OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) Employee Reviews

Design Developer I (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2019
Great place to work as title states. Worked there for 2 years as a software developer. They help you grow and better as a developer and person. Team was absolutely amazing. Left only to pursue other opportunities to grow as a developer my self. No regrets working there, would go back if I could :) Miss the team, still meet for lunches. Hope the business continues to produce great results. Great Place
Pros
Benefits are amazing, work life balance, great employess
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Review alternative OTIP profile - more recent reviews
Benefits representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 December 2018
It seems as if management had very unrealistic goals for BSRs. I really wish my managers did my job, even just for a day. The contract employees and permanent riddle makes no sense and no one seems to care. I am glad to had found another job.
Definitely should not be a top employer in Waterloo or anywhere.
Assistant Manager, Benefits Services Call Centre (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 December 2018
Management created an environment of chaos. Instead of utilizing their leaders they had to help fix the problems OTIP was encountering, they approved bandaid solution, after bandaid solution. Time should have been taken for process improvement much earlier than it was. Instead, the decision was made to very rapidly hire many reps, and then subsequently they had to let them go, or not renew their contracts, even if they were solid employees. This created a very high level of stress and anxiety in the Group Call Centre.

The process for performance management meant that most reps were placed on performance plans only having been in their role for 4 months, however, there is a very large learning curve for the role, especially because of the constantly changing information and processes.

Management was not supportive and was more set on creating reasons for employee failure, instead of helping employees succeed. Many high performing employees were misjudged and let go due to poor leadership.

Support from HR was very lacking!

Benefits coverage decreased, and employee cost to LTD sky rocketed.
Pros
On site cafe with inexpensive salad bar, although the price increased.
Cons
Poor management decisions, non collaborative work flow, stressed and overworked, under-appreciated employees.
Terrible experience
Benefit (Former Employee) –  Waterloo9 October 2018
Lay offs, poor management, unfair hiring practices. Definately not the same reputation as they had prior. Everything is total chaos with no training or any documentation to follow. No job security and resentment as people in the same role make very different salaries.
Benefits
Cons
The job itself
IT Manager/Acting Director (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 September 2018
Learned a lot in my 2 years there would recommend OTIP Highly! The people all the way from Exec down were incredible to work with, I was sad to leave however had a better opportunity come my way.
Upper Management
Benefit Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2018
Old fashion thinking, upper management is not appropriate.
Very hard to advance or become permanent employee...
Your time tracking system and computer system is old , they will need to update them to move forward and keep up with technology...
No Opportunity
Benefits Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 August 2018
I was hired on a contract and was told there would be lots of opportunity to be hired on permanent when my contract ended. For 8 months they told me I was doing a great job and was put in several ongoing training classes and told by my manager I would not have had all this extra training if there weren't keeping me. Two weeks before my contract ended I was brought into a room and told they had decided not to renew any contracts as they no longer needed the contract workers. The management team never seems to know whats going on. Management will tell you they are looking into things and never get back to you. The pay and hours are great. But management is really poor and they lead you on to avoid and conflict.
Pros
treats/salad bar/ pay/hours
Cons
poor management/no recognition/no opportunity/high turnover/stressful
Customer service role lacks balance
Benefits Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 August 2018
Competitive salary and benefits for the position of benefits services representative (I.e. Customer service). Pretty much the only good things, as work culture is highly stressful and lots of pressure. Lacks balanced work-life due to rotation schedules; instability due to continuously changing environment. Little to no advancement opportunities. Fast burnout and high turnaround rate.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
High stress, instability
Fun place to work for
Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 August 2018
Lots of opportunities and great work life balance

Excellent benefits package, vacation, and lots of great and knowledgeable people.

Cafeteria is great with salad bar.
High Stress environment
Benefit Service Representitive (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2018
Not a place for everyone. High stress extreme requirements for QA adherence, After call time. Micro-managing is at an all time high. On the other side the benefits are really good and you get free coffee, tea, hot chocolate everyday.
Productive Workplace
Benefit Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 July 2018
Great work environment and the people are very friendly. I enjoy coming to work everyday.
The members I speak to on the phone are usually quite pleasant.
Pros
Salad Bar
Management cared very little!
IT Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 May 2018
The best thing about working here was the hard working employees and co-workers I had.
It was very difficult to be successful with no manager in place for 4 or the 6 months of my employment.
It was a very stressful position working in the IT area. Upper management cared very little about the amount of work and the effects on the support team.
Continual promises for long term employment never came true with the extra effort given to the work.
Pay was very low compared to similar positions in the area.
Great culture and people
Benefits Administration/Warranty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 May 2018
OTIP is a fast growing company that is customer service driven. The people there are all working toward the same goal and that is to help the education community in Ontario with their insurance needs. They care about their employees a great deal.
Pros
great benefits, good pay, great culture
Company with a heart
Bilingual Assistant Manager, Benefits Services (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 April 2018
Non for profit with values in the right place. Enjoyed the people. New to their contract with new client and so, there’s lots of road bumps and kinks to figure out.
Pros
Subsidized salad bar
Cons
Lacking structure and processes
Excellent workplace
Insurance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 March 2018
The office atmosphere was excellent. Everyone got along well. The work was interesting and everyone was well organized so that everything went smoothly.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Contract work when I was young
Good company to work for
Manager Business Systems (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 October 2017
Life at OTIP has been very fast paced from day 1. OTIP has seen considerable growth with the awarding of the provincial educational works benefit plans. Preparation and delivery of this growth has been one of the most challenging, yet enjoyable aspect of the job. The culture is very employee oriented. I have expanded my experience in defining the team direction, stabilizing key business processes and designing the data architecture for repatriating corporate data. With the adoption of operations I had the opportunity to introduce a new service culture that increased executive satisfaction by 30% in the first 6 months. The only real limitation is the limited room for career advancement.
Pros
Excellent culture, great benefits
Cons
Due to size limited room for career advancement
Great culture, and approach to employees
Bilingual Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 July 2017
Working in the call center is a great difference from others. The company focuses more on quality of service than speed of answer, always prioritizing a good experience for the clients. This makes it a lot more pleasant to talk to callers, as they are much more likely to be positive about the call experience. The company has many events and tokens of appreciation for its employees, from the occasional beer cart, to assorted treats and thank you notes.
Great place but terrible management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 May 2017
Pay attention to the turnover in certain departments, it's because of the management.

A lot of growth, but not much room for advancement.

Pay is average at best, but benefits are good,
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Terrible Management
Great Company
Bilingual Plan Member Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 April 2017
Great place to work, a company that cares for their employees and a great company that helps the community. Great workplace culture and a lot room for advancement.
Great experience
Bilingual Benefits Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 May 2016
I had a great experience working at OTIP RAEO.
Great colleagues.
Most enjoyable part of the job was how great the staff were.
Pros
Salary
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan). Our community is ready to answer.

OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) Reviews by Location