Ottawa Humane Society Employee Review

View all Ottawa Humane Society reviews

Probably one of the most toxic places I have ever worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  245 West Hunt Club Road24 July 2016
Management doesn't care about employees, bends the union guidelines when its in their favor but ignores them when its not. Pay is awful. Management gets paid 4 million who are about 20 people, while the whole shelter gets paid 2 million... Go figure! Might also want to look at your surveys where almost everyone in the shelter states that management is the issue there. Also would like to note that disregarding part time complaints and assuming that their issues are just, "they are mad because they aren't full-time". Quitting was so clear after that statement.
Pros
Play with animals
Cons
Management.

Other Ottawa Humane Society Employee Reviews

Bureucracy... bullying... and puppies
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2019
Managers and supervisors aren't leaders here and there's a manager for every single little thing.. they only care about making money and looking good and being bossy. Customers to them are just numbers on paper and managers and some supervisors use intimidation and fear to keep workers quiet and treat them like enemies. Management blames staff for the weekly turnover but humiliates staff in front of customers.. union unhelpful. Pays good and fur cuddles are nice.. Keep your head down you'll be okay...if not you'll be depressed and burn out very quick.
Pros
Animals, nice team, pays good
Cons
Managers and supervisors are bullies and there's weekly turnover of staff
Your job is what you make of it!
Animal care (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 April 2019
I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS.
Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show.
Great place.
Pros
Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff
Cons
Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8