Ottawa Carleton District School Board

Ottawa Carleton District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada98 reviews
Productive workplace
Thanks, The Board welcomes input from community members. If you would like to address the Board or Committee of the Whole at one of the two meetings you may request to do so as a delegation. To appear as a delegation you must register before the start of the meeting. If you register before the agenda is posted you will be allotted up to four minutes, if you register immediately prior to the meeting, you will be allotted two minutes.
very cooperative board.
OCBSD is a business
The OCDSB does not care about its teachers, or other educators. All educators are governed by ridiculous, limiting rules, that completely hinder real learning of any kind. Parents are always right. Students are always right. Educators are always wrong. They are never backed by the administration or the board.
Student Services
I greet students as they enter the department. I help them with their needs ~ direct to a professional, counselor or answer their questions. It is an constant changing environment, very faced paced.
Pros
Most students are quite polite
Cons
getting laid off every summer
Ocdsb is a great place to wor
Ocdsb is a great place to work there fair and by the books they could maybe work a little faster in the review process. Or get the job offers out and the successful candidates working..
Rewarding Challenge everyday
Being an educator is a rewarding challenge each day. Discovering each student’s strengths and passions each day is the goal. Education is the cornerstone of success and I will motivate them to exceed to their greatest potential.
Pros
Witnessing growth and development
Cons
Tend to take work with you
Productive and fun workplace with good support for teachers.
It is a good work place with respect and learning opportunities for new teachers. The board promotes diversity and inclusion of all who worked and studied there.
Very strong learning environment
Entering into a classroom for the first time as an Occasional Teacher can be a stressful experience. However, the School-Board ensures that I am prepared with materials and have a foundation of knowledge and level of education to provide enhanced learning opportunities for the students I work with.
Overall good
Easy work and a day JOB, wage is ok, in the low bracket.
The benefits package is simply amazing.

The only thing I can say that was the co stannegative is the lack of constancy of the management to keep the same goal for a long period of time. I did enjoy my time there
great occupation, tough to get in
great work environment, unionized, and if you are at a good school with respect to colleagues, then it's just amazing. principals can make or break your experience, but i have been fortunate to work with some amazing teams and great leaders
Good place to work.
Ocdsb is a good place to work. Job stability, collaboration among staff, build relationships with children and parents. Benefits are great. Can be fast paced.
Overall decent place to work, relaxed atmosphere, good people, collaborative space. Requires being able to work alone or with others. would recommend to someone
Highly dysfunctional
Upper management cares little to surround/hirer/retain strong and experienced individuals. Not a progressive work environment in any way. Little room for advancement.
custodian
It takes a long time to reach full time hours and a permanent work location. Constant change in work location. Minimum wage pay as a casual custodian. Training is fast tracked with little to no practical training before you start. Casual and regular part time custodians are not treated equal with full-time custodians.
25+ years. Great pension and benefits
Great place to work, good hours with the possibility of working close to home. Lots of chance for advancement if you want. Salary grid system. Strong pension.
It’s sucked working here
I didnt like working at OCDSB Everyone looks under early childhood educators. You’d try to take religious days they’d only give you 1 out of the year. We get paid less out of everyone in the board and we do most of the work. I was never happy working here. That’s why I left. We are more than just a babysitter, we are educators just like how everyone else is. So treat us like educators!
Fun place to work at
Worked 3 days a week in a grade 3 and grade 5 class. Tutored students one-on-one or in groups in subjects like math, science and english. Very fun and supportive environment.
Summer school is a lot of work
I worked with adult learners, which was interesting. I learned that even in adult classrooms there will be behaviour problems. Summer school was a very tight timeframe and I put in long days to get things finished. Management and co-workers were supportive and helped me get through.
Under paid and over worked
Great job, but with the things certain positions are exposed to, not enough salary is earned in the end. An increase in salary is a must if, they don't want to continue the high turn over rate within the Support Staff division.
Great to referee many junior matches
Worked during league matches and one tournament as a novice referee. The tournament was done at Gloucester high school which held at least eight different junior boys teams.
Low Wages for a Large City and Skilled Work
The board does not pay as well as it should. Even the not-for-profits in the area have better pay. There seems to be very little permanent opportunities but lots of supply roles.

And they wonder why they are nearly having to shut down the extended day program... LOW WAGES. They are constantly begging for people to take shifts but if they paid min $18 for ECAs and $23 to start for ECEs then they would have more happy and willing workers.
Professional Workplace Environment
Fast paced work environment, lots of room to grow in this company. Enjoyed learning new things everyday! Lots of team-building activities throughout the year(s).
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ottawa Carleton District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2