Ottawa Humane Society Employee Review

View all Ottawa Humane Society reviews

Excellent pay with a horrible management team
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 December 2018
I love working with the animals and I have such awesome co workers, but unfortunately the OHS has a horrible team of managers (with the exception of 1).

Very gossipy work environment. I cannot confidently say I even trust my manager when it comes to anything personal.

The management team gives massive amounts of work with really unrealistic due dates. The workload is insane so it is hard to focus on any additional projects.

The pay is really good considering what vet clinics / pet stores pay their employees. Shifts are long and you are rarely going to leave on time during high peek season (April-early November). Over time is not always approved to you will be "volunteering" hours of your time for the sake of the animals.

Compassion fatigue is very much a real thing. If you work here, make sure to actually use the vacation time. Managers can be a bit tough on vacation if you aren't booking off time that is not "convenient" for them.
Pros
Working with animals, good pay
Cons
Management team, stressful

Other Ottawa Humane Society Employee Reviews

Bureucracy... bullying... and puppies
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2019
Managers and supervisors aren't leaders here and there's a manager for every single little thing.. they only care about making money and looking good and being bossy. Customers to them are just numbers on paper and managers and some supervisors use intimidation and fear to keep workers quiet and treat them like enemies. Management blames staff for the weekly turnover but humiliates staff in front of customers.. union unhelpful. Pays good and fur cuddles are nice.. Keep your head down you'll be okay...if not you'll be depressed and burn out very quick.
Pros
Animals, nice team, pays good
Cons
Managers and supervisors are bullies and there's weekly turnover of staff
Your job is what you make of it!
Animal care (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS.
Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show.
Great place.
Pros
Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff
Cons
Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8