Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Found 45 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,460 reviews

Fantastic work environment

It was fantastic due to the fact that was my first experience overseas, People from exam Oxfam helped me out a lot to blend into the the British work environment.

Environnement agréable et professionel

J'ai beaucoup appris durant mon stage ainsi ca m'a aidé a developper mes connaissances dans mon domaine.

Bad team leaders with bad judgement who can and will fire you on whim. Waste of time.

I had a very poor experience in my short time as an employee with Oxfam. After having gone through a somewhat lengthy (but pleasant) process to obtain employment as a trainee fundraiser at Oxfam, I was ruthlessly fired after working on field for half a day. The reasons they gave were that I apparently didn’t know my script to a satisfactory standard and did not have a personality suitable for the role. I must emphasise again that this judgement was formed after working there for half a day (just a number of hours). I was not even provided with sufficient feedback, given the opportunity to improve or provided with any support or encouragement , instead I had the misfortune of working under a negative team leader who seemed to look down upon new recruits like myself.I attempted to understand this seemingly rash dismissal by discussing it with another team leader (who was the one who fired me). This team leader responded by informing me that she had “fired people within minutes before” (said as if it was supposed to make me feel better for lasting half a day before getting fired). This company evidently does not treat new recruits with respect and I suspect must has a high turnover rate. I would however like to acknowledge a select few people during the hiring process and via zoom orientation who were pleasant to engage with. However, the team leaders, who new recruits are subjected to work with on a daily basis, in my experience are horrible and they are the ones who have the power to fire you on whim after one bad day (or hour) on the job. I would recommend not opting to work -

Pros

Cons

Bad team leaders

Worst internship ever! Was my first experience after my graduation too! Unpaid too! Run for your life!

Run for your life !!!Unpaid internship !!!They treat you like a dog and are hypocrite !!!Was my first experience after my graduation !!!Worst internship ever !!!Run for your life !!!

The cause is amazing but management is negative

The cause is amazing, fundraising for it was meaningful. The management don’t trust in the team. Usually the leader is spying you to check if you are working and they don’t give you training, just 3 hours orientation and they send you to the streets. Even if you do a good job and get the sign ups if you have a bad day without sign ups they can fire you in the street, it is the worst experience in my professional life.

Bien

Bien mais c’était du bénévolat scolaire. Donc je ne peux pas vraiment comparer

Formidable

L'experience a ete fantastique pendant l'ete et il y a vait beaucoup a apprendre.

Learning, fun and purposeful experience

Working as an Oxfam fundraiser has been an immense pleasure for me. If you are looking for a positive work environment, diverse culture and a supportive team, this is the place to be. Growth and development of the employees is a priority for the management team and they provide the necessary support at all times. Creativity and new ideas are always welcomed and encouraged. It is an outdoors job which lets you visit new locations and meet new people, everything an extrovert like me can dream of. The job is a bit exhausting due to weather conditions and some of the indifferent people. However, at the end of the day, you sleep knowing you did something to make the world a better place than it was yesterday. If you have good communication skills, passionate about women’s rights and care about the issues of the world, come and join us at Oxfam.

Challenging but extremely rewarding and supportive job environment

Working at Oxfam has been an incredible experience even a month in to the job. The team is hard working, well organized and extremely supportive. This job has given me some of the best coworkers I have ever had, as well as the Best management team I’ve ever worked for. The job itself is very challenging, and has required me to push myself in ways I’ve never done before, however this challenge has allowed me to build skills that I will hold on to my entire life. The perfect job for anyone who is willing to put their heart and soul into the work. Overall an incredibly meaningful experience.

Pros

Good wage, supportive work environment, office dog

Fun and enthusiastic team!

I have been working on the door team since it started, and the amount of neighbourhoods I have gotten to explore throughout the time has given me great insight of the city of Vancouver! Not only do I get to chat with people as my job, but also get to walk around in various neighbourhoods for an amazing cause that does good in people’s lives worldwide which has been truly incredible! The team comes with variety of experiences in different fields, and I have gotten to learn about people from various backgrounds.

The best charity fundraising experience in Canada

Over the last 10 years I have worked for 4 fundraising companies in 2 different countries & I can honestly say that the Oxfam frontliners are by far the best. The management team are supportive & really want to see their employees thrive, they genuinely believe in & love the charity they represent, they are ethical & they believe in their staff. Fundraising is a hard job, dealing with the level of rejection we deal with can be really difficult but the team there holds each other up, you are never alone. On top of all of this you get to grow as a person, you learn how to be a great leader & you learn what words like “mindset” & “motivation” truly mean. If you are looking for a job that leaves you with a sense of purpose, that pushes you to grow, that challenges you, Oxfam Frontliners is for you.

Pros

Team environment, personal development, purposeful

Cons

Rejection can be disheartening

Supportive team, Impactful work, great pay

Working as an Oxfam Frontliner has been incredible. The team is the most supportive and wonderful group I’ve ever met. A typical day includes meeting with the group, and then spending the day outdoors canvassing. You work at a new location every day which makes it a great job to help someone learn about the city. The job is outdoors, there’s an adorable office dog, and everyone you work with will quickly become a friend. What more could you ask for? On top of all that, when I come home from this job, I do so with the knowledge that I’ve truly made a positive impact in this world. There’s no better feeling. It’s a job that requires a lot of resilience but the pay-off is great both monetarily and work-wise. If you’re passionate about world issues and women’s rights, this is the place to be.

Pros

Great culture, great pay, impactful work

Cons

sometimes the weather sucks, people on the street can be rude

Learn, raise awareness and inspire

Working as a fundraiser at Oxfam has allowed me to sharpen my communication skills and learn how to engage with people to make an incredible impact for a global cause I care about. The team is young, energetic and supportive. Our shared passion for advocacy creates a fun, collaborative environment allowing us to learn from each other. On a typical day, we raise awareness of the organization’s work, goals and provide resources to potential donors. Our responsibility is to secure donations that support Oxfam projects globally. We mainly work outdoors so it is important to dress appropriately (check the weather) and manage your energy to work efficiently.

Manager

hiring people and reconciling accounts Management skills Everyone counts no matter the culture Hiring 60 people at the same week Training employees about finance and administration procedures

Salary is well earned.

This is a super challenging job. It's a constant grind that requires being extremely outgoing and self-motivated. It's not uncommon for longtime employees to go a week or more with no results, so the audition period is very hard to pass. This will only be sustainable for you in the long term if you can handle 35+ rejections to your face a day; occasionally going a few weeks with virtually no success and the high-performance expectations. If you're cut out for this, you'll gain a meaningful career; a massively supportive office; a super high starting wage; unfathomable charisma and grit. The short-term experience is good enough that ANYBODY currently working for less than 18 an hour should at least do their bank account a favour and give this job a shot.

Pros

High starting wage, plenty of corporate support, office parties, flexibility, accommodating management

Cons

extreme motivation drain

Walking for the peace

I was a member of a fundraising organisation. I did it for commitment. I need to collect funds for the cause (building a water well for a country) and also walk to show my sympathy for the needy.

Good Experience

Productive and fun environment .Lovable people. With a great atmosphere. I've never worked for a place where I was actually happy to work for them..

Environnement de travail assez productif

Une journée de travail dans oxfam quebec est très instructive. Beaucoup de travaux, d'échanges et de partages de connaissances.

terrible

Sorry but this job was not my cup of tea. Very poor work and not enough hours. Pushed too hard and very rude Co workers and boss. Never again. Sorry...

Cons

terrible service and coworkers

Very nice place to be a volunteer

I was just a shop volunteer. But I learned quite a few things on how the volunteering helps and contributes to bigger things among other things like shop management.

Pros

It was quite an enjoyable experience

Travail Bénévole

Le travail bénévole est important car il contribue à la réalisation de soi.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3