Otter Co-op Employee Reviews

bad
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC9 August 2018
Staff and customers are great, management is top heavy, overpaid, and not helpful, encouraging or fair. 5 years was enough being
underpaid, overworked and unappreciated. Moved on to a better company with higher pay.
Cons
Unappreciated
Customer service oriented with flexible hours
Co-Op is (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC26 May 2018
The job itself is enjoyable and suitable for students who require flexibility with their hours. The supervisors can be a little overbearing at times but other than that it's a great job if you like working with the public.
Good Incentives - Bad Otherwise
Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC23 May 2018
I learned that although you work hard and do your job, someone is going to bring you down. It was very much a bully atmosphere, people talking behind your back instead of trying to support you. Management did nothing to support you! I felt anxious just going into work most days. "Teamwork" is not in their vocabulary. Office is poorly run and there is no support for their team members. It is such a negative atmosphere! The long term employees are the worst and should be replaced to make it better for their members. If it wasn't for a few key people in other areas of the store, I would have left long before. Good incentives, but wage not great for the stress that you endure. Horrible experience! Glad to be out!
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Horrible long time employees and no support from management. Bully Atmosphere!
I enjoy working with the kind and helpful staff members of Ottercoop
Part-time Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC3 April 2018
It's a great place to work at and a very friendly work atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job is greeting customers and getting to sample some of the products that we sell in the store.
Pros
We get gift cards at Christmas time and Staff appreciation lunches
Cons
It can be stressful at times when it is busy.
Enjoyable work atmosphere. Good staff and management
Part-time Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC28 March 2018
Enjoyable work atmosphere and good learning experience provided to service all customers. Friendly and personable fellow workers and management. Would appreciate opportunity to provide service to our members in this area.
Pros
Able to expand my work skills.
Cons
weather conditions at gas bar can at times be cold.
Not what it used to be, poor moral and lack of respect
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC27 January 2018
Renovations have made this a very poor company to work for Upper management doesn't care for the staff any more and departments are getting overworked
Pros
Raise schedule is alright
Cons
Management doesn't care about staff, certain departments get overworked and are under staffed (deli and Cafeteria especially), low wage caps especially at the gas bars
Immature management
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC2 November 2017
Costomer service sucks, duringing the holiday seasons, shopping cart tent always empty, never have cash register open, and you will see at least 1 or more manager/supervisor walking around chating and not doing anything to help...much more.
Grocery price is up there.
Treat this as the temporary job/stepping stone, you can give the company 110% and work as hard as humanely possible, but unless you are good friend with the boss, there is no chance moving up, lots of back stabbing, have to be careful what you say and who you talk to. Management do listen to you, but they do not care and will not do anything for you unless it's benefit to them. Be prepared to work on the holidays and nights, with very poor training period.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management really suck bad
fast paced team environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC19 July 2017
There is more and more expected with no extra pay to justify extra duties. Once positions are left, they are filled at a lower salary/hourly rate. There is room for advancement. Your ideas and opinions are not welcomed. The communication by upper management occurs at a minimum.
Pros
annual bonus, events hosted for family
Cons
poor direction and communication
Great staff
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 February 2017
very flexible schedule when i was finishing high school! loved the company and how friendly everyone was the schedule fit in perfect with my school. i loved how you got to meet the higher up people you only see on pictures in the store everyone was very friendly.
Pros
membership
overall rating
Hardware Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC16 January 2017
a decent company, with good supervisors. The management team at Otter coop is very top heavy. The company could save alot of money on people who contribute nothing to the production of sales.
Pros
Good supervisors, and great environment
Cons
Always have to accommodate work times that are very unpredictable. Hours are very inconsistant

Want to know more about Otter Co-op?

Ask a question
love seeing all the regular costumers come in daily
cashier (Current Employee) –  Canada11 January 2017
there have been tons of new things iv learnt over the year and a half of working here such as codes, products, deliverers and so on.my favorite part about working here are all the people i surround myself with. and there arnt many things that are difficult for me know but at the beginning it took me a while to pick it up and remember all the different codes.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
not enough hours
Good but only on the outside.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC8 November 2016
Working here was alright, the staff was nice and friendly but the management sucks. It's all about if they can push you around with their Co-op politics. Good hours and good staff but nothing more.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Bad management
Great workplace that will leave you educated.
Data entry clerk & Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC30 August 2016
Moving up to a full-time position at Otter Co-op gas bars is very possible as you can apply for Supervisor with full training. This is also a perfect part-time occupation for students while attending University or College and they always welcomed back. This company is very good to work for and are very rarely understaffed. You work in a Team environment.
Pros
Community days. Jobs in other provinces. Canadian member owned. Staff also share in Equity.
Cons
Good work enviroment, fun but stressful
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC13 June 2016
Good co-workers, generally an good place to work overall. Management needs some work.Some days you will have lots of customers so the time will pass very quickly. Other days you have to keep yourself busy because of little flow of customers.
Managment needs some work
GROCERY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC22 December 2015
Favouritism, too much favouritism. Overall is was good place to work, but unless you were friends with Management, you were second best.
Pros
Good people
Cons
not enough focus on department as a team
Was a great place to work until I tried to move up.
Cashier mostly (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove/Abbotsford24 September 2015
If you're looking for a part-time job while going to school or just to keep busy, this is a great place to work. People are really kind and polite for the most part and pay is above average in my opinion. Safety is a big priority and there is always opportunity to learn new things, if you are a hard worker. The hardest part can be dealing with customers who don't understand store policy and think they are god and think that they are always right.. but I guess you would see this in a lot of customer service jobs.

When I first started it was great but after I graduated it started to go down hill. I didn't know what I wanted to do as a career after I graduated so I decided I might as well try to move into a higher position in the company. This at first was a good experience, people were open to teaching me new things and always kind. When I finally got the position I had been working towards things changed. My manager knew I could do his job so they just wouldn't show up for work and of course I felt like I needed to do it because well.. who else was going to? Anyways, I ended up quitting because management was awful. My managers bosses wouldn't do anything when I looked to them for help so I left and glad I did.
Pros
S]taff are great for the most part; pay is better than average
Cons
Almost all of management is on a power trip or has a god complex, except for the odd few; gossip and back stabbing can be a problem
I worked at the Chilliwack location, the management was aweful
cashier (Former Employee) –  chilliwack9 August 2015
it was one of the worse places I have worked at,Co workers were petty and struggled to do the simplest duties. Management constantly threaten your job on a daily basis,most of the staff had a bad attitude and always blamed each other for minor issues, so ridiculous. The hardest part of the job was working there for a few months.nothing was enjoyable
Pros
Cons
10 hour shifts no over time
Great Company to work for.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC22 July 2014
My day consisted of working out stock and taking care of my departments. Placing orders and dealing with sales reps. Helping the public with any issues or concerns. It was a wonderful company to work for. My co workers were amazing fun and easy to get along with.
enjoy interacting with the customers and have built great friendships over ther years.
Delicatessen Clerk (Current Employee) –  aldergrove b.c.6 July 2013
he positive things are...great pay..good benifits..good atmosphere.and. fair discounts. the negative things are..poor management and accountabilty,short staffed,and careless food control.
Pros
staff B.B.Q..laundry allowance, gift card at christmas
Cons
broken equiptment, unsafe conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otter Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.