Ottawa Humane Society Employee Review

View all Ottawa Humane Society reviews

Field placement for my VT program and Fostering their orphan kittens
VT Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario14 June 2014
My days with the OHS: do the rounds with the head VT and Veterinarian.

Learn about another type of shelter medicine and participated in varies different surgery: Othro, Cardio., Amputations of limbs, and spay/neuter surgeries. Which I don't see very often at my work at the other shelters.

Some parts of the management was well organized and worked as a team (Administration). But in some of the other sections their was a lot of confusion.

All the staff were very kind to me and I really enjoyed working with them during my field placement.

The hardest part of my job is when losing a patient or seeing animals that were so badly abused in all different ways. It was also hard to say good bye to everybody I worked with when my field placement ended.

The most enjoyable part of my field placement was learning so very much in surgeries that I don't see so often and learning from all the Vets and all the medical information on their surgical specialty. That alone has no price for all all that experience and knowledge that I will bring with me in my profession.
Pros
Beautiful shelter and great staff to work with.
Cons
At times their was not good organization

Other Ottawa Humane Society Employee Reviews

Your job is what you make of it!
Animal care (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS.
Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show.
Great place.
Pros
Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff
Cons
Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals
Horrible managers! Very Toxic Work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2019
Working with the animals is fantastic and very rewarding. Also my coworkers were amazing! The only issue with working here is the management. They are very rude to their employees and will belittle you any chance they get. This results in a very stressful and toxic work environment. Whenever an issue is brought to their attention, it is played down and pushed under the rug. They will do a staff survey to see where they can improve, but when they get negative results they blame it on part-time staff who are jealous of full-time workers. I would strongly advise people against working here if you are looking for a fun and stress free job.
Pros
The animals, coworkers
Cons
The managers, no room to move up in the organization, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9