Otter Co-op

Otter Co-op Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
It was a good place to work if you are looking for a good and steady job, the people there were really nice to work with, the managers were rude though. They take advantage of teenagers
Work life balance can be tough depending on your role, Job security is at a all time low, It has turned into a Yes Sir company or your gone. They are a very community oriented company, giving back to the community
management very inconsistent. No chance for advancement. promise promotions but don't deliver. would not recommend working here if you are looking for a career advancement. very high turn over. they like to stretch a penny to see how far they can push it
Pros
good benifits
Cons
Management, no advancement
I loved working for Otter Co-op at the beginning. One thing I really enjoyed is the fact that the care about their employees first. Although they care about employees and safety, my manager didn’t hold up to what she said she would do for me before she hired me. I had a couple stipulations before taking the job, and unfortunately i was promised them and didn’t always get them. She defiantly made it obvious that she didn’t like me, and for someone with bad depression and anxiety when i had to walk in and see her it made it way worse for me. Be prepared to be interrogated by her. I don’t recall many times she was nice. I never went to HR on her, and I should have but I didn’t want more drama. I would not recommend this job because of poor management, and because they don’t hold to their promise. Their motto is “You’re at home here,” and never once did I feel at home wether I was working or a customer. Out of 10, this job gets a solid 2 at most.
Pros
Safety comes first, didn’t start at min. wage
Cons
poor management, didn’t get what was promised
Otter co-op is a great company to work for as they don't refer to people as customers, they refer to them as guests. everyone is welcoming as well as they make sure that all guests feel welcome every time they step foot into any location.
My experience at Co-op was for the main part pretty good, the Management was very helpful and Co-Workers are very easy to get along with, it can be slow but you can also have some very busy days. The pay was sort of frustrating for lots of employees as with minimum wage going up not everyone’s raises would carry over, so newer people would be making the same as an experienced employee of the same job level. Overall this is a fun and easy place to work.
Pros
15% off of hardware and clothing items
Cons
Hard to advance in your career
Overall, I found Otter Co-op to be a great company to work for. I had an amazing run at the Co-op for the time I was there. The only issue I had was with new management that came in that we did not see eye to eye.
This company is simply fantastic to work for. Working here has taught me so much about myself and has helped improve my customer service skills. There is not a single thing I don't like about this company.
Pros
Shift flexibility
Cons
Sales are slow during night shifts and winter season
The job was able to help me learn as much as I could until I had to move, But before I moved I was able to leave with a good imprecation from them, thank you.
Very good place to work while in school as the shifts are very flexible and the manager is very good. It is a minimum wage job so its good for high school students.
Pros
Paid for breaks
Cons
Late Nights
The job itself is enjoyable and suitable for students who require flexibility with their hours. The supervisors can be a little overbearing at times but other than that it's a great job if you like working with the public.
I learned that although you work hard and do your job, someone is going to bring you down. It was very much a bully atmosphere, people talking behind your back instead of trying to support you. Management did nothing to support you! I felt anxious just going into work most days. "Teamwork" is not in their vocabulary. Office is poorly run and there is no support for their team members. It is such a negative atmosphere! The long term employees are the worst and should be replaced to make it better for their members. If it wasn't for a few key people in other areas of the store, I would have left long before. Good incentives, but wage not great for the stress that you endure. Horrible experience! Glad to be out!
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Horrible long time employees and no support from management. Bully Atmosphere!
It's a great place to work at and a very friendly work atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting customers and getting to sample some of the products that we sell in the store.
Pros
We get gift cards at Christmas time and Staff appreciation lunches
Cons
It can be stressful at times when it is busy.
Enjoyable work atmosphere and good learning experience provided to service all customers. Friendly and personable fellow workers and management. Would appreciate opportunity to provide service to our members in this area.
Pros
Able to expand my work skills.
Cons
weather conditions at gas bar can at times be cold.
Clean environment, and great staff that are there to help when needed... Learn to handle cash, deal with costumer of every age, Management was great, learned a lot from them.. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the pumps when it was cold out side. the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and having them as returner customer.
Pros
Clean environment and pretty good pay
Renovations have made this a very poor company to work for Upper management doesn't care for the staff any more and departments are getting overworked
Pros
Raise schedule is alright
Cons
Management doesn't care about staff, certain departments get overworked and are under staffed (deli and Cafeteria especially), low wage caps especially at the gas bars
Costomer service sucks, duringing the holiday seasons, shopping cart tent always empty, never have cash register open, and you will see at least 1 or more manager/supervisor walking around chating and not doing anything to help...much more.
Grocery price is up there.

Treat this as the temporary job/stepping stone, you can give the company 110% and work as hard as humanely possible, but unless you are good friend with the boss, there is no chance moving up, lots of back stabbing, have to be careful what you say and who you talk to. Management do listen to you, but they do not care and will not do anything for you unless it's benefit to them. Be prepared to work on the holidays and nights, with very poor training period.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management really suck bad
There is more and more expected with no extra pay to justify extra duties. Once positions are left, they are filled at a lower salary/hourly rate. There is room for advancement. Your ideas and opinions are not welcomed. The communication by upper management occurs at a minimum.
Pros
annual bonus, events hosted for family
Cons
poor direction and communication
very flexible schedule when i was finishing high school! loved the company and how friendly everyone was the schedule fit in perfect with my school. i loved how you got to meet the higher up people you only see on pictures in the store everyone was very friendly.
Pros
membership
a decent company, with good supervisors. The management team at Otter coop is very top heavy. The company could save alot of money on people who contribute nothing to the production of sales.
Pros
Good supervisors, and great environment
Cons
Always have to accommodate work times that are very unpredictable. Hours are very inconsistant
there have been tons of new things iv learnt over the year and a half of working here such as codes, products, deliverers and so on.my favorite part about working here are all the people i surround myself with. and there arnt many things that are difficult for me know but at the beginning it took me a while to pick it up and remember all the different codes.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
not enough hours