Ottawa Humane Society

Customer Service Representative11 reviews
Canada11 reviews

Clear
3.1Pay & benefits

Absolutely terrible management but the animals are nice

Everybody thinks that working at the Humane Society is basically just receiving puppy/kitten kisses and cuddles. Though we do get to do that (pretty often I must say) there are lots, tons actually, of other aspects to working here. I’m going to breakdown me review into different topics. It’s going to be: Managers/supervisors, staffing, pay, and the overall environment. I’m going to apologize in advance because this is going to be pretty lengthy. Let’s Begin! Staffing: The OHS can be a hectic place that is probably busier on certain days than a New York deli. There has been days where the line-ups are equivalent to a ride at Disney. Unfortunately this is due to the OHS creating management positions that really aren’t necessary and taking away the budget for staffing the employees that actually help the animals. If you don’t mind being overwhelmed some days then this is a good place for you! Hey on the positive note, you’ll always have something to do! Another thing to add to this is if you’re looking for a full-time job, seriously go look somewhere else. Full-time is so rare and hard to get. You’ll most likely be getting 2 or 3 shifts a week. Managers/Supervisors: To me, the biggest Con of working here is the management. While some Managers are nice and greet you with a friendly (most times fake, while trying to remember what my name is) hello, other are just simply cold. They offer no support to their staff and will just be condescending from day one. My particular manager would rarely come out to help the team if we were overwhelmed and would just stay in their office -

Pros

The animals, the pay isn`t bad, coworkers are great

Cons

The managers, no room for growth, stressful

hard work, lots to do, rewarding

Depending on your department, there is understaffing issues, which means lots of long hours, lots of overtime. Management can be hard, and expect much. This is not a place for a lazy employee. The coworkers can be fun, and nice. Lots to learn and lots of room to grow. There is great pay and benefits. its faced paced, stressful, hard and rewarding. Watch out for compassion burnout.

Pros

free lunches, great pay, benefits, pension

Cons

Overtime, Long hours, Hard work, staffing shortages

You will leave because of management

Over a decade of work there. Multiple different areas. In the end it dawned on me it was like we were in an abusive relationship with management. They dangle high wages and potential full time jobs over your head. They constantly remind you they pay the best and offer benefits. "No one else can offer you this kind of security". When you are broken and crying they tell you it will get better, changes are coming, they will do better but nothing ever changes, over ten years they did not change. Micro managing is their crutch. You can't go blow your nose without signing out. They will take your ideas and use them as your own and put you under a bus without a second glance. You will advance only if you can be someone's favourite, and will be pushed out if you upset one. The growth potential isn't fair as it is based on how you can talk in an interview and not years, experience or work ethic. They do not reward hard workers. They want you to quit within 2 years, high turn around is good for them= they don't have to payout raises, benefits or retirement. Not to mention they are so top heavy it feels like you have a manager for every 5 employees. The experience you get with animal handling and treatments is invaluable but you will not want to make this your home. After my 10 years+ there I am done in this industry and I hold the treatment by management as a huge reason why.

Pros

Pay, ground level coworkers

Cons

Love the job. Hate the way it's managed.

I love my job at the Ottawa Humane Society and my co-workers, they are very compassionate people. The management however is very unprofessional and does not appreciate the dedicated staff that work there. There are a handful of full-time positions and even less part-time positions. Most staff are on an occasional status scrambling for shifts with no benefits and no hope of advancement. You are very much made to feel replaceable. They make it sound like it's one big happy family but it's very dysfunctional. It takes a strong person to witness abuse of animals on a daily basis but it takes a stronger person to tolerate management's abuse.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Management is unprofessional