Pacific Customs Brokers Employee Reviews

I enjoy going to work every day
Customs Release Agent (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 February 2018
I started off in Reception and then moved into Quick Add after eight months. I was then transferred to ground release.

Most of the supervisors are also moms, so they understand what it's like to keep the balance. My present shift is Tuesday to Saturday 6 PM to 2 AM. I'd rather start a little earlier so I can get more sleep before my daughter has to get ready for school. On the plus side, I save on daycare because I can switch off with my husband on her care.

I especially like the feeling that I'm learning something new every day and that PCB pays for my CCS course. I have great coworkers.

Some days are really busy, especially Fridays. It can get pretty crazy at times.
Pros
Good coworkers, Good supervisors, Supportive atmosphere, Tuition is paid, Fantastic Reception staff!
Cons
Can be really busy, gravel lot parking, office gets too hot in summer
Great environment. Good staff and atmosphere
Customs Release Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 February 2018
I started out in Produce Release. The work is mostly sitting at a computer and filling out the entries. I later moved to Air Release, which is pretty much the same but at a faster rate.

There were a lot of experienced people around so I could always ask questions. After a few years, the junior people came to me when they were having a problem with an entry. It's a supportive atmosphere and it really felt like we were a team.

Summer can be crazy busy, especially on Friday afternoons. It slows down a bit in winter.
Pros
Could work afternoons and evenings so I didn't have to pay for daycare, managers are supportive, good coworkers, free gym and trainer, discounts at the restaurant, paid for my CCS
Cons
There is no public transportation so you need to have a car, my husband and I moved to Ontario and they don't have an office there
Hidden Gem in South Surrey
Customs Release Agent (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 February 2018
I had never heard of customs brokerage, so I just took a chance and clicked on the job ad because it was near my house. The location is good and I don't have to cross any bridges or tunnels. I also like that they took a chance on hiring someone without office experience. I worked more than ten years in retail and took an MOA course to try to get out of that, but there are almost no jobs in that field. PCB took me on and trained me from scratch. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Also, kudos to management for having the guts to remove toxic people. I've worked with a lot of really terrible coworkers and managers in my previous jobs. Always complaining and moaning about everything and everyone. PCB understands that those people poison the atmosphere for the rest of us and will let them go. It doesn't happen often but it's always warranted when it does. Retail hangs on to whoever sells a lot, no matter how much of a jerk they are. It's really frustrating.
Pros
Good benefits, supportive management, advancement opportunities
Cons
I wish there was more parking space in the back lot
Management is awful
Release agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 January 2018
Working all shifts I met some great people, the management is not helpful and are not personable. I was always uncomfortable asking any superior for help or clarification. They do not problem solve and expect that you sink or swim with no direction or training. One of the worst place I have worked at and highly recommend people do their research before applying here. There is a high turn over rate as they try to push people through without care and overtime is mandatory. They have lost many big clients from the lack of training and professional customer service.
Pros
The owner is generous
Cons
The management is awful and uncaring
Official response from Pacific Customs Brokers
8 February 2018

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you felt your experience was not a positive one.

For the record, however, PCB offers extensive training, with a full-time trainer, tuition reimbursement for a wide range of courses, study groups for the Certified Customs Specialist designation, feedback from senior trade compliance personnel, and more.

All supervisors have been selected not only for their technical skills but also for their ability to connect with and nurture their reports. As well, all are put through supervisory skills courses at BCIT to build upon their natural aptitude.

With some of the largest companies in Canada as clients, PCB continues to grow and we welcome applicants with a desire to develop in their careers.

Finally, my best wishes to you in your ongoing career. I hope you find a company more suited for your needs.

If I could give this employer zero stars, I would
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 January 2018
Management is terrible. Constant power tripping by all upper management. The management has no idea of how to manage people. It is their way or the highway. They do not care about their employees. It is close to slave labour.
productive and fun place to work
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 May 2017
review and send reports to staff on issues relating to compliance in the processing and submission of Customs documents. Reply to clients requests for information regarding invoices, documents and classification of importations.
Pros
Great benefits and profit sharing
fast pace environment
Customs Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 October 2016
constantly changing environment
co workers are fun
hardest part of the job is keeping up to date
very high volumes on the weekends
Pros
company insentives
Cons
high stress
Release Agent
Customs Release Agent (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 April 2015
Pacific Customs Brokers Ltd. was the best employer I have ever worked for. Management was supportive, encouraged personal and professional growth and supported and encouraged a "team environment". They strived to help each employee be the best they could be and therefore helped create a strong company that prided itself on providing EXCELLENT Customer Service, in a competitive industry.

If I had not married my American boyfriend and moved to the US, I would still be happily and gratefully employed there.

The environment at PCB Ltd. was conducive to productivity, growth, professional career advancement and education. An excellent, positive work place environment.

I truly felt that I was a valuable and valued employee.
Pros
Excellent healthcare benefits, Management who cared and resolved any issues.
Productive, Long Hours
Release Technician (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 December 2013
Long hours, long commute, nice co-workers, varied shifts because office is open 24/7, gym on-site.