Ottawa Humane Society Employee Review

View all Ottawa Humane Society reviews

Your job is what you make of it!
Animal care (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS.
Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show.
Great place.
Pros
Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff
Cons
Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals

Other Ottawa Humane Society Employee Reviews

Bureucracy... bullying... and puppies
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2019
Managers and supervisors aren't leaders here and there's a manager for every single little thing.. they only care about making money and looking good and being bossy. Customers to them are just numbers on paper and managers and some supervisors use intimidation and fear to keep workers quiet and treat them like enemies. Management blames staff for the weekly turnover but humiliates staff in front of customers.. union unhelpful. Pays good and fur cuddles are nice.. Keep your head down you'll be okay...if not you'll be depressed and burn out very quick.
Pros
Animals, nice team, pays good
Cons
Managers and supervisors are bullies and there's weekly turnover of staff
Horrible managers! Very Toxic Work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2019
Working with the animals is fantastic and very rewarding. Also my coworkers were amazing! The only issue with working here is the management. They are very rude to their employees and will belittle you any chance they get. This results in a very stressful and toxic work environment. Whenever an issue is brought to their attention, it is played down and pushed under the rug. They will do a staff survey to see where they can improve, but when they get negative results they blame it on part-time staff who are jealous of full-time workers. I would strongly advise people against working here if you are looking for a fun and stress free job.
Pros
The animals, coworkers
Cons
The managers, no room to move up in the organization, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8