OTG Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
Unorganized
I started when the company first arrived in the airport when things were still under trial and error. Had alot of kinks to work out but was overall an interesting experience.
productive
I love working here at OTG, very busy place
OTG is given me an opportunity to grow, I started as money room attendant and now they promoted me to money room supervisor.

Very good employee
Very management
Very reliable job. Though this job has fast-paced environment yet, very good as colleagues are quite collaborative and helpful. I recommend my friends to be a part of OTG.
Bad
Not a good environment, management take advantage. They pay unfairly and require long hours, don't adhere to your schedule at all, schedule you based on what they feel like.
Straight garbage
They also got a union that does nothing to protect their workers , the pay isnt worth the work ethic as a cook you have to also provide customer service for the guests & they also dont pay the cooks tips for all the hard work they
Pros
Seeing celebrities walking through the airport
Cons
Last call is whenever the last flight is regardless of delayed flights or not
Pathetic workplace
Upper Management has no idea what they are doing. The airport Director has no idea what to do. They, clean up everything before they have a VIP visit so it seems that all is under control.
They already know when the health inspection, the so-called NSF inspection is going to happen. They replace or try to fix everything before that day.

Market sandwiches are not temped properly. During NSF inspection they put their market sandwiches in an ice bath so that the temps are done properly.

HR managers have no clue what they should do. Some are so dumb that we have to ask them that this is the way it should be done.

HR managers have no work at all. The documentation of employees has to be drafted by managers and delivered as well. HR managers don't have any involvement. If they don't operate at the airport then they would have closed.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everything else
Good to work for otg

Easy

Accessible

Provide many other opportunities

Passionate
fun fast paced restaurant service
The location says it all, it is in Pearson Toronto Airport. You are expected to provide good quality food to the on board passengers. So it have to be quality food served in an fast paced restaurant.
Pros
75% off in all OTG restaurants
A joke
I was employed as a bartender for about a month before I gave up. In the interview the offer high pay and benefits. The "high pay" is .10cents more per hour. You don't qualify to receive benefits until you've been employed for at least one year. I was unionized, but my managers were not. My coworkers treated the management like they had no authority. Leading to a VERY toxic environment between staff/management. Also many many structural problems, such as broken fridges, leaking sinks (resulting in working in puddles for hours).
Can be fun but not with the type of upper management they currently have
They have an excellent training program. But after training, you are just thrown into this void where upper management is almost unwilling to help or support. I really wish they provided more support as it is a fun place to work in.
Very good
Airport is busy. Company has very good staff. Management overall are very good.

I worked also for HMS host and OTG

Management is very similar in both companies

You have to like working in a busy environment
the worst four years of my life
working here destroyed my sense of self worth and my ability to love the service industry. a typical FIRST (and every day following that) day as a server looked like this: come into shift with NO cooks, NO cashier and multiple orders that have not been tended to. No management to help you, no morning person working at the restaurant. You are required to serve 300 seats (they all order off of ipads), while also being the bartender, barista, sometimes cook, bus boy, AND cashier to a full market of grab and go goods for people trying to make their plane on time. When asked for help - the manager would say "what, are you going to cry?". That manager has been fired for the discrimination of multiple employees, but the lack of organization and investment in the company from head office still exists today. The main bosses knew that this manager was not a good person and continued to defend her until email evidence got leaked and a human rights case was filed against her. This is corporate America in Canada, with a foundation built on making as much money as possible with zero regard for the love or health of humans. It is clear that as a server there you are just a number, until the main bosses get replaced that will never change. They are constantly trying to find ways to save money- making people work MULTIPLE roles they haven't been trained for. Shifts are minimum 10 hours. Workplace culture is toxic. People are being set up to get fired on the daily for no good reason. There is so much theft, we are often left without any beer or liquor for the week. Sales are horrible. Tips do - more...
Would not recommend
No clear vision for what the company wants to be, expected to be on call 24/7, don't want to spend money to make the place better and tight budgets. It is not the place to go to if you want to advance your culinary career .
Slow and Fast Paced with untimely breaks and unfair management
A customer once hurled a burrito at a worker from 30+ feet which narrowly missed their head, the manager approached the individual who had thrown it and proceeded to apologize, did not take into account the near assault on their worker and let the individual carry on with their day. All the while dismissing the workers for a late break as usual around the end of their shift.
Breaks were always late and sometimes given at the end of an 8 hour shift

Managers were unfair and not understanding of workplace situations

Workplace culture was unethical and lots of fighting among workers

Managers did not respond in a empathetic manner
Excellent work environment at a well known airport globally.
I developed myself as a confident employee learning culinary skills, workplace management, working under pressure and fast paced environment and a creative thinker.
Pros
Discount on shops and restaurants at airport
Multi-culture/ Lively Environemnt
everyday was great experience working at otg because everyday we meet new faces and new challenges but with the help of management and the co-worker it seems great.
company is good but sometimes intend to be biased towards the FOH.
closings are generally dependent on last flights and delays. work culture is good but the management is not so efficient. oppurtunities of advancement are minimal. most enjoyable part is the links and friendships you make their while the hardest is fast paced environment especially during holidays because the staff is not sufficient at any given time.
Pros
can work long hours
Cons
no free lunches, a lot of coachings(warnings) even on silly things
Beware
The work load is comparably easier than outside restaurants, however, with ineffective, dodgy upper management who fail to take on responsibility and initiative to tackle the root of the problems, it is set up to fail. One aspect of this can be simply observed through YYZ restaurant's fundamental design and layout. They have these 'back breaking sinks' that they installed in all of its restaurants; and this is just a tiny speck of its problems.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Tough people to manage and evasive upper management that do not support its managers
Excellent work environment
Amazing workplace as it is located inside the airport.A great company for growth and opportunities to learn through guidance of all the management team.
This place tricks you into slavery
100% underpaid for working any position. I was a cashier for a couple of months but i also did the job of a server, barista, food runner, food prep, dishwasher and promoting guests to make purchases. ALSO, the ceo would come around every day and tell us to VACCUM AND SWEEP the premises of the restaurants and do our job at the same time. As if there aren’t already GTAA housekeepers hired for that job specifically. $14/h and zero appreciation for this job is an absolute joke. It’s close to slave labour. You can’t even leave your position to use the washroom or you’ll lose a sale. Undignified, under appreciated, and soul-sucking environment. The crew is also rude and unfriendly, there is too much gossip and drama that goes around. Nobody has privacy. The only reason I worked there was because I was In between jobs until i found something more sensible. I WOULD NOT recommend working for this company to anyone. Unless you have seniority, you are good as garbage. The managers don’t give a flying care about you or your needs. The scheduling staff doesn’t even like doing they’re job. The lead once wrote in the group chat the he “was stressed and shouldn’t be bothered until the end of the week”. HOW PROFESSIONAL!!!!! Ugly and traumatizing experience overall.
Thank you otg for ruining my time at Pearson Airport. I will see you again in my nightmares.
Pros
Working in the airport
Cons
Everything.
Dont go here Bad sous Chef
First they are nice, then after few weeks you just want to quit.=(Environment, management, Chef, and workplace) If you dont believe me, go see it for yourself.