Ottawa Carleton District School Board Employee Reviews

Average workplace
Term office worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 January 2019
Depends who you work for, departments range from relaxed and productive to hectic and error prone with significant office disfunction. Better than most federal gov't departments though.
Both teachers and admin staff can wait years to land a permanent position...some never achieve it due to various reasons. Software and hardware for IT are out of date, and will take millions of dollars to bring to an acceptable standard. This is controlled by the Ontario Ministry of Education, not entirely the fault of the OCDSB. Very little funding is available for office staff training, and working outside your defined "box" is generally discouraged, which will affect your career progression.
Free parking (but limited lot size), and generally a good commute with multiple approaches to the main admin offices. Students have been known to occasionally vandalize vehicles at 133 Greenbank Rd. during the school year, and surveillance camera coverage and resolution is well below standard. Significant gull population requires frequent washing of your vehicle during bird season.
Pros
Predictable business cycle - peaks during late Aug to mid Oct
Cons
Relatively poor health care benefits for non-union workers
Good employer, limited opportunities for advancement
Finance Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2018
Unionized environment which can cause some issues around bargaining time.

Older workforce, change is not always readily embraced.

Top management are mainly educators.
good place to work but not consistent hours
Audio-Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Longfields Davidson Heights secondary school30 January 2018
My job for the ocdsb was to come into the auditorium at one of the schools and do technical work for people renting it out, hours were extremely inconsistent
Not enough information
Language Instructor - Spanish (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2017
I only work Saturdays, therefore I don't have a lot of information to base my review on. But, from my interactions with the members of the schools I work on, they have been very nice and helpful.
Productive and interesting place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2017
everyday a new challenge, no two days the same. Pleasant working conditions.

Dealing with a vast number of people, from parents, teachers, principals, vice-principals, office support staff, community members.
Fun place
Language Instructor - Spanish (Weekend) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2017
I have only started this year teaching in the International program and so far I really like it all. Since I am in a part time basis, I have no idea about their benefits, but know people that have permanent positions and like it.
Productive and Fun
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON27 August 2017
A bunch of good guys that have a good time while still being productive. You and your crew go school to school to complete work orders or other tasks you are asked to do, different every day!
Pros
40 hour weeks
Cons
get paid minimum wage
Excelente ambiente de trabajo, trabajo en equipo
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, CAnada27 August 2017
Es un trabajo en equipo, lo mas importante es el bienestar y seguridad del niño. El personal con mas experiencia siempre esta pendiente de enseñar y ayudarte en todo.
Pros
Excelente
Cons
Excelente
professional workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 August 2017
as a teacher I learned a lot from my student. I love teaching and spending time with teenagers, the most enjoyable part of job was looking at their kind and smart eyes
using public schools on Saturdays,gives opportunity to children to learn their mother tongue and their culture.
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2017
Availability of using public schools on Saturdays, and being among the others with the same culture,gives opportunity to children to learn and communicate with their language ,and learn more about their culture.
Pros
gives the opportunity to children to learn their mother tongue and their culture
Cons
it was only part time opportunity
Custodian
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 May 2017
The custodian work is a great job if you enjoy working independently. The work is enjoyable to see a difference in cleaning the school. It has major potential to continue and become a full-time employee.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Working alone
always learning something new
Custodian (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
It is a job that requires attention to detail.sometimes it can be very busy and requires you to have good time management skills because you will have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it
very demanding
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
This job is very demanding,
when you work for the school board you have to make sure things are sanitary as you are dealing with a kids environmental
people are nice but not great benefits or job security as an Early learning assistant
Early Learning Assistant at Manotick P.S (Current Employee) –  Manotick, ON24 November 2016
A typical day for an Early learning assistant is to prepare snack,
go outside, supervise the children while they play.
Liaison with teachers and EA's about any behavior challenges during the day that may affect the after school program.
Research, and develop age appropriate and educational activities for them to do, assist in the preparation and carrying it out.
Serve snack, and read a story.
Possibly go to the gym or something physically active for them to do such as kids yoga or a game.
Assist with anything else that the ECE needs help with.
Great job security
Chief Custodian (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2016
Positive work place
Always something good to learn in each day by observing others alike
Managers always available
Ups and downs when referring to co workers must be a good listener before becoming a great leader

Having to witness hardships within families and dealing with mentally challenged students is hard at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is by being able to make a positive difference in kids lives.
Great hours! Great Pay!
Full-Time summer employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
The Ottawa Carleton District School Board gave me great hours, and paid well. Overall was a great job and i would work there again!
Teaching high school is both intensely rewarding and stressful
Education and Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2016
Over the 35 years I taught, the teaching and work culture had changed immensely.
In the past there were more steady careers and greater opportunities.Thus it had been easier to encourage students to study and reach ahead.
The work world has become fast-paced and ever-changing and so uncertain. I feel very bad for the students of the future .. and as such I question whether the work structure environment it is healthy.
Nevertheless learning is not lost- what we learns stays in our heads and permits us to seek opportunities and that is why education is such an important factor in peoples' lives.

The typical day for a teacher is fast-paced. You have to be alert at all times, with directing and observing.
It is truly a great moment when you, as a teacher, see 'lights go on'
in the minds of the students ...or you see smiles on students' faces.
The hardest part is juggling evaluation with the fast pace of lesson delivery.
Pros
encounters with great colleagues and students
Cons
long hours...
Daily Supply Teaching
Daily Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 March 2016
I enjoy working for the Ottawa Carleton District School Board. The administrative staff are always very welcoming and the teachers and Educational assistance are open to assist with any questions I may have about a particular assignment.
Pros
Increase work experience in different courses and schools
Cons
Not always consistent work
Good work environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2015
It is a good work environment but as a supply teacher, there is no guarantee of full-time work everyday... hence the reason for seeking other employment opportunities.
I love working with ocdsb
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2015
I am enjoying my work in FDK and EDP. Management is really good and well organized. Staff is cooperative. Management takes interest in providing training and workshops to the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Carleton District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3