Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
It was fantastic due to the fact that was my first experience overseas, People from exam Oxfam helped me out a lot to blend into the the British work environment.
The cause is amazing, fundraising for it was meaningful. The management don’t trust in the team. Usually the leader is spying you to check if you are working and they don’t give you training, just 3 hours orientation and they send you to the streets. Even if you do a good job and get the sign ups if you have a bad day without sign ups they can fire you in the street, it is the worst experience in my professional life.
Bien mais c’était du bénévolat scolaire. Donc je ne peux pas vraiment comparer
L'experience a ete fantastique pendant l'ete et il y a vait beaucoup a apprendre.
Working as an Oxfam fundraiser has been an immense pleasure for me. If you are looking for a positive work environment, diverse culture and a supportive team, this is the place to be.
Growth and development of the employees is a priority for the management team and they provide the necessary support at all times. Creativity and new ideas are always welcomed and encouraged.

It is an outdoors job which lets you visit new locations and meet new people, everything an extrovert like me can dream of. The job is a bit exhausting due to weather conditions and some of the indifferent people. However, at the end of the day, you sleep knowing you did something to make the world a better place than it was yesterday.

If you have good communication skills, passionate about women’s rights and care about the issues of the world, come and join us at Oxfam.
Working at Oxfam has been an incredible experience even a month in to the job. The team is hard working, well organized and extremely supportive. This job has given me some of the best coworkers I have ever had, as well as the Best management team I’ve ever worked for. The job itself is very challenging, and has required me to push myself in ways I’ve never done before, however this challenge has allowed me to build skills that I will hold on to my entire life. The perfect job for anyone who is willing to put their heart and soul into the work. Overall an incredibly meaningful experience.
Pros
Good wage, supportive work environment, office dog
I have been working on the door team since it started, and the amount of neighbourhoods I have gotten to explore throughout the time has given me great insight of the city of Vancouver!

Not only do I get to chat with people as my job, but also get to walk around in various neighbourhoods for an amazing cause that does good in people’s lives worldwide which has been truly incredible!

The team comes with variety of experiences in different fields, and I have gotten to learn about people from various backgrounds.
Over the last 10 years I have worked for 4 fundraising companies in 2 different countries & I can honestly say that the Oxfam frontliners are by far the best. The management team are supportive & really want to see their employees thrive, they genuinely believe in & love the charity they represent, they are ethical & they believe in their staff. Fundraising is a hard job, dealing with the level of rejection we deal with can be really difficult but the team there holds each other up, you are never alone. On top of all of this you get to grow as a person, you learn how to be a great leader & you learn what words like “mindset” & “motivation” truly mean. If you are looking for a job that leaves you with a sense of purpose, that pushes you to grow, that challenges you, Oxfam Frontliners is for you.
Pros
Team environment, personal development, purposeful
Cons
Rejection can be disheartening
Working as an Oxfam Frontliner has been incredible. The team is the most supportive and wonderful group I’ve ever met. A typical day includes meeting with the group, and then spending the day outdoors canvassing. You work at a new location every day which makes it a great job to help someone learn about the city. The job is outdoors, there’s an adorable office dog, and everyone you work with will quickly become a friend. What more could you ask for? On top of all that, when I come home from this job, I do so with the knowledge that I’ve truly made a positive impact in this world. There’s no better feeling. It’s a job that requires a lot of resilience but the pay-off is great both monetarily and work-wise. If you’re passionate about world issues and women’s rights, this is the place to be.
Pros
Great culture, great pay, impactful work
Cons
sometimes the weather sucks, people on the street can be rude
Working as a fundraiser at Oxfam has allowed me to sharpen my communication skills and learn how to engage with people to make an incredible impact for a global cause I care about. The team is young, energetic and supportive. Our shared passion for advocacy creates a fun, collaborative environment allowing us to learn from each other. On a typical day, we raise awareness of the organization’s work, goals and provide resources to potential donors. Our responsibility is to secure donations that support Oxfam projects globally. We mainly work outdoors so it is important to dress appropriately (check the weather) and manage your energy to work efficiently.
hiring people and reconciling accounts

Management skills

Everyone counts no matter the culture

Hiring 60 people at the same week

Training employees about finance and administration procedures
This is a super challenging job. It's a constant grind that requires being extremely outgoing and self-motivated. It's not uncommon for longtime employees to go a week or more with no results, so the audition period is very hard to pass. This will only be sustainable for you in the long term if you can handle 35+ rejections to your face a day; occasionally going a few weeks with virtually no success and the high-performance expectations. If you're cut out for this, you'll gain a meaningful career; a massively supportive office; a super high starting wage; unfathomable charisma and grit. The short-term experience is good enough that ANYBODY currently working for less than 18 an hour should at least do their bank account a favour and give this job a shot.
Pros
High starting wage, plenty of corporate support, office parties, flexibility, accommodating management
Cons
extreme motivation drain
I was a member of a fundraising organisation. I did it for commitment. I need to collect funds for the cause (building a water well for a country) and also walk to show my sympathy for the needy.
Productive and fun environment .Lovable people.
With a great atmosphere.

I've never worked for a place where I was actually happy to work for them..
Une journée de travail dans oxfam quebec est très instructive. Beaucoup de travaux, d'échanges et de partages de connaissances.
Sorry but this job was not my cup of tea. Very poor work and not enough hours. Pushed too hard and very rude Co workers and boss. Never again. Sorry...
Cons
terrible service and coworkers
I was just a shop volunteer. But I learned quite a few things on how the volunteering helps and contributes to bigger things among other things like shop management.
Pros
It was quite an enjoyable experience
Le travail bénévole est important car il contribue à la réalisation de soi.
¬ Transmettre des connaissances cinématographiques
¬ Former des élèves en Final-Cut et Premiere Pro

¬ Organiser et superviser des Ateliers
I volunteered here during high school, most people were a few years older and everyone was volunteering for a purpose (to get community hours or to look good on a CV). The manager was a super nice girl, everyone was very nice and welcoming. My job was to sort out the clothes and things people donated into appropriate piles. Sometimes I put up displays. We had to steam the clothes a lot which made the back room really hot. Also we had to tag the clothes, take out bags of clothes, print stickers. It was very easy.
Pros
Lovely people, easy job, free travel if you lived far.
Cons
No air conditioning, too much steaming.
Provided a lot of opportunites to learn about sustainability, human rights globally and locally, and food security. Great for someone who is interested in gaining global experience.