Ottawa Catholic School Board

Insights into Ottawa Catholic School Board

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

Team oriented place to work and can be fun.

I have worked for the ocsb for almost 22 years. They are a very family oriented company and when it comes to taking time off for your children they are very understanding. They treat there employees well and take your work experience into consideration. The only negative thing I would say is that depending on where you work if you are an educational assistant sometimes you are made to feel like the help instead of an equal. You have to have a strong work ethic and be willing to fight do what you believe in and advocate for yourself and the children .

Pros

Colleges are all very friendly

Cons

Some of there pd activities are unrelated to to your position and are very repetative.

Productive and fun work place

Nice to work with people who appreciate u and the type of job u do. Very friendly administration people. Great co-worker who can help you with your work.

Pros

friendly co-workers

Cons

messy student

Extended Day Programme

The days are short and easy, except for PD days when you work a full day. Some Extended Day Programmes are open during Christmas break too. They don't pay enough for a single person to take a summer off. You can only afford to if you have a husband.If you work at a school with only two people (yourself and the other person) hopefully you like each other because you'll be there till the school year ends.

Pros

Summers off

Cons

Split shifts

Not the best place to work

Not considerate of mental health issues, quite disappointed. Got fired when there was clearly something wrong on my end. In and out of hospitals and there was no support for my mental well being.

Overall I am very satisfied with my job

I would recommend the Ottawa Catholic school board to any body seeking employment. Compared to most companies, the pay and benefits at the Ottawa Catholic school board is very decent . Overall I am very happy with my job.

Ok

Not the best place to work. Is very unorganized and lacks clear communication. It would be better if management had experience and knowledge of their own programs. Often changes occur with no notice and lacking insight.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours, no clear policies

the school I work for is a fan workplace envirometal

working with student at school is a good experience and beneficial for me, Its help me to involved with students at the sometime learning together while I am iterating with the students at school.

love working with children

love the environment...very fun to work with kids and staff.. i enjoy planning activities and cleaning seen children makes me smile and love life more..im a very patient individual that loves new experiences..

Educational Assistant

I've only just had my first contract with the OCSB but I LOVED it. The Kinder teachers very clearly care about the kiddos and take their job very seriously. As an EA I felt supported, appreciated and for the first time in my life I felt my skills and opinions respected. I'd have to say that I feel the bar is a little low in regards to education and skills required to be an EA however as the school board cannot afford an adequate amount of EAs as it is I understand why- they can't pay people to have a greater amount of education. The great thing is however, they provide supplementary education for free.

Pros

Rewarding work; great staff; collaboration; support; education

Cons

Pay is not great

Good for Grads

This place is good for grads, and you are able to meet kids of all walks of life there- I don't want to work anywhere else and I really hope to make the OCSB my life-long career.

Excellent work-life balance & benefits

Excellent professional development opportunities through their "Leading and Learning" department. Very few opportunities for advancement for non-teaching staff. Philanthropic climate, always looking to help people in the community, especially students and their families Top management team put emphasis on being part of a community, mental wellness, and professional growth

Good place

I enjoy this job, the children are wonderful and learning more about each of them has been a great experience. The most difficult part is the hours. As a supply attendant I only receive minimal hours right now.

A great atmosphere. Great training and great people to work with.

The working conditions are great! Teachers, students and staff were wonderful to be with everyday. I work for them anytime! There was great training, resources and help when needed. It was a comfortable yet professional environment.

Stressful Environment

For an office administrator there is a lack of training if you are not familiar with the environment, very little support. It is very stressful and expected to do more than your job description

A Fun Place to work for the right individual

Teaching is a calling, not everyone is cut out to do this job. If you love the challenge of thinking on your feet, being pushed to excel and dedicating yourself to your career this is the place for you. Dealing with administration and the ministry pressures are difficult to deal with and can wear on you, but when you look at the relations you build with co-workers and students it is all worth it.

Ok

Ok but got removed from the system.without giving me any notice. Dont know if i am still hired. The site is not user friendly. Hard to find a good school you want to work regularly. Some school will give you too much students with behaviour

A place where you can't go anywhere by working alone.

The OCSB is not the perfect school bord but it takes the time to teach you how to become a responsible citizen and I feel that not many school take the time out of the day to work on those things/.

Great Experience

Challenging work and lots of new faces to meet and work with everyday. The challenging bit is working with diverse group dynamics with the children and also educators who come from different experiences in their background.

Fun relaxed and rewarding

Overall just a relaxing job. Get your work done and you're good. Pays well but no paid days off. I have worked at many schools and everyone I worked with was willing to help and super nice.

good place to work. good opportunities to grow

diversity of culture. a good place to work at. the OCSB is a multicultural workplace. Good centers. Good benefits. friendly staff. The parents are nice.

Flexible and Constant

Working supply shifts requires one to be flexible with their schedule as well as their ability to receive shifts. This means one must be ready to get a shift months in advance or for simply the next morning. Being able to go to different schools keeps each shift different.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Catholic School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2