Ottawa Humane Society

Ottawa Humane Society Job security & advancement reviews

Canada27 reviews

Clear
2.6Job security & advancement

Love the job. Hate the way it's managed.

I love my job at the Ottawa Humane Society and my co-workers, they are very compassionate people. The management however is very unprofessional and does not appreciate the dedicated staff that work there. There are a handful of full-time positions and even less part-time positions. Most staff are on an occasional status scrambling for shifts with no benefits and no hope of advancement. You are very much made to feel replaceable. They make it sound like it's one big happy family but it's very dysfunctional. It takes a strong person to witness abuse of animals on a daily basis but it takes a stronger person to tolerate management's abuse.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Management is unprofessional

Great place to work for a great cause

The Ottawa Humane Society is a great place to work where you feel like you are making a difference every day. There is truly never a boring moment, and you get to work together with people who are passionate and driven towards a common goal. For full-time employees, the OHS offers a competitive benefits package and a healthy amount of paid time off. There's also more to working at the OHS than caring for animals. You can also work to advocate for animal welfare, help pet owners in the community, and help make essential services available to those who need them most. It can be difficult working with animals who have been through terrible circumstances, but it's all worth it knowing you can help them get the care and shelter they need.

Pros

Great cause, community work, opportunities for professional development and career advancement

Cons

Can be emotionally taxing at times

Insights into Ottawa Humane Society

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

You will leave because of management

Over a decade of work there. Multiple different areas. In the end it dawned on me it was like we were in an abusive relationship with management. They dangle high wages and potential full time jobs over your head. They constantly remind you they pay the best and offer benefits. "No one else can offer you this kind of security". When you are broken and crying they tell you it will get better, changes are coming, they will do better but nothing ever changes, over ten years they did not change. Micro managing is their crutch. You can't go blow your nose without signing out. They will take your ideas and use them as your own and put you under a bus without a second glance. You will advance only if you can be someone's favourite, and will be pushed out if you upset one. The growth potential isn't fair as it is based on how you can talk in an interview and not years, experience or work ethic. They do not reward hard workers. They want you to quit within 2 years, high turn around is good for them= they don't have to payout raises, benefits or retirement. Not to mention they are so top heavy it feels like you have a manager for every 5 employees. The experience you get with animal handling and treatments is invaluable but you will not want to make this your home. After my 10 years+ there I am done in this industry and I hold the treatment by management as a huge reason why.

Pros

Pay, ground level coworkers

Cons

Your job is what you make of it!

I’ve been working there for a decade. I love it. Staff is great, including management. I’ve never had a problem going to my boss for help and for any issues. I think people that complain about management are the ones who are too intimidated to actually speak to them. We are all people and we have the same goal at OHS. Whether you want to work there as a career or “just a job”, you get what you put in. The hard workers who are humble and compassionate really show. Great place.

Pros

Flexible shifts, cross training intedepartments, friendly and caring staff

Cons

Can be long hours, seasonally stressful/ high volume of animals

Gained extraordinary experience that I continue to use nearly 20 years later. Great staff and coworkers and overall a wonderful organisation, would totally recommend you apply!

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ottawa Humane Society?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement