Pacific Blue Cross

Pacific Blue Cross Employee Reviews

It's okay

The days that are not stressful is when they have everyone in working. Once people go on vacation or call in sick the call center becomes very busy and it is back to back calls.

7 September 2021
Thank you for leaving this review and for stepping up to support the team when staff are away. We appreciate your contributions toward our team environment.

Highly recommend PBC

PBC treats their employees amazing! The office building has a rooftop terrace in the cafeteria, a gym and plenty of light throughout. Every desk is a sit/stand. They really do put their staff first. There is a slight blip in the culture due to the unionized environment, but it is a very minor blip.

Pros

Benefits, amenities, work/life balance

Cons

Unionized environment, parking

4 December 2020
Thank you for leaving this review! We aim to improve the health and wellbeing on of our members and staff by providing these amenities and benefits to enable people to perform at their best while being comfortable in their work environment. Pacific Blue Cross is working hard to align the interests of management and the Union to ensure we work toward our shared vision of a healthy and sustainable future for Pacific Blue Cross employees and members.We are limited in the number of parking spots we have onsite. We manage it in a fair and consistent manner by providing parking onsite and offsite, promoting biking, carpooling, and using transit (as we are located between two skytrain lines). There are also neighboring parking lots available as an option.

productive

Interesting work, fast-paced, collaborative culture. People are good and supportive. Things move quickly, you need to be willing to contribute from day one.

4 December 2020
Thank you for your review and for highlighting the strength of our team atmosphere, and for indicating that work is fast-paced and interesting.

Productive work space with room to grow

Excellent mentorship, great benefits flexible hours. I worked with a 4 day week, room for flexibility. Management was great, very helpful management at the time. Awesome fitness area and cafeteria.

4 December 2020
Thank you for your review! We strive to engage our staff in a healthy work environment which includes building cohesive teams, having supportive leadership, as well as providing great benefit plans, onsite amenities, and flexible work options.

Good benefits but low morale.

Ever since the 2017 labour disruption the work environment drastically changed and little improvements have been made to restore the relationship between management and union staff. Especially from upper management.

Csr

Good training program and tuition program to further your education. Nice co-workers. Taking constant calls can be stressful. Great benefits for employees.

Great company, but there's trust issues

I've worked in call centers and various administrative roles for 10 years. I always thought I was a job hopper but then I took a 12 month contract with PBC in their call center. I realized, it wasn't me - it was them. I just hadn't found a good company to work at. It's still a call center with the same expectations (KPIs, reliability, etc). The big difference is the 35 hr work week, 7.5 hr days; flex days off for appointments (you owe the hours and work them back); the pay shows their commitment to their employees; and it's unionized so you know you're protected against injustices. Additionally, there are opportunities to apply to other departments. So if you want to get experience elsewhere, take a break from the call center, that's a possibility. A lot of people do it. It's not perfect, though. Nothing is of course. There's some trust issues from the lock out in 2017. Not without warrant, they have every right to feel that way. I feel lucky to have joined after the lock out had been resolved. It's just hard to feel good about a place that I know is objectively a good place to work when there are people around me who still have hard feelings and voice them often. Aside from that, it's hard to get a permanent position until you get high enough seniority. Plus, permanent positions aren't posted often, even when it makes sense for them to be posted. That's only a concern if you're trying to do family planning and you want a job to come back to I guess.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, flexible schedule, good work/life balance

Cons

Job security

Great team and amazing support all across the organization. The work life balance is amazing and most importantly there is no micromanagement and people are very driven.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Turnover

4 December 2020
Thank you for your review and for highlighting the quality of our people, supporting our work/life balance philosophy, and for mentioning our flexible work hours. We aim to reduce turnover by updating recruitment processes, getting employee engagement feedback, and through ongoing coaching to provide staff with the support they need to achieve their goals.

Strike Environment

I worked at PBC during the strike period so the work environment was hostile and negative. Management created an "us vs them" environment so anyone not part of the upper echelon was on pins and needles all the time.

Terrible clique culture, heavy into seniority

....at least you can pretty much make up your own schedule with the flex time. People here ostracize new employees, not allowing them to get to know their teams. Team Leads and managers are inaccessible when you need help. All new trainees are left floundering. Thankfully for many, it’s a 3 month temp job. For the others, they’ll be stuck trying to apply for a new role once their term is up. People sure love to talk about their seniority here.

Great benefits

As a health and wellness company, there was a commitment to healthy living with a good cafeteria, and gym facilities. Also allowed for flex days to balance out your life schedule

Pros

Healthy living directive

Cons

Software and business ideas outdated

Amazing company to work for!

They really stand by their employees' well-being. Everything from attendance policies to benefits is great. Management shifted after the recent lock out and things are as peaceful as they can be.

Pros

Comp package, clear lines of communication and procedures

Cons

unionized, seneority based, temp positions

Not a very well run company

It could have been my timing of employment, however this company is not even 'run.' Changes happen on a daily, and there is no conguency. There are some amazingly talented employees, however they are not given the right opportunities to excel.

Productive Workplace

Office job with collaboration and team work. Usually very supportive. Requires knowledge of benefits and insurance field. Most enjoyable is working with other people. Can be tough at times like any other customer service position.

team enviroment

sorting mail on conveyor belt machine, filing mail into proper slots of cabinet, to go to certain depts. sorting cheques to be mailed to customers.stamping mail. picking mail from bins.

Pros

good breaks

Supportive work environment

Good team environment. Nice people. Always lots to learn and we are proud union members who have achieved high solidarity over the past year. Been here for over 5 years.

Pros

Good work life balance. No Saturdays and/or Sundays

Lots of confusion and changes in the policy and procedure

Staff is confused about constant changes in management, procedure, and policies. Too many tasks assigned.Minimum onboarding training. Some policies are not clear to the employees.

Pros

Good office location

Cons

Too many tasks

Pays Well

Worked for a short time in the mailroom. Pay is good here, as expected of such a large company. Colleagues were kind. Not much to say about the company as I cannot judge it for how brief I worked here for.

Pros

Pays well

Cons

Unsure

Pacific Blue Cross

I have worked at PBC for almost 9 months, and for the last 1.5, we have been on strike because of changes proposed by management. Prior to the strike, I loved working at PBC. The hours, wage and benefits were outstanding. The culture was warm and I found my fellow employees and supervisors knowledgable and approachable. Leading up to the strike, the environment and culture changed dramatically. Employees were clearly unhappy with changes, including hours, schedules, wages and benefits.

Pros

Onsite cafeteria, good hours, benefits

Cons

Pay parking only, job action, divided company

Hired during Rotation Labour Disruptions

The training was all over the place, no consistency then we were thrown onto the phones, rather stressful I am confused as to why Management would hire a new class of CSRs during the Union rotating Labour Disruptions so now after only a month of training and working combined we were Locked Out by the employer and had to picket in order to receive any sort of compensation Annoyed that I left a very stable job for a new and promising opportunity, only to be unsure having a job even after the negotiations are settled

Friendly and respect full work place

I enjoyed working at Pacific blue cross. Very friendly co workers , great benefit, gave a lot of feedback to employees. loved my job since i was in charge of managing my daily work but still on schedule. the only issue was me having a temporary position that could end at anytime.

Pros

Gym at work place

Cons

having a temporary position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Blue Cross. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement

Compare Pacific Blue Cross with

• Pacific Blue Cross
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?