Ottawa Humane Society

Clear
3.1Pay & benefits

staffmanagementpeoplegreatworkcoworkershardtime

Volunteered; Not on Salary

I'm afraid that I only volunteered for this company for a short time. But while I was there, my co-volunteers and the environment were both positive and supportive.

hard work, lots to do, rewarding

Depending on your department, there is understaffing issues, which means lots of long hours, lots of overtime. Management can be hard, and expect much. This is not a place for a lazy employee. The coworkers can be fun, and nice. Lots to learn and lots of room to grow. There is great pay and benefits. its faced paced, stressful, hard and rewarding. Watch out for compassion burnout.

Pros

free lunches, great pay, benefits, pension

Cons

Overtime, Long hours, Hard work, staffing shortages

Insights into Ottawa Humane Society

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

Your job is what you make of it!

I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS. Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show. Great place.

Pros

Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff

Cons

Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals

Pleasure to work at with always something new

Training at the beginning is fair and you are expected to work independently afterwards for majority of your shift but staff is around to assist you if required as well as other co workers on your shift. Expectation consist of not only walking the dogs but provided and implementing obedience training to the dogs, as well as enjoy some cuddle time! :)

Compassionate environment with good work/life balance

A great organization. Able to help animals overcome illness/injury and find new homes. Amazing workplace culture. I enjoy being part of the bigger picture and utilizing my skills/education on a daily basis.

Amazing Co workers

I have never been in a work place where everyone is so nice and make you feel like a family. Its the best feeling when you are going into work everyday that you will see all these smiling faces.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement