. I feel supported by leadership and feel appreciated. Wonderful place to work!

Purpose driven & values based organization

Pacifica has a very purpose driven and value oriented culture with lots of hard-working and dedicated people who give their best to make a difference in the community. As diverse of a workforce as I've seen which is a great strength for the organization. The job is demanding but respects life balance with competitive time off and excellent benefits.

Pros

A strong purpose in providing needed housing in the community

Cons

Work offices and facilities are not fancy (but typical for non-profit and completely comfortable))

Poorly run, management seems unqualified

Days can be long, little support from managers as they seem to be hardly around.They seem to care more about looking good in order to get more funding for their projects than taking care of their residents.Workplace culture is poor with a lot of favouritism to long term staff compared to the newer staff.Hardest part of the job is the long hours and dealing with the residents/clients and little to no office/management support and little to no education provided in mental health issues with the residents/clients. Its like they expect you to figure it out yourself.The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a service to the residents/clients who may not normally receive these services

Pros

Wages and Benefits are good

Cons

Company is Poorly Managed

This is not a safe or healthy place to work

A typical day at work is worrying if you'll still have a job at the end of the day. The leadership does not seem to care about the staff, it is the most toxic environment I've ever worked in. The organization is led from the top through what I can only describe as bullying behaviour, fear, and even subtle intimidation; there are obvious favourites. Policies are ignored or not followed correctly, and there's no clear direction, it is as if the leadership just don't seem to care. This is not an open, trustworthy, or honest place to work, everything seems to be done behind closed doors. I would not recommend to anyone to come and work here, your privacy does not feel safe and the leadership have even sent out emails mentioning mental health issues of staff on extended sick leave, which is highly inappropriate. Could not leave this organization fast enough.

Pros

There are some genuinely caring staff here

Cons

No trust, a dishonest leadership, toxic environment, staff being bullied, no direction, feeling unsafe.

Not complete

When I worked at Pacifica I found the policies to not be fully thought out and things just not ready. It was not safe for workers and you'd be alone most of your shifts, as well as their 'workers safety' protocol was not set up properly. I'd be alone on shift and there'd be no on call Manger or other worker on the lower mainland to call in case of incident. The communication between management was lacking so things were missed quite often.

Pros

Wellness Days

Changing for the better

Pacifica is a unique organization serving an extremely diverse clientele. The majority of Pacifica's rental units are family and middle income oriented with some low income options. It also has subsidized units which require collaboration with BC Housing. However, a large amount of Pacifica's staff represents outreach workers and housing support workers assisting individuals to maintain tenancies within our Supported Housing sites and in the private market through rent subsidies and case management. This makes for a complex and diverse company in it's skills and services provided.Having undergone leadership change at most levels of the company since the start of 2020, the feeling "on the ground" continues to improve. Weaknesses and strengths have been identified and a more fact based approach to improving internally has already had beneficial impact on moral. Wages have been raised to meet "living wage employer" standards across the entire organization. Transparency from leadership has increased 10 fold with the change over and has created an increased sense of job security internally, something that was lacking previously. There are certainly still "growing pains" but the organization is heading in a much more positive direction than 1 year ago.

Pros

Serving marginalized people with respect and dignity

Cons

Emotionally tough work

Great team members

I have been working for Pacifica for just under a year and have grown to really enjoy working alongside my team. I like working for an organization that is doing the necessary work that needs to be done in the community trying to help the homeless.

Pros

Team collaboration

Cons

Stressful work

Great team environment

As a new employee at Pacifica I quickly felt welcomed and a part of the team. Management works hard to ensure employees are taken care of, with a needed focus on wellness. I’ve enjoyed a great work-life balance at Pacifia while also utilizing and gaining new skills. Pacifica has very diverse departments (finance, administration, maintenance, supportive housing) but still are able to maintain good communication and work well as a team. I recommend applying if you feel like you’d be a good fit in this environment!

Pros

Work-life balance

horrible morale

Company only concerned with the bottom dollar , new CEO is incompetent and a bully. Mistreats its employees and devalues them. No support for the ongoing health and safety violations . Stay away far away from this organization

Pros

co-workers

Cons

management

Mindfully adaptive through times of rapid growth, attentive management and a compassionate approach to serving the islands most vulnerable.

In virtue of exponential growth, Pacifica Housing continues to demonstrate extraordinary dedication to the people and families it serves. The organizations unique challenges have provided an abundance of humbling opportunities for personal and professional development. It is clear, that the organization is focused on supporting the right people to facilitate industry leading standards in social development. Compassion, dedication, resilience, expertise and opportunities for growth keep me engaged. It's exciting to be a part of an Organization that is setting the benchmark in it's diverse roll, giving back to the community it serves.

Pros

Engaged senior management, Skilled employee's, Job satisfaction, Opportunity for growth, Dedicated staff, Transparency from senior management

Cons

Growing pains and heavy workload.

An agency that cares about clients and staff!

Pacifica offers a diverse portfolio of services in Victoria and Nanaimo. The organization has grown quickly in response to the complex needs of both communities; at times making daily work life challenging yet very rewarding. These challenges often translate to new opportunities and skill development. This is an agency that truly cares about it's clients and their staff.

Pros

Proactive response to community needs. Considerate of staff well-being.

Changing Workplace

Pacifica Housing is an organization going through change and their vision for the future is positive and exciting. The folks here are doing amazing work for the community and the residents. It is exciting to be apart of something that has a bright future and that wants to move forward & improve.

independent work environment

planned menu for 3 week rotation, food order twice a week with other cook. trips to food bank, adjusted menu according what was available. cleaning and organizing stock room, fridges, and kitchen. help from staff when serving meals. bringing ideas forward for change and improvement.

I’ve you can avoid working here, you should!

Pacifica is a terrible place to land. Many come to Pacifica with the hope they can make a difference in the community only to realize that upper management doesn’t care at all about the mission of the organization. There are some great people there but most of them find other jobs or are mysteriously fired. HR doesn’t do anything for staff and can’t be trusted. There are people who are abusive and crazy in other departments and the current ED has no understanding as to how to operate an organization. Protect your mental health and do not work here.

Various

To much to say about this non-profit. Damaging to the community of their staff, corrupt and a failed non-profit with questionable/inexperienced upper management. Don't bother trying to change things. The only saving aspect are co-workers.

amature upper management

I am embarrassed to have worked there. I went there to help people, only to find harassment, intimidation, and work place bullying among other illegal activities. From one scandalous ED to the next scandalous ED. Upper management have no business being there ,they had a good thing now it is a money grab by executive management. This place needs to be put under a microscope, and not by bc housing. Absolutely outrages behaviour . 25 plus years in the business and never seen anything like this in any industry

Unorganized chaos with catty, backstabbing, under qualified management

I, as most were, was super excited to work for Pacifica until after a few weeks of employment I discovered the truth about this not for profit. Most staff, could care less about the people we are helping. They fire people left right and center for no reason but get away with it because they'll pay you out. Management is a joke. Long term employees have been let go for no cause and the managers spread rumors about current staff. Save yourself the grief and dont ever work here.

Great place to work!

Pacifica is a wonderful organization to work for; the people are kind, compassionate, and very respectful. The work they do in the community and for the community is very important. What Pacifica believes in and stands for is truly inspiring. It was a very hard decision to move on from the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacifica Housing Advisory Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement