Pacific Customs Brokers

Pacific Customs Brokers Employee Reviews for Agent

Agent7 reviews
Canada7 reviews
The work is enjoyable for the most part and you learn a lot. I like my coworkers and supervisors. I like how they support you and encourage you to get further training. It's very busy in summer and Fridays are consistently super busy. The only reason I'm leaving PCB is that I'm passionate about animals and I'd like to work for a vet or animal shelter.
PCB is a very good company where a lot of training is provided and you can build a skill-set which will be extremely useful for a professional customs broker. I like the company culture along with the stable benefits. I switched to customs brokerage after I moved to Canada and I think this company was a good choice for me. Most of the staff are good and willing to help when you have a difficult problem to solve. There are a few negative people, but that's the same at any company I've worked for.
Pros
Good stable environment
Cons
The software is kind of old. It could be more efficient and faster.
I started off in Reception and then moved into Quick Add after eight months. I was then transferred to ground release. Most of the supervisors are also moms, so they understand what it's like to keep the balance. My present shift is Tuesday to Saturday 6 PM to 2 AM. I'd rather start a little earlier so I can get more sleep before my daughter has to get ready for school. On the plus side, I save on daycare because I can switch off with my husband on her care. I especially like the feeling that I'm learning something new every day and that PCB pays for my CCS course. I have great coworkers. Some days are really busy, especially Fridays. It can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Good coworkers, Good supervisors, Supportive atmosphere, Tuition is paid, Fantastic Reception staff!
Cons
Can be really busy, gravel lot parking, office gets too hot in summer
I started out in Produce Release. The work is mostly sitting at a computer and filling out the entries. I later moved to Air Release, which is pretty much the same but at a faster rate. There were a lot of experienced people around so I could always ask questions. After a few years, the junior people came to me when they were having a problem with an entry. It's a supportive atmosphere and it really felt like we were a team. Summer can be crazy busy, especially on Friday afternoons. It slows down a bit in winter.
Pros
Could work afternoons and evenings so I didn't have to pay for daycare, managers are supportive, good coworkers, free gym and trainer, discounts at the restaurant, paid for my CCS
Cons
There is no public transportation so you need to have a car, my husband and I moved to Ontario and they don't have an office there
I had never heard of customs brokerage, so I just took a chance and clicked on the job ad because it was near my house. The location is good and I don't have to cross any bridges or tunnels. I also like that they took a chance on hiring someone without office experience. I worked more than ten years in retail and took an MOA course to try to get out of that, but there are almost no jobs in that field. PCB took me on and trained me from scratch. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. Also, kudos to management for having the guts to remove toxic people. I've worked with a lot of really terrible coworkers and managers in my previous jobs. Always complaining and moaning about everything and everyone. PCB understands that those people poison the atmosphere for the rest of us and will let them go. It doesn't happen often but it's always warranted when it does. Retail hangs on to whoever sells a lot, no matter how much of a jerk they are. It's really frustrating.
Pros
Good benefits, supportive management, advancement opportunities
Cons
I wish there was more parking space in the back lot
Working all shifts I met some great people, the management is not helpful and are not personable. I was always uncomfortable asking any superior for help or clarification. They do not problem solve and expect that you sink or swim with no direction or training. One of the worst place I have worked at and highly recommend people do their research before applying here. There is a high turn over rate as they try to push people through without care and overtime is mandatory. They have lost many big clients from the lack of training and professional customer service.
Pros
The owner is generous
Cons
The management is awful and uncaring
Official response from Pacific Customs Brokers
8 February 2018
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you felt your experience was not a positive one. For the record, however, PCB offers extensive training, with a full-time trainer, tuition reimbursement for a wide range of courses, study groups for the Certified Customs Specialist designation, feedback from senior trade compliance personnel, and more. All supervisors have been selected not only for their technical skills but also for their ability to connect with and nurture their reports. As well, all are put through supervisory skills courses at BCIT to build upon their natural aptitude.With some of the largest companies in Canada as clients, PCB continues to grow and we welcome applicants with a desire to develop in their careers.Finally, my best wishes to you in your ongoing career. I hope you find a company more suited for your needs.
Pacific Customs Brokers Ltd. was the best employer I have ever worked for. Management was supportive, encouraged personal and professional growth and supported and encouraged a "team environment". They strived to help each employee be the best they could be and therefore helped create a strong company that prided itself on providing EXCELLENT Customer Service, in a competitive industry. If I had not married my American boyfriend and moved to the US, I would still be happily and gratefully employed there. The environment at PCB Ltd. was conducive to productivity, growth, professional career advancement and education. An excellent, positive work place environment. I truly felt that I was a valuable and valued employee.
Pros
Excellent healthcare benefits, Management who cared and resolved any issues.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pacific Customs Brokers?