Pacific National Exhibition logo
Pacific National Exhibition

Pacific National Exhibition Employee Reviews

Canada166 reviews

Great summertime job

Excellent job to have fun, stay busy and keep in shape. Many of the people have been there for many years and have a great attitude in being in a new employees shoes. The pay isn't out of this world but considering how not fun many jobs are it made up for it.

Overall okay I guess

You need a loud voice when working as a Triple Os food attendant. I barely got any training desite the fact it was my first job and was put on a cash register only 15mins after my shift started. I was never told when my shift would end and I only got a few shifts because of the way they organized shifts. This job also required good memory and customer skills but overall the customers were the nicest. Management was terrifying.

Pros

discounts

Cons

never got tips, management was bothered when I asked questions

Good experience

As a teenager it is one of the best jobs you can get during the summer. Hours are flexible managers are strict but friendly, and the majority of your co-workers will be teenagers aswell

good first job (but don't work in foods)

Honestly, it was a good first job, and the pay was really good. But try to avoid working in the foods department. The customers feel very entitled (like every job). Working near the beer garden during the night can get you large tips and can be entertaining at night.

Pros

discounts, pay

Cons

high temps, customers

A good first job for teens

As a 15 year old, I found that there weren't many places in Vancouver that hired people under 16. However, the PNE starts hiring at 15, which makes for a great way for teenagers my age to get good work experience and earn some money while they're at it. My job at guest services was straight-forward but needed some multitasking during busy times. Good supervisors love questions and always try to help you do the best you can, while bad supervisors are more critical and like to blame you for things you cannot control. For the most part I had a critical supervisor who made my hours feel long and boring, while some of my coworkers seemed more happy with the supervisors in their shifts. My job at the PNE gave me some good social skills that I can use for future jobs, and I felt safe under their rules and steps taken for security. However, many positions at the PNE don't have chairs, so you have to stand for a pretty long time. I would usually be dying to sit down by the time I had a break. Overall, it was really neat to work at the facility I had gone to as a guest for so many years, and would recommend it for young people looking for a good place to start their career life.

Pros

Allowed to roam around PNE grounds during breaks, Discounts on food and merchandise

Cons

Some shifts can go late into the night

great people to work with

Really enjoyed working at Playland in the summer. The people were great and i got promoted to a supervisor position in my 5th year of working there. recommend it for sure (i worked in the rides department)

My Experience Working at the PNE

The PNE was a rather enjoyable work experience, especially during it's peak season in the summer. The environment is friendly, welcoming and a great first job. However the phone restrictions are rather bothersome when it comes to the workers/customers safety. In situations where a customer needs emergency aid, a worker must flagged down a manager and use the manager's phone instead of directly using their own. Though the atmosphere at the PNE is catered towards families fun, its disregard towards smokers around non-smoking areas is very unhealthy. The lack of authority towards smokers who don't cooperate make the experience at the PNE for others lacklustre.

Pros

25% Off PNE food for workers

Cons

Instability with shifts, being called in to to fill someone else's shift, staying hour(s) longer than expected.

Independent working environment

Very little head office interaction, mostly an independent job. Must be a solid solo worker to ensure you meet expectations. At times the job was a bit stale depending on which location I was posted in.

Productive area with good staff discounts

Short temporary work for anyone who wants to work at the end of the summer. They provide staff discounts for food there and the hours are manageable. Managers willing to work with you to make sure you know what you are doing

Pros

Fun, interactive, simple, good money

Cons

Long commute if in suburbs.

Access control

Writer had a great experience working with the staff personnel at the yearly fair.Writer learnt about access control at the point of entry to the exhibition.

Pros

Great supervisors

Jobs at Pacific National Exhibition

See more jobs

Extremely fun and exciting workplace, met very many new friends in a new and fresh environment.

Was the perfect first job for me a very comfortable space to learn new things, especially dealing with the general public and also challenging me in things I would never think of. Such as becoming a manager a training new hires myself or learning how to organize stock in eyecatching and colourful way. Good actions were constantly applauded to employees who showed hard work and persistence. I think this job made my summer very enjoyable and encouraging to get into the workforce. I will be very excited to be back for next years 2019 playland season to put my best work in.

Pros

Sociable environment

Cons

Long hours during fair

Great experience to start with.

Everyone has a turn at doing/learning something within the workplace. Managers/supervisors available when needed for help. Gained valuable skills and money as a summer job. Although workplaces tend to be crowded due to limited space and one or two extra employees from the customer perspective, it made customer service and wait times more efficient.

Pros

Gain skills, meet new people, free lunch

Cons

Crowded workplace, outdated utensils/counters/faucets

Great career

commission, decommission computers, laptops, phones and AV setup. Contract work Good management while I was there. Fast paced, worked with a sense of urgency and commitment. Loved the people and environment.

Pros

free shows, food and fun

Cons

short annual contract

Pnep

Working at the pne is not for everyone.If you want full time forget it .Co workers some are ok others are lazy.Head of housekeeping doesnt keep the schedule keeps changing.People dont show up for shifts not worth the hassle look else where.

Pros

Fun and exciting work place

I have learned to work in a fast pace zone and be punctual in all ways. i think the most difficult part is staying stocked up when its rushing busy, and we all get along well on the floor.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

Decent amount of hours

New Friends, Helpful people, kind.

It was just an in and out sort of job, with breaks, but it was all just consistent standing and selling. break times were a bit of a hassle to adapt to, but we (coworkers), were able to manage.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

You only have as much fun and make as much money as the effort you put in

Great place to work, management is fun and uplifting. You really only get out what you put in. Hours are long and demanding both mentally and physically but the pay off really is great.

Friendly Environment

Working at the PNE was a pretty good experience! You learn a lot of new things on a daily basis. If there’s anything you don’t know, it’s easy to ask your superiors for help. They’re super friendly and are happy to help. What you do everyday is similar to volunteering at carnival games for kids, except they’re educational so you should have good memorization.

Pros

New friends, Discounted Food

Cons

Break room inside the barn

Ticket Seller

I enjoyed working at the PNE selling tickets because it gave me the freedom to still work full time at my other job. I worked at PNE for extra money I am a single mother and needed the extra income. The commute became a little tough for me and the long hours standing at the summer nights concerts were the reason I left.

Fun place to work

Good management and flexible schedules. Hiring process quick and efficient. If you do a good job you will be pretty guaranteed to get an invitation to return the following year.

The workers are great

The workers are absolutely fantastic and management actually cares about you and your safety, however the pay does not quantify the amount of work which is involved in this job.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Poor Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific National Exhibition. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2