Ottawa Carleton District School Board

Ottawa Carleton District School Board Management reviews

Canada103 reviews
Great job, but with the things certain positions are exposed to, not enough salary is earned in the end. An increase in salary is a must if, they don't want to continue the high turn over rate within the Support Staff division.
Managements inability to support and encourage their ECE's can be quite frustrating and dismissive. A large company that does not listen to their front line staff but instead point fingers and dismiss valuable and crucial feed back from non teaching staff.
Pros
Ample leave, shorter hours, great benefits package
Cons
Never enough time to complete work, hierarchy that does not value front line staff, unrealistic expectations of staff with no back up or follow through
The OCDSB does not care about its teachers, or other educators. All educators are governed by ridiculous, limiting rules, that completely hinder real learning of any kind. Parents are always right. Students are always right. Educators are always wrong. They are never backed by the administration or the board.
Upper management cares little to surround/hirer/retain strong and experienced individuals. Not a progressive work environment in any way. Little room for advancement.
I worked with adult learners, which was interesting. I learned that even in adult classrooms there will be behaviour problems. Summer school was a very tight timeframe and I put in long days to get things finished. Management and co-workers were supportive and helped me get through.
learned to work with different sort of people
learned more about different age groups

easy going atmosphere

was able to assist management and so learned things that they do and how they do it
Good working environment. Co-workers are helpful, intelligent and easy to work with. Management is approachable. Culture is relaxed. Hardest part was repetition.
Consistent school hours. The workplace culture is that of teamwork and co-operation. The most enjoyable part of the position is seeing the students succeed.
Pros
Consistently enjoyed the job
Cons
Management styles vary.
Unionized environment which can cause some issues around bargaining time.

Older workforce, change is not always readily embraced.

Top management are mainly educators.
Working as part of the custodial staff at Churchill was the most enjoyable job I have had so far. Straight forward tasks without anyone telling me how they think I should complete my own task.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
6am start
Es un trabajo en equipo, lo mas importante es el bienestar y seguridad del niño. El personal con mas experiencia siempre esta pendiente de enseñar y ayudarte en todo.
Pros
Excelente
Cons
Excelente
learned management and team working skills and I got to work with children which I really enjoy. the people are very friendly and easy going so it is easy to work with them
Pros
working with children
It is a job that requires attention to detail.sometimes it can be very busy and requires you to have good time management skills because you will have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it
Great for learning time management skills. Excellent benefits and security. Co-workers can be easily disgruntled. Can teach basic to high understanding of building management
I am enjoying my work in FDK and EDP. Management is really good and well organized. Staff is cooperative. Management takes interest in providing training and workshops to the staff.
A typical day at work is always being surprised. The job deals with constant thinking on your feet and is high paced. I like that it gives me a sense of accomplishment and that I do see results. Both the management and my co workers are really engaging and have a lot of input and come to anyone aid during there time of need. The hardest part of my job is waiting for results to occur with in the child. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that this child is respected and loved by me and that I am working with the child to help them succeed in our world.
Pros
Geting feedback when in need
Cons
Not enough time with the child when teaching a new technique in learning.
I go to school in each Saturday at 9:00. I spend the whole day teaching and doing activities for the students. being a teacher I have learned very important things in like being on time, multitasking and being responsible for the others. on the other hand management is very beneficial in the classroom. My relationship with the co-workers helps me with teaching, we share thoughts and opinions about teaching methods and lessons. The hardest part of the job is to spend extra time with students who are in lower stage that the other students, but I try to divide students in equal groups and that way students can also learn from each other. The most enjoyable part is when I see my students progress in their learning stage and when I build a strong connection between me and the students
Pros
early time
Cons
the teaching time is very short
I work only on Saturdays. I teach children Chin language. The management is good but sometimes they are careless with keeping documents safely. My co-workers are very calm and peaceful people. The hardest part of the job is waking up early and the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting children and interacting with them.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not stable
It is a fun place to work, going up in rank/ salary is treated poorly, you can apply for higher paying positions but they do not hire you by productivity they hire by seniority.
Pros
not rushed, good starting salary at full time
Cons
hiring by seniority not by productivity.