Pacific Blue Cross Pay & benefits reviews

• Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive work space with room to grow

Excellent mentorship, great benefits flexible hours. I worked with a 4 day week, room for flexibility. Management was great, very helpful management at the time. Awesome fitness area and cafeteria.

Official response from Pacific Blue Cross

4 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We strive to engage our staff in a healthy work environment which includes building cohesive teams, having supportive leadership, as well as providing great benefit plans, onsite amenities, and flexible work options.

Highly recommend PBC

PBC treats their employees amazing! The office building has a rooftop terrace in the cafeteria, a gym and plenty of light throughout. Every desk is a sit/stand. They really do put their staff first. There is a slight blip in the culture due to the unionized environment, but it is a very minor blip.

Pros

Benefits, amenities, work/life balance

Cons

Unionized environment, parking

Official response from Pacific Blue Cross

4 December 2020
Thank you for leaving this review! We aim to improve the health and wellbeing on of our members and staff by providing these amenities and benefits to enable people to perform at their best while being comfortable in their work environment. Pacific Blue Cross is working hard to align the interests of management and the Union to ensure we work toward our shared vision of a healthy and sustainable future for Pacific Blue Cross employees and members.We are limited in the number of parking spots we have onsite. We manage it in a fair and consistent manner by providing parking onsite and offsite, promoting biking, carpooling, and using transit (as we are located between two skytrain lines). There are also neighboring parking lots available as an option.

Csr

Good training program and tuition program to further your education. Nice co-workers. Taking constant calls can be stressful. Great benefits for employees.

Great company, but there's trust issues

I've worked in call centers and various administrative roles for 10 years. I always thought I was a job hopper but then I took a 12 month contract with PBC in their call center. I realized, it wasn't me - it was them. I just hadn't found a good company to work at. It's still a call center with the same expectations (KPIs, reliability, etc). The big difference is the 35 hr work week, 7.5 hr days; flex days off for appointments (you owe the hours and work them back); the pay shows their commitment to their employees; and it's unionized so you know you're protected against injustices. Additionally, there are opportunities to apply to other departments. So if you want to get experience elsewhere, take a break from the call center, that's a possibility. A lot of people do it. It's not perfect, though. Nothing is of course. There's some trust issues from the lock out in 2017. Not without warrant, they have every right to feel that way. I feel lucky to have joined after the lock out had been resolved. It's just hard to feel good about a place that I know is objectively a good place to work when there are people around me who still have hard feelings and voice them often. Aside from that, it's hard to get a permanent position until you get high enough seniority. Plus, permanent positions aren't posted often, even when it makes sense for them to be posted. That's only a concern if you're trying to do family planning and you want a job to come back to I guess.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, flexible schedule, good work/life balance

Cons

Job security

Great benefits

As a health and wellness company, there was a commitment to healthy living with a good cafeteria, and gym facilities. Also allowed for flex days to balance out your life schedule

Pros

Healthy living directive

Cons

Software and business ideas outdated

Amazing company to work for!

They really stand by their employees' well-being. Everything from attendance policies to benefits is great. Management shifted after the recent lock out and things are as peaceful as they can be.

Pros

Comp package, clear lines of communication and procedures

Cons

unionized, seneority based, temp positions

Productive Workplace

Office job with collaboration and team work. Usually very supportive. Requires knowledge of benefits and insurance field. Most enjoyable is working with other people. Can be tough at times like any other customer service position.

Pays Well

Worked for a short time in the mailroom. Pay is good here, as expected of such a large company. Colleagues were kind. Not much to say about the company as I cannot judge it for how brief I worked here for.

Pros

Pays well

Cons

Unsure

Pacific Blue Cross

I have worked at PBC for almost 9 months, and for the last 1.5, we have been on strike because of changes proposed by management. Prior to the strike, I loved working at PBC. The hours, wage and benefits were outstanding. The culture was warm and I found my fellow employees and supervisors knowledgable and approachable. Leading up to the strike, the environment and culture changed dramatically. Employees were clearly unhappy with changes, including hours, schedules, wages and benefits.

Pros

Onsite cafeteria, good hours, benefits

Cons

Pay parking only, job action, divided company

Hired during Rotation Labour Disruptions

The training was all over the place, no consistency then we were thrown onto the phones, rather stressful I am confused as to why Management would hire a new class of CSRs during the Union rotating Labour Disruptions so now after only a month of training and working combined we were Locked Out by the employer and had to picket in order to receive any sort of compensation Annoyed that I left a very stable job for a new and promising opportunity, only to be unsure having a job even after the negotiations are settled

Was a good place to work but new management making it unbearable

I've risen up through the ranks over many years and it has been a good ride. However, new CEO and cohorts have ruined the employees' morale and is taking us in a direction that may not be best.

Pros

Good compensation and job security

Cons

New cut-throat corporate culture with new CEO

Csr

help members with their questions and answer phone calls. advise clients of their benefit limits and review their claims application and status. great benefits.

Pros

great hours and benefits.

Pros and cons

Overall the work keeps you busy. Depending on what department you work in, a lot of it is time managed. It's unionized so you are protected. There are tons of people that work there that shouldn't have a job there. It's a 50/50 environment. Watch out for lots of office gossip. Lots of people love talking behind your back. The management and HR tend to be fake. They are nice to your face but secretly wish they could fire half the building. Yet since they are unionized, their hands are tied. Expectations are high and productivity seems to be low. Yes the pay and benefits are great, yet majority of the employees are unhappy and find themselves stuck working in their day to day routine. I'm sure the people that do leave company find themselves relieved.

Benefits

Cons

Work environment is unstable

great place to work

great cafeteria, fun staff, great benefits and great working hours.

Pros

nice building

Cons

lots of work

Pacific Blue Cross

I processed medical and dental claims for PBC. It was a fun environment but extremely busy as they clocked our input hourly. I learned much about medical meds and found it very interesting and informative.

Pros

Good pay and benefits, worked contract though

Cons

Being clocked hourly was stressful

Pacific Blue Cross

• Handle 75 to 100 incoming calls per day from health-care providers, members (insured subscribers), administrators and government agencies regarding Dental and/or Extended Health Care plans and claims. • Act as a Pacific Blue Cross ambassador • Listen to customers and analyze their needs in a courteous and professional manner • Offer solutions that are adapted to caller needs • Handle and overcome guest concerns • Data entry • Maintain Quality Assurance by reviewing group benefit plan packages • Processing a variety of group plan benefits

Productive and rewarding team environment

Handling all manner of important and urgent incidents in a team atmosphere with learned skills and confidence.

Pros

enjoyable working environment with excellent benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Blue Cross. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement