Ottawa Catholic School Board

Canada67 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

Team Work

I love working with the staff and supervisors. A excellent work environment. Staff were very considering and knowledgeable towards us Very helpful.. Students were also very helpful towards their peers.

Pros

Flexibility as Casual

Cons

No benefits as casual

Overall I am very satisfied with my job

I would recommend the Ottawa Catholic school board to any body seeking employment. Compared to most companies, the pay and benefits at the Ottawa Catholic school board is very decent . Overall I am very happy with my job.

Ok

Not the best place to work. Is very unorganized and lacks clear communication. It would be better if management had experience and knowledge of their own programs. Often changes occur with no notice and lacking insight.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours, no clear policies

Good place

I enjoy this job, the children are wonderful and learning more about each of them has been a great experience. The most difficult part is the hours. As a supply attendant I only receive minimal hours right now.

Fun relaxed and rewarding

Overall just a relaxing job. Get your work done and you're good. Pays well but no paid days off. I have worked at many schools and everyone I worked with was willing to help and super nice.

good place to work. good opportunities to grow

diversity of culture. a good place to work at. the OCSB is a multicultural workplace. Good centers. Good benefits. friendly staff. The parents are nice.

Education/curriculum based workplace

OCSB is a workplace that primarily focuses on curriculum for education of its students. OCSB would benefit from focusing on re-evaluating the needs of school systems in today's society. As an EA in the OCSB the job can be rewarding when encountering wonderful co-staff and students. Additionally it is rewarding when making a difference in a students' experience and progress in school and with their overall behaviours. However, the job runs the increased risk of burn out as there is minimal EA support in schools; therefore, leading the current employed support staff with many high-needs students to support (i.e. 1:5 staff to student ratio minimum.). Lastly, the salary does not reflect the hard work and dedication of Educational Assistants in the school. This adds to the increased risk of EA burn out due to the fact that EA staff can afford to take few days off to re-charge in order to provide the best support.

Ok

They had great benefits, salary was ok but I left because in my area it seemed that we were not respected. Principals and management seemed not to care.

As a casual staff member, you do not get benefits. During the busy times of the school year, you can work up to 35 hours. You can create your own schedule. Travelling to different locations everyday can be hard at times.

Enjoyed it thoroughly and would highly recommend it.

Great place to work: inclusive and collaborative staff; great union for compensations and pay; wonderful environment that puts students well-being on equal footing to their education.

Pros

summers off

Cons

lunchtime duties

As expected

Working in Kinder/School age means crazy split shifts. If possible, to get in with toddlers or preschoolers for a better working day. Salary is low for what an ECE does. Work culture depends on the centre you're in.

Pros

work with kids

Cons

split shifts

Great if you have a permanent position

It takes a long time to advance. There are no benefits for those of us in a contract or on call position. Hard to start a family without that security .

Great

Great atmosphere positive people cant complain would recommend to anyone who likes children. Not that much room to move up or have benefits as a supply. Its all about who you know.

Summer job

Worked full time over the summer. returned a year later. The hours were long however very accommodating. Loved the environment. Very easy going. Perfect Summer job.

Pros

free lunches sometimes.

Cons

you get dirty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Catholic School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement