Ottawa Humane Society

Ottawa Humane Society Pay & benefits reviews

Canada26 reviews

Clear
3.1Pay & benefits

Excellent pay with a horrible management team

I love working with the animals and I have such awesome co workers, but unfortunately the OHS has a horrible team of managers (with the exception of 1). Very gossipy work environment. I cannot confidently say I even trust my manager when it comes to anything personal. The management team gives massive amounts of work with really unrealistic due dates. The workload is insane so it is hard to focus on any additional projects. The pay is really good considering what vet clinics / pet stores pay their employees. Shifts are long and you are rarely going to leave on time during high peek season (April-early November). Over time is not always approved to you will be "volunteering" hours of your time for the sake of the animals. Compassion fatigue is very much a real thing. If you work here, make sure to actually use the vacation time. Managers can be a bit tough on vacation if you aren't booking off time that is not "convenient" for them.

Pros

Working with animals, good pay

Cons

Management team, stressful

hard work, lots to do, rewarding

Depending on your department, there is understaffing issues, which means lots of long hours, lots of overtime. Management can be hard, and expect much. This is not a place for a lazy employee. The coworkers can be fun, and nice. Lots to learn and lots of room to grow. There is great pay and benefits. its faced paced, stressful, hard and rewarding. Watch out for compassion burnout.

Pros

free lunches, great pay, benefits, pension

Cons

Overtime, Long hours, Hard work, staffing shortages

Insights into Ottawa Humane Society

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Happy there

Had lots of boring jobs and bad bosses. This place is great. Can be stresful and very busy lots of animals to take care of. Coworkers are fun and althoug there’s always complaining many girls are friends and have fun. Bosses can be demanding and have high hopes for more more more work just do the best you can Pay great compared to same job somewhere else. and somtimes gets free food or gift cards. H-R is easy to approach with concerns. For me it’s worth the stress. Every job is stressful. This company is good and I like it. Good for good employees but also bad employees can get away with anything so your stuck working with LAZY ppl sometimes and they call in sick regularly wich is annoying - there should be rules about that and they should respect the ones that don’t call in sick. Often come in for my job and have to do another spot too because that person is absent.

Pros

Snacks, breaks, gift cards, social people

Cons

Short staffed. Emotional. Hard work

You will leave because of management

Over a decade of work there. Multiple different areas. In the end it dawned on me it was like we were in an abusive relationship with management. They dangle high wages and potential full time jobs over your head. They constantly remind you they pay the best and offer benefits. "No one else can offer you this kind of security". When you are broken and crying they tell you it will get better, changes are coming, they will do better but nothing ever changes, over ten years they did not change. Micro managing is their crutch. You can't go blow your nose without signing out. They will take your ideas and use them as your own and put you under a bus without a second glance. You will advance only if you can be someone's favourite, and will be pushed out if you upset one. The growth potential isn't fair as it is based on how you can talk in an interview and not years, experience or work ethic. They do not reward hard workers. They want you to quit within 2 years, high turn around is good for them= they don't have to payout raises, benefits or retirement. Not to mention they are so top heavy it feels like you have a manager for every 5 employees. The experience you get with animal handling and treatments is invaluable but you will not want to make this your home. After my 10 years+ there I am done in this industry and I hold the treatment by management as a huge reason why.

Pros

Pay, ground level coworkers

Cons

Absolutely terrible management but the animals are nice

Everybody thinks that working at the Humane Society is basically just receiving puppy/kitten kisses and cuddles. Though we do get to do that (pretty often I must say) there are lots, tons actually, of other aspects to working here. I’m going to breakdown me review into different topics. It’s going to be: Managers/supervisors, staffing, pay, and the overall environment. I’m going to apologize in advance because this is going to be pretty lengthy. Let’s Begin! Staffing: The OHS can be a hectic place that is probably busier on certain days than a New York deli. There has been days where the line-ups are equivalent to a ride at Disney. Unfortunately this is due to the OHS creating management positions that really aren’t necessary and taking away the budget for staffing the employees that actually help the animals. If you don’t mind being overwhelmed some days then this is a good place for you! Hey on the positive note, you’ll always have something to do! Another thing to add to this is if you’re looking for a full-time job, seriously go look somewhere else. Full-time is so rare and hard to get. You’ll most likely be getting 2 or 3 shifts a week. Managers/Supervisors: To me, the biggest Con of working here is the management. While some Managers are nice and greet you with a friendly (most times fake, while trying to remember what my name is) hello, other are just simply cold. They offer no support to their staff and will just be condescending from day one. My particular manager would rarely come out to help the team if we were overwhelmed and would just stay in their office -

Pros

The animals, the pay isn`t bad, coworkers are great

Cons

The managers, no room for growth, stressful

Love the job. Hate the way it's managed.

I love my job at the Ottawa Humane Society and my co-workers, they are very compassionate people. The management however is very unprofessional and does not appreciate the dedicated staff that work there. There are a handful of full-time positions and even less part-time positions. Most staff are on an occasional status scrambling for shifts with no benefits and no hope of advancement. You are very much made to feel replaceable. They make it sound like it's one big happy family but it's very dysfunctional. It takes a strong person to witness abuse of animals on a daily basis but it takes a stronger person to tolerate management's abuse.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Management is unprofessional

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ottawa Humane Society?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement