OZ Optics

OZ Optics Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Great environment to work in. However location was not desirable. Management needs better communication with staff. Not to much opportunity available for advancement.
The owner is horrible. He constantly makes threats towards employees and treats them with no respect at all. Worst experience ever. The environment is extremely toxic, I do not recommended working here even to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Owner
Working at Oz Optics has been quite the experience. You can definitely learn a lot from working here in terms of pacing, time management as well as juggling different types of work, but overall I'd say you'll learn those skills due to bad management and disorganization.
Terribly bad environment long hours low pay demanded of you by all upper management owner walks around screaming in people's faces until they are crying and melt down....
Cons
Very challenging, never bored and learn every day. Good people, management is good, flexible with time off.
The owner is very rewarding to employees with good ideas.
Long shifts, very busy and stressful work environment. Very nice people to work with. Great free employee appreciation meal every month once. Good health and dental benefits. Pays low but always on time.
A work is usually same at all days like same kind of products and i like a most a work environment because all staff are so friendly and helpful so its really fun to work with all people.i am learning so many things from this OZ Optics Ltd.
The people I worked for were fantastic and very knowledgeable about there respective fields. Everyone worked diligently and effectively to get everything done. As well soccer is huge at OZ as most of the employees love soccer or play soccer.
It was a very good place to work and I enjoyed a lot.
it is a place you can learn a lot. it is like a university for new to the job market. although it seems at the beginning everything strange.
Cons
So many nice people work there....but the management is awful. Weekly meeting to get yelled at. 44+ hours a week with not breaks. Lunch room was taken away and the lunch room was moved to a locker room. Learned a lot there, but there was no room for moving up in the company.
Pros
nice people.
Cons
Owner, long hours no breaks. Owner. Having lunch in a locker room. and worse owner
You never know when the owner is going to yell at you or someone else.

Hard to make improvements when the owner has to approve every process change. especially since he is not knowledgeable in all areas.
Pros
Cons
Owner
Many great people work at OZ Optics that are intelligent and dedicated to doing a good job. The management is not good, there is no trust and no room for advancement.
Pros
Great facilities, some very good eomployees
Cons
Very poor management, long after hours meetings held captive by senior management not relative to specific job tasks.
I learned several techniques for troubleshooting Virtual Machines and data servers. Most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity of tasks that where assigned to me. They ranged from working on optical devices to technocal programs on the computer such as Matlab, Labview, and various others.
I have been at OZ Optics since 1998, started as junior administrator.
Over the years, company helped me take a lot of training, now being a manager, I can say that OZ Optics values loyalty and hard work. It is a fast paced but family oriented manufacturing company, where I feel as if I am being part of a family.

This is the reason why I am still at OZ Optics (20 years)
Pros
Company has always supported employees in various ways, No politics here. Lots of learning apportunities
Cons
44 hours/week
Some of the staff made me uncomfortable and their behavior was unprofessional. They do not pay enough for the work required. The lack of communication skills provided by the owner's is discouraging and causes the employees to suffer.
Nice place to work. Always busy. Long hours but pay was always on time. Dependable and reliable growing company. It is not a dream! place but it is like everywhere else. Would work for them again.
I had a really good experience working at Oz Optics. I was young when I worked there and looking back feel like they are like the ex girlfriend that got away.. They say you never know what you have til its gone, and I feel that way about Oz Optics. They had so many great things for the employees. For example, a free meal every week. Shuttle buses to help people commute to and from work. Accessibility to indoor sporting functions, soccer leagues, all kinds of workout rooms, prayer rooms, fun family days with blow up castles and bbqs.. so many perks. They even had an easter egg hunt all around the grounds, paying out upwards of $20 per egg!! But it wasnt even about the money per egg, looking back just seeing how it made a great working environment, and great relations between co-workers.. Like I said earlier, the one that got away.. lol
Pros
too many to list
Cons
my own inexperience in industry
Awful workplace very stressful and fast paced
I learned a lot because of the nature of the job

Managers have very bad attitude

Awful culture

nothing enjoyable about this place
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything, Owner
When it.comes to learning on the go it starts slow but eventually you will learn a lot since it includes a R&D dept. Overall the owners are a bit coocoo and when your wife is the HR director dont expect your rights to be honoured.
Pros
Cons
Management, shouting matches
A family owned fiber optics manufacturing environment, onsite gym/soccer dome, offer a good health plan, busy and fast paced engineering environment.
Lead by excellent CEO. Great company with great people. Heavy workload as expected so work life balance can be a challenge sometimes but it is not "unreasonable".
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
salary structure is on the low side