Outland Camps Employee Reviews

They take care of their employees
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2019
Working for Outland has been a great mile stone for me. The management team is always there to lend a helping hand and offer guidance. My experience with this company has been great. Work hard management sees that and they will take care of you and see your potentials.
Pros
Team driven
Cons
More work
Working at Outland is like being in an abusive relationship
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Remote22 February 2019
The company shows no loyalty when your camp shuts down and you are laid off. You have to try and find another camp on your own, as if you had never worked there.

The camp life suits me and I enjoyed the camaraderie and took pride in my work until the last camp where the manager treated it like her personal fiefdom and we were her minions. She undermined us at every opportunity, constantly correcting or micromanaging until you were so confused and insecure that you began to have a mental breakdown.
The company doesnt know who you are and doesn't care.
The money is good as they pay overtime and we work 77 hours a week for 3 weeks.
Outland is probably no better or worse than other camp catering companies, with the exception of my last camp, which was a nightmare.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
everything else
Bonne expérience
Tree Planter (Former Employee) –  Abitibi-Témiscamingue, QC20 November 2018
J'ai été planteuse d'arbre chez Outland / Forêt de demain (Québec)
Planter des arbres 10h par jour, c'est difficile physiquement, mais l'ambiance de groupe et les relations que tu développes faient que les inconforts physique prennent le bord assez rapidement.
Tu es payé à la production donc, c'est toi qui fait ton salaire, si tu es motivé tu peux faire 300$ par jour.
C'est une job parfaite pour un étudiant!
Pros
Loyer, nourris, les chefs sont excellents, l'ambiance, la paye
Cons
Aucun
free room and board while in camp
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta21 September 2018
competitive salary great management team with worker needs in mind.Willing to train and grow from within. All in all am enjoyable company to work for.
Entreprise où on peut évoluer
Premier cuisinier (Former Employee) –  Amos, QC19 May 2018
J'ai pris beaucoup d'expérience dans cette entreprise, ce qui m'a permis d'accéder à des emplois mieux rémunérés. Les horaires étaient bien, fly-in/fly-out 21/21.
Pros
Bonne gestion
Cons
Salaire, assurances
Its all about getting the job done. As it should be!
General Helper/Housekeeping Combo (Former Employee) –  Manitoba12 May 2018
Great company to work for. A real team that supports it's staff and encourages initiative.
I have worked for Outland for the past year and have found the company to be outgoing and forward thinking. They put the clients needs first and take care with details to ensure that clients feel as comfortable and at home, as possible. Camp life can be difficult and stressful for everybody as it involves long hours and being away from home for extended periods of time. Outland gets that and tries to create as comfortable a situation ad possible for both clients and staff. I found the food much better than other camp caterers I have worked for. Essentially, if you work hard and care about what you do, then you will fit in at Outland.
Pros
excellent food. great management. fun
Cons
no job security. long hours, pay less than other camp companies
Worst camp company ever!
Chef (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 May 2018
I’ve been in the industry many years and never have I seen such disorganization within management and hr! They rip you off hours and expect you to work way beyond your time on a day rate which is illegal for one.
They have no problem short staffing you in order to put more money in their pocket!
RUN!!!
Pros
Met some amazing people!
Cons
Free meals
Fun Workplace
Kitchen Staff Assistant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ON9 April 2018
I really enjoyed working with Outland Camps.

Felt very at home and comfortable with my team mates.

They are amazing to work with, and very understanding.
Was a very busy workplace, you where always on your feet.
Wash dishes, (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB10 March 2018
If you like being busy for a full shift with little time to spare this is your spot. The pay was alright, I thought. it was decent as I was hired on as a student and was getting payed $15 a hour for just scrubbing dishes.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Weird hours for dishwashers
Worst company - they will drop you with no worries or care.
1st cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton15 January 2018
Loyalty does not matter to these ppl. You could have years under your belt. The managment needs training or retraining. They are a very disorganized company.
They will drop wages without notice or reason.
Do not trust these guys. Hippy pot smoking tree planters.
Pros
Meeting ppl, food
Cons
No one cares
Terrible camp and camp management
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC9 November 2017
They don't treat everyone equally, will give one more of a work load but get paid the same as everyone else even though you're given more work! Hourly pay rate is ridiculous. Too strict and high expectations from your daily job duties. Even though you get started at $13.00 !
Just a terrible place. And if you are a person who actually likes to get the job done properly, well you will always be left with someone else's SLACK. Bunch of lazy housekeepers
Pros
Good food, fun coworkers
Cons
Pay rate and management
Loved my job miss the Outland crew!
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 July 2017
I worked near FSJ in the kitchen. Long hard days but I learnt alot and was always paid OT if they needed me to stay late. I have never been paid OT by a camp company that was appreciated.

Management was great and treated us fair. If I did not get a good job in the city i would still be there.

Choose this company over the others, i worked for a few of the other ones and none compare.
Pros
OT pay and good management
Funny job
Second Cook/Breakfast cook (Former Employee) –  Snow Lake, MB1 February 2017
worked with a lot of people the work flow in the kitchen was always awesome. always enjoyed being in the kitchen helping out or doing more prep for the next day.
Productive, Organized, Fun
FNNRYEP Ranger (Former Employee) –  Ignace, ON18 December 2016
Outland is a great company. They insure that their workers are content. They treat each other like family. Very understanding bosses/supervisors.
Worst catering company I've worked for
Janitorial Staff (Former Employee) –  Sun prairie lodge BC8 December 2016
Was made to work 14 hours yet only paid for 10. The first aid injury rate was the highest out of all the company's working at Sunprairie lodge. Was expected to do twice the work cause so many co-workers quit. You get written up over the smallest infraction.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Twice the work for half the pay
very bad management and company untrustworthy
camp office worker (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB21 November 2016
This company took over a job when my company lost its contract. They pretended to be interested in hiring our staff. some stayed for far less money than they were making were asked to stay longer than they should have and did and then when they did take their days off they were not contacted to go back. when they called they were told no schedule was made yet and the the next excuse had to do with a new manager. Do not take work from this company if you want to continue to be working as they are untrust worthy
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Tree Planting at Outland
Tree Planter (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON16 August 2016
It's tree planting. So it's 10 hour days by yourself in a hellish looking clear cut surrounded by bugs, mud, and your own slipping sanity.

But Outland does a good job at it. Everything is organized. The people are great. The money is great. The food is especially great, though that changes camp by camp.
Pros
Good money, good people
Cons
Extremely hard work. Must be self motivated.
A fun procductive place to work with room for advancements
Head Camp attendant (Current Employee) –  Northern Alberta8 June 2016
Outland is a great company to work for with opportunities to advance. A typical day starts with a tailgate in the morning and a friendly chat with co-workers. Then onto a regular routine of making beds etc. cleaning the camp for the guests return in the evening. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to the guest you have come to know well. It is always exciting to meet new guests.

I have learned the operations of the camp from my management team. This knowledge has helped me appreciate and understand the financial and personal responsibilities of upper management and to work better to achieve a common goal.
Pros
You get to met great people and form some great friendships
Cons
Long hard hours
Bad company
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Northern BC21 May 2016
Learned my lesson! !! They are cheap and don't give a dam about you. Lowered our wages with no notice. Lost $300 per check. Sometimes you would work 12 or 13 hour days ...they would only pay you for 10.
Pros
Co workers were fun
Cons
Wages, treatment by management
Great place to work. Professional, classy and flexible.
General Help Dining Room (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC13 May 2016
The hardest part of this job is getting up early, the most enjoyable is finishing in the afternoon! Great summer job, highly recommend.
Pros
Great food at outland camps
Cons
challenging work