Oxford Learning Centre

Oxford Learning Centre Employee Reviews

Canada102 reviews

Amazing environment to flourish and grow!

I worked at the Springdale location for a few years, and it was by far the best work environment I've ever been in. The management were supportive and kind, and my co-workers and fellow teachers were all genuinely good people to be around. It made coming to work enjoyable and fun. The only downside is the hours, as it's an after school type of program, thus the availability for full time hours isn't very possible. Highly highly recommend this company and this location to anyone looking to gain some valuable experience in child development.

Pros

Staff, management, children, great training, supportive

Cons

Wish it was full time so I could have stayed longer

Flexible, caring and extremely positive work culture

Oxford allowed me to work flexibly being in school, they were kind and accommodating. The material and structure was clear giving you the opportunity to learn and grow as a teacher as well as support students in a way that creatively worked for them. They allowed freedom for you to teach students as you seem fit and always strived for a fun, positive learning culture. I learned so much as tutor and absolutely loved being part of such a great work environment.

Dynamic and Rewarding Job

Working at Oxford is a valuable and rewarding experience. I was able to gain teaching experience while going to school because of the flexible work schedule.

Amazing work experience for future teachers!

Really valuable experience for those looking to go into teaching. It can be as challenging as you make it. The materials are provided and simple to follow, and the job becomes very easy with experience, but by pushing myself to improve I learned a ton of really valuable classroom management skills. The management at the South Surrey location provides a really supportive, flexible work environment and they do their best to meet the needs of both you and the students. Very rewarding to form relationships with students and families over time. It's a great position for university students as the wage is good and it's exclusively part-time, but the times you can work are quite limited.

Pros

Not required to prep materials. Competitive wage. Great for university students.

Cons

No benefits. Very limited hours.

Productive and fun place to work

I worked at the Oxford South Surrey location. The management team is great and supportive. They provide fantastic training and ensure you are prepared to teach your classes. The staff are friendly and supportive as well. The centre has a "family" vibe and is very comfortable. The kids are nice and working with them doesn't feel like work!Pay is good, schedules are good too. Overall great place to work. I would recommend working here to anyone who has a passion for helping kids achieve great results.

Pros

Snack area, coffee maker, great staff, management, and students

Great Place to Work

Working at Oxford is very rewarding. The program is exceptional; you use it to help each student become a better learner as a result of the skills and learning strategies you teach them. The management team is very supportive and they, along with the teachers, work together to help each student. Oxford offers convenient part-time working hours with a maximum of three students at a time. I highly recommend working there!

Pros

Great working environment, supportive staff, convenient hours

Perfect part time work for students

fun workplace with very encouraging and supportive management at the st. catharines location. you learn a lot in a short period of time and build great relationships with the students. would recommend for students who are looking for part time evening work!

Pros

positive community, low stress, lots of support

Cons

limited hours

Awesome place to gain teaching experience

I've been working here for almost 3 years, and it is one of the best jobs I've ever had. If you are passionate about helping students reach their full potential, you will love working at Oxford! There is a thorough training program (fully paid), which includes online training about different learning disabilities and how to best help students learn, as well as nearly a month of shadowing other teachers within the same subject. After that, you get your own students who you work with typically 2 hours a week. The younger ones work on the Oxford curriculum, which includes a wide variety of math and language skills, as well as essential study skills. High school students oftentimes come in for curriculum support, which means you are helping them edit essays, write lab reports, or understand their math homework!There are two program coordinators (one for primary/junior and one for intermediate) who are extremely kind and are there to help you with any challenges you might be having with your students. The owner is also really kind and fun to work with. Oxford Learning is like a family, in that every staff member is there to support each other and care for one another. Shifts are typically 3 or 4 hours long, where each hour you have a different group of students (max. 3 per hour). Typically you work either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays. Saturday morning shifts are also available on a volunteer basis. The best part of the job is seeing one of your students succeed in something they did not think it was possible to succeed in. The joy on their face when they get -

Pros

Great environment, Helpful and supportive management, Fixed weekly schedule, Quarterly staff meetings with treats, Going above and beyond gets recognized and appreciated

Cons

Limited hours, No benefits

Great part-time job for students

Evening work.Good team and culture.Meet with students and families.Above minimum wage.Low hours and many days. You work every day for few hours and end up wasting time communting.

Pros

Not too stressful, but after become redundant.

Cons

Very little hours. Cannot live off of them.

Productive and fun loving

Loved the workplace and the environment- very genuine management team looking for the best in you. Admired the owner for her vision and passion. Always respectful towards the staff and extremely professional. I got to learn a lot from her! True leader

Pros

Amazing Management Team

Great Management Team

This team especially the owner is professional and result oriented. She sets the expectations from the start and gives you ample opportunities to prove yourself. I loved working there. The team is awesome, amazing and so supportive.

Pros

Professional

Low hours, low pay, difficult students

There are obviously some great things about working with kids and helping them succeed. That look in their eyes when they fully understand what they're learning is amazing!But, the hours a low (after school tutoring), the pay is low (franchises with large overhead costs), and tough students to deal with. Because we had little to no training, we weren't really shown how to operate within oxford's methods and expectations. You're basically thrown into teaching and told to "figure it out."Since they hire basically anyone, with or without a teaching degree, there is no teaching they provide on students who may or may not have learning disabilities.Oxford likes to think that they can help students with any level of ability, but there are many limitations to their programming. The concept of focusing on the basics is great, in theory. In practice, this causes problems, because the parents often expect much faster progress than we can provide them. This then causes stress on the kids because their parents expect more from them.All in, the job isn't terrible, but the franchises aren't on a tight enough leash for the execution to be as good as it can be. The concept is brilliant, but in actuality it falls short.

Pros

helping kids succeed, watching your students go on to new heights

Cons

hours suck, pay is awful, students are often tough, training is trash

Perfect job

I worked at the Burlington South location and couldn't have asked for a better job. It barely felt like a job, it was a very fun, engaging and satisfying work environment. I really felt like I made a difference in a lot of kid's lives and had no stressful preparation for lessons. The only reason I don't work there still is because it's not the kind of place one can obtain more than part time hours, so definitely recommended for post secondary students or occasional teachers looking to make some extra cash.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Not enough hours available

Great workplace but a stressful management team

I was on the management team for 1.5 years. We recently had gotten a new owner and she controlled my schedule. She made me work extra hours outside of my required hours plus weekends on my days off. It was great at first, but the pressure started to build. Eventually, the only part of the job I started to enjoy was teaching the students. Behind the scenes was a completely different experience. The owner needs to be careful with her head team.

Productive and caring workplace

The staff and management at Oxford is amazing.They make sure you are fully trained and prepare you for your job. You need to have patience with your students and learn a lot from them.

Very stressful

Iwould have loved to work at this establishment but they changed my hours after i started. They also expect you to do work outside of business hours. The mamagement was in Ontario so it was all over the phone.

Rewarding experience

Amazing and rewarding place to work. Everyone at Oxford cares about their students and other teachers. The curriculums are designed well and are easy to follow. I would recommend working here! It's a really great job for those who are completing a teaching program / University students. The salary is not the greatest, but it's an experience worthwhile.

Great, inclusive environment!

I would highly recommend this place. Great work place. Great team. The management team was very supportive and they let you be yourself. They truly cared about you.

Organized and has clear instructions

I worked for a little while here but found the practices sound and the instructions clear. The management pays attention to the progress recorded for every student, the environment and the colleagues are great, they watch the teachers interact with the students and provide feedback. I liked the professionalism and the center manager was excellent at what she did.

Productive and Fun workplace

It's a great first job for any educator trying to move up in the workplace. They have great English ESL classes for seniors, newcomers and also children

High stress, low pay

The job at first seemed like it would be rewarding if you love teaching children. Later on, observed unprofessional behaviour by a member of management that made workplace culture toxic. The children and families were great. The owner was not forthright about a lot of serious issues. Ok level entry experience for someone looking for a career in something else. Its low pay , high demands, and high stress

Pros

Teaching children, good teaching materials

Cons

Unscheduled breaks during 8 hours, low pay, and high stress, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxford Learning Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Oxford Learning Centre with