OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan)

OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews
Featured review
OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) selected this as a representative review
Strong culture where you feel valued
A place where they are very conscious of work/life balance
Great benefits plan

Kept in the loop by management with Town Hall meetings on a regular basis
9 September 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're glad to know that you are having a positive experience with us! - HR Team
Company will take care of you, advancement is there - hard industry
The company is always looking for ways to improve you, and advance your career. They are always focused on making sure you are healthy and happy where you work. Lots of employee wellness days. The job itself is difficult due to the sensitive manner. Health benefits are a sensitive subject to certain individuals and can take policy/procedure as an insult. It is a fast paced environment and you will need to work well under pressure. You will need to make sure you are emotionally strong and don't let people affect you.
14 April 2020
Thank you for the taking the time to share your feedback with us. We strive to provide a positive work environment and experience for all of our employees and we are happy you enjoyed your time at OTIP. - HR Team
Call Centre environment with strict quality control measures
The procedures were lengthy and difficult to navigate
Quality Control audited and were unforgiving even when there were no procedures documented for tasks being penalized on.

Errors went against performance even in beginning

Training was great but probably could have benefited from more hands-on in between all the information that was delivered.

Stressful environment- demanding customers and resources limited
6 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please note that we take all feedback seriously and we will communicate your concerns internally. - HR Team
If it seems too good to be true than it usually is
New employees who have just been hired have been hired on with a higher salary, therefore new people are making more than the employees who have stuck with the company through the NUMEROUS hardships faced.

Systems don't work, it makes your job harder.

Angry members calling in to complain, you can expect to be yelled at multiple times a day.

People call in sick because they are stressed, and instead of working on making the workplace better for employees they make changes that just worsen the conditions.

Management, please take a hard look at the environment right now. 10-20 people are on leave, 10-20 people call in sick each day. It's not illness, its mental stress and anxiety that employees experience working for this company. Many more leaves will be on the way, as well as turnover. We are promised it will get better and easier, and we're still waiting for that two years in.
6 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We take all feedback we receive from employees very seriously. Fostering a work environment where employees feel valued is a key priority for us. We are committed to addressing all employee concerns and encourage you to contact Human Resources to discuss your concerns further. - HR Team
fun people great hours
worked here for 5 years was walked out do to making to high a salary
management was good awesome benefits fre training lots of trining lunchs and paid trining
22 January 2020
Thank you very much for posting this feedback. We're glad that you had a positive experience with our management team, benefits and training opportunities. Regarding the circumstances surrounding the end of your employment, we welcome you to contact our HR team to discuss further. - HR Team.
A little company that grew
It used to be a great place to work but they grew too fast without having the right resources in place for the growth. There were too many system issues that weren't worked out properly and we would be the brunt of the anger.
Pros
regular hours
Cons
poor compensation for the knowledge you had to have
If you are a sheep then you'll be fine !
Bad management .....only care about service levels and metrics! Too much micro management and work load in too many different areas .....speak up about these things and you're out 😩
1 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience. Fostering a positive work environment is important to us. Please be assured that your comments will be shared internally. -HR team.
Horrible place to work
Extremely unorganized departments,no manager assistance for Jr reps, HR have no idea how to handle a large group of people such as OTIP. If the rare time I called into work late I would leave a msg or speak to the front desk but when I arrived I would get called in by my manager and HR saying that I had a strike against me for NOT calling in, I would have to explain that I had and whom I spoke to and once they verified they were in the wrong they quickly apologized and moved on. There were a billion other things in the 8 months I worked there. All in all I would not reccomend OTIP as aplace to work
17 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Your concerns will be communicated internally. We wish you the best in moving forward. - HR Team.
Great workplace and awesome people to work with!
Otip is a great place to work, lots of fun events for employees, the people are great, everyone is there to support you and is very friendly. I have learned a lot so far and lots of resources and opportunities to advance.
Pros
35 hour work week, salad bar, gym discount, advancement opportunities.
Cons
Nothing so far, keep it up!
The best place i have ever worked
Employees and Managers are helpful and respectful
I didn't felt stressed at all

Good pay. Hardly any office drama, clean environment,

I have not find yet good place to work like the OTIP yet
Pros
Beautiful lunch room
8 July 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are thrilled to read your positive comments about our workplace! - HR team
Contract position
I was treated very well by management which motivated me to go beyond what I thought possible. My team was also treated well and we were able to complete our project a week ahead of our due date.
17 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are really happy you enjoyed your time at OTIP! - Human Resources Team
Great place to work as title states. Worked there for 2 years as a software developer. They help you grow and better as a developer and person. Team was absolutely amazing. Left only to pursue other opportunities to grow as a developer my self. No regrets working there, would go back if I could :) Miss the team, still meet for lunches. Hope the business continues to produce great results. Great Place
Pros
Benefits are amazing, work life balance, great employess
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Things have changed
OTIP has gone through tremendous change/growth over the last few years.
Only care about numbers- high expectations

Call centre brokerage

High stress

Super high turnover

Below average pay

Good benefits
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High Stress, No room for growth
23 April 2019
Thank you for sharing this feedback on your experience working with us. You are correct to say that we have undergone a lot of change and growth over the last few years. We want to emphasize that building a positive workplace culture is very important to us and we have shared your feedback internally. We wish you all the best moving forward. - Human Resources Team.
Review alternative OTIP profile - more recent reviews
It seems as if management had very unrealistic goals for BSRs. I really wish my managers did my job, even just for a day. The contract employees and permanent riddle makes no sense and no one seems to care. I am glad to had found another job.
Definitely should not be a top employer in Waterloo or anywhere.
Management created an environment of chaos. Instead of utilizing their leaders they had to help fix the problems OTIP was encountering, they approved bandaid solution, after bandaid solution. Time should have been taken for process improvement much earlier than it was. Instead, the decision was made to very rapidly hire many reps, and then subsequently they had to let them go, or not renew their contracts, even if they were solid employees. This created a very high level of stress and anxiety in the Group Call Centre.

The process for performance management meant that most reps were placed on performance plans only having been in their role for 4 months, however, there is a very large learning curve for the role, especially because of the constantly changing information and processes.

Management was not supportive and was more set on creating reasons for employee failure, instead of helping employees succeed. Many high performing employees were misjudged and let go due to poor leadership.

Support from HR was very lacking!

Benefits coverage decreased, and employee cost to LTD sky rocketed.
Pros
On site cafe with inexpensive salad bar, although the price increased.
Cons
Poor management decisions, non collaborative work flow, stressed and overworked, under-appreciated employees.
Terrible experience
Lay offs, poor management, unfair hiring practices. Definately not the same reputation as they had prior. Everything is total chaos with no training or any documentation to follow. No job security and resentment as people in the same role make very different salaries.
Benefits
Cons
The job itself
Learned a lot in my 2 years there would recommend OTIP Highly! The people all the way from Exec down were incredible to work with, I was sad to leave however had a better opportunity come my way.
Upper Management
Old fashion thinking, upper management is not appropriate.
Very hard to advance or become permanent employee...

Your time tracking system and computer system is old , they will need to update them to move forward and keep up with technology...
No Opportunity
I was hired on a contract and was told there would be lots of opportunity to be hired on permanent when my contract ended. For 8 months they told me I was doing a great job and was put in several ongoing training classes and told by my manager I would not have had all this extra training if there weren't keeping me. Two weeks before my contract ended I was brought into a room and told they had decided not to renew any contracts as they no longer needed the contract workers. The management team never seems to know whats going on. Management will tell you they are looking into things and never get back to you. The pay and hours are great. But management is really poor and they lead you on to avoid and conflict.
Pros
treats/salad bar/ pay/hours
Cons
poor management/no recognition/no opportunity/high turnover/stressful
Customer service role lacks balance
Competitive salary and benefits for the position of benefits services representative (I.e. Customer service). Pretty much the only good things, as work culture is highly stressful and lots of pressure. Lacks balanced work-life due to rotation schedules; instability due to continuously changing environment. Little to no advancement opportunities. Fast burnout and high turnaround rate.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
High stress, instability
Fun place to work for
Lots of opportunities and great work life balance

Excellent benefits package, vacation, and lots of great and knowledgeable people.

Cafeteria is great with salad bar.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan). Our community is ready to answer.
OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) Reviews by Location