Ottawa Catholic School Board Employee Reviews

Old School Management
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2020
When I first started I was excited about my new position. But as the 7 years went by doing contract over contract, recommendations over recommendations with out no permanent position I gave up in believing in there value for there employees. The seniority system is completely old school. Yelling, shaming, discrimination, and lack of understanding for the teacher. You will be lucky to find equality in theirs schools.
Stressful Environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. John Paul II School15 January 2020
For an office administrator there is a lack of training if you are not familiar with the environment, very little support.
It is very stressful and expected to do more than your job description
Ok
Educational Assistant/Developmental assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2020
Ok but got removed from the system.without giving me any notice. Dont know if i am still hired. The site is not user friendly. Hard to find a good school you want to work regularly. Some school will give you too much students with behaviour
A place where you can't go anywhere by working alone.
Student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2019
The OCSB is not the perfect school bord but it takes the time to teach you how to become a responsible citizen and I feel that not many school take the time out of the day to work on those things/.
Great Experience
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2019
Challenging work and lots of new faces to meet and work with everyday. The challenging bit is working with diverse group dynamics with the children and also educators who come from different experiences in their background.
Fun relaxed and rewarding
CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2019
Overall just a relaxing job. Get your work done and you're good. Pays well but no paid days off. I have worked at many schools and everyone I worked with was willing to help and super nice.
good place to work. good opportunities to grow
Educator (Current Employee) –  everywhere30 October 2019
diversity of culture. a good place to work at.
the OCSB is a multicultural workplace.
Good centers.
Good benefits.
friendly staff.
The parents are nice.
Flexible and Constant
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 October 2019
Working supply shifts requires one to be flexible with their schedule as well as their ability to receive shifts. This means one must be ready to get a shift months in advance or for simply the next morning. Being able to go to different schools keeps each shift different.
Amazing
Extended Day Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2019
Very accommodating with personal days, sick days etc.
Great pay.
Room for advancement.
Constant professional development opportunities provided
Great mentors
Education/curriculum based workplace
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2019
OCSB is a workplace that primarily focuses on curriculum for education of its students. OCSB would benefit from focusing on re-evaluating the needs of school systems in today's society. As an EA in the OCSB the job can be rewarding when encountering wonderful co-staff and students. Additionally it is rewarding when making a difference in a students' experience and progress in school and with their overall behaviours. However, the job runs the increased risk of burn out as there is minimal EA support in schools; therefore, leading the current employed support staff with many high-needs students to support (i.e. 1:5 staff to student ratio minimum.). Lastly, the salary does not reflect the hard work and dedication of Educational Assistants in the school. This adds to the increased risk of EA burn out due to the fact that EA staff can afford to take few days off to re-charge in order to provide the best support.
Employer with both students and teachers concerns listen to.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2019
Busy environment with needs of students taken into consideration. You could spend a lot of time outside the classroom setting if you wish. Working environment is great but with stressful moments.
Summer Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 November 2018
The Ottawa Catholic School Board was a great place to work. I worked 35 hours a week during the summer months of July and August. A typical day for me was cleaning classrooms and moving furniture in order to wax the floors to get it ready for the new school year. The hardest part of the job was moving some of the bigger furniture. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other custodians. My Supervisor took me under his wing and taught me a lot. I gained a lot of experience from this custodian position that I can put towards the next place I work.
Ok
Supervisor- Extended Day Program (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 November 2018
They had great benefits, salary was ok but I left because in my area it seemed that we were not respected. Principals and management seemed not to care.
great place to work.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON7 November 2018
The typical work day is fast moving it consists of going classroom to classroom wiping down tables, chairs, sweeping, moping and changing the garbage. the employees are very friendly making it a great work environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2018
The most enjoyable part of the volunteer job was the playful interaction with the kids. The Supervisor that allowed me to volunteer is awesome and fun.
productive and fun to be with children
Early learning assistant Assistant EDP (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 September 2018
The most enjoyable part about my job is working with children and teaching them new skills.

and when I see the smiles on their little faces I feel I made a difference in their life.
Pros
working with kids allows me to express my inner kid
Cons
some times its hard to deal with difficult parents
Great!
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2018
they are great to work for!
great work life balance!
very accommodating
great staff
great school
i wish i could stay there longer but i am moving and sad that i will not eb able to work there anymore
The people I worked with were excellent
EDP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2018
The school I have worked in were very welcoming and the staff were very nice and helpful. It was a fun place to work. The administration staff that I had to deal with were very helpful and respond to all my questions about work.
Amazing Experience
"In-Class Tutor" (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2018
Staff is welcoming and friendly, everyday i walk into work with a big smile on my face looking forward to a new day, everyone is so willing to help each other out and management is respectful and understanding of it's workers.
If you have a disability no chance of job advancement and very discriminatory
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2018
Have worked for 30+ years and the whole time was very tough on my disability which caused many recurrences of bad health. My disability caused me to miss time and therefore was never given the chance to succeed properly. In fact, they increased my workload in comparison to others in the same position to try to get me to quit and they did this over the last 15 years. My first choice as a taxpayer would be to amalgamate the 2 Ottawa boards as it's very well known that the public board treats their employees much much better. Have had many chances to bring a human rights claim against them but had to bite my tongue to keep supporting my family. The board gives success pins to everyone at 20 years 25 years and 30 years...I never got one. The board gives a retirement watch but probably not to me. Extremely discriminatory workplace.
Pros
Shorter summer work days
Cons
If you're not into giving lip service you'll never get anywhere