Pacific National Exhibition

Pacific National Exhibition Job security & advancement reviews

Very good work place with excellent atmosphere. Technician positions are interesting and engaging with room for advancement and professional development
I first started working the fair for 2 years and then I moved on to play land because I liked the environment and the people I met and I wanted to work there more. working there is fun and allows you to get a good job experience in dealing with customers and teaches you how to handle different situations.
There are numerous events and activities that happen at work every day, I love the work and the employees, everything is great. Learning new things every year and week of the year.
Great place to work but there is an extreme variety of co workers. Good working environment and the company opens eyes to future employers. Nothing further to report!
The hours are completely chosen by yourself and you can also choose what kind of jobs you want to take under your larger department. The fair is quite a large area therefore you are seeing many different workers on different days that you work. There are shifts with longer and shorter hours, so you can choose whichever fits your schedule that day.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
There is always lots to do, very busy work environment, lots of room for advancement. Excellent job security and the supervisors are great to work with.
As a 15 year old, I found that there weren't many places in Vancouver that hired people under 16. However, the PNE starts hiring at 15, which makes for a great way for teenagers my age to get good work experience and earn some money while they're at it. My job at guest services was straight-forward but needed some multitasking during busy times. Good supervisors love questions and always try to help you do the best you can, while bad supervisors are more critical and like to blame you for things you cannot control. For the most part I had a critical supervisor who made my hours feel long and boring, while some of my coworkers seemed more happy with the supervisors in their shifts. My job at the PNE gave me some good social skills that I can use for future jobs, and I felt safe under their rules and steps taken for security. However, many positions at the PNE don't have chairs, so you have to stand for a pretty long time. I would usually be dying to sit down by the time I had a break. Overall, it was really neat to work at the facility I had gone to as a guest for so many years, and would recommend it for young people looking for a good place to start their career life.
Pros
Allowed to roam around PNE grounds during breaks, Discounts on food and merchandise
Cons
Some shifts can go late into the night
Really enjoyed working at Playland in the summer. The people were great and i got promoted to a supervisor position in my 5th year of working there. recommend it for sure (i worked in the rides department)
Everyday I work, I learn something new, working with my co-workers to solve problems was the greatest experience i have taken every year with myself. Growing and learning every step of the way.
This was my first job experience that was temporary and seasonal but it was a good one. I had lots of fun in my position as I got to interact with different people and gain experience. The hours were given as requested and I never had an issue with management.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Lots of busy/peak hours
Working at the PNE was fine. Made a ton of new friends and gained some great skills such as dealing with the general public but the supervisors sometimes unhelpful and the staff room was not very pleasant.
I would sign in and write down what room/area I wanted to work in that day. Talk to large crowds and inform them, have a 15 minute break then a 30 minute break. I would usually work from 10am to 4pm, or 4pm to about 10pm. Sometimes slow paced, but great people.
Busy work environment with lots to do The people are great to work with but customers are a bit of a handful. Overall great company and flexible with schedule
Working with everyone in the same age group is a fun experience, with trained supervisors that have been with PNE for over 4+ years to show you the ropes. It was clear what was expected of you, though sometimes it felt very hierarchical when the top management came around, but that's speaking from a 16 y.o. mindset. Is definitely a good first job, PNE hires a bunch of P/T teens/ students, and provides a fun environment to learn in.
This place deserves INFINITE praise!!! :D Seasonal position but full of a very enriching experience! A typical day: I was on the site maintenance team and so I had to ensure that the site was clean and free of trash, debris and the concession tables were wiped and clean. I was placed on this particular team as I exhibited an excellent guest services personality. Uniforms were provided and the shirt colour for this team is red. Any of these team members were people guests to the fair approached first to ask any questions as we were so easy to spot and we were all over the park keeping it clean. I was always there ensuring guests had all their questions answered and if I could, I would take them right to their destination or as close to it as possible. It was so much fun making them smile and having them feel like they were VIPs. People were very grateful for all the help I gave them and the management team of the department I was in always gave me an outstanding report at the end of each season. The hardest part of the job was working in the rain The most enjoyable was helping the guests out as best as I could
Pros
Free park entrance, helping guests
I liked working for the PNE at first, and the type of atmosphere it created. My co-workers and bosses were easy to work with, and made my job enjoyable. The job itself was very flexible, or, when I was working there it was, but from what I've heard the way it is organized has changed. But when I was working there, the shift lengths and breaks were reasonable. However, the amount of work that was requested in comparison to the actual pay was a little unbalanced, only during Fright Nights, a time where you get no benefits for night work OR holiday pay, because the work itself is temporary (not much you can do about that). There were rewards each night for exceptional work, but are "points" or something along those lines redeemed later.
Pros
Flexible days, easy shift changes, great work environment
Cons
Long hours, night work, minimal pay, little chance for promotion in-job
Made sure there were diapers and wipes. Update the events board. Got kids when they were lost. General cleaning of worksite
Pros
getting to stay at the Fair after work
Cons
seasonal
Solid Kelvin 23 tools at the PNE fair. Learned great sales technique, was a great experience.
Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) is a renowned company that utilizes light-shows and extravaganzas to cover up the mediocre work environment. Throughout the brief period of time I work at the PNE, as a wheel dealer, my supervisor at most, once a day; expects his/her subordinates to be super-enthusiastic, and super energetic like an autistic kid on a sugar high. Despite the fact that his/her subordinates shows more enthusiasm in a minute than he/she does in an entire day. The PNE will provide a colored shirt with it's logo as part of an uniform, as for the rest of the uniform, we were told to wear black pants to work. Taking into account that PNE took place during the summer times, I choose black shorts instead of trousers; upon arriving at work, I was told that I need trousers instead of shorts, or at the very least, longer pant-legs. As defined by the policy, while at work, all your loose items needs to be stored inside a storage space near your station, and you need to wear a black apron-like attire to store loose change while hosting games. Combined with the scrutiny they took with the pant leads to the conclusion that the PNE have a serious distrust with they temporary employee, so much so that they make their employee and themselves jump through hoops just to make sure that their employee knows that they're not trusted or welcomed here. For the most part, work at the PNE involves hosting various games while standing for several hours at a time. Ensure that the fair attendee have a pleasurable experience. However, given that most fair games have a win/lose scenario, - more...
Pros
minor discount with fair merchandise, free entry while employed.
Cons
Long standing hours, strict dress code.
learned about handling cards and various types of tickets, teamwork with co-workers was a valuable experience.
The PNE / Playland was a great experience for me and inspired me to look for more work after my contract was over for the season. I would refer this job to anyone out there, it is a great environment to be in!
Pros
different places for food all around, great hours
Cons
some customers can be confrontational