Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP

Canada26 reviews

Insights into Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Osler is top notch in providing legal services!

Osler has a lot to be desired, great legal professionals & interesting work. Only problem was Management created a lot of unnecessary office politics and HR encouraged negative gossip & gave unfair & biased treatment.

Pros

Wonderful legal professional group.

Cons

HR Management do not care about staff & created a very competitive culture.

Good people, good environment

Easy and relaxed environment where everyone knows their role and are free to exercise their own judgement (as opposed to all management directed). Many brilliant people to work with at Osler!

Pros

Free thinking, relqaxed. Set your own expe4ctations and schedule.

Cons

No Cons - even the location is ideal...King & Bay!

N/a

This is a relaxed firm that is expanding and they take care of their employees well. The social events are great and the lawyers and assistants are intelligent.

Great experience

Great experience. I only left because I needed to pursue a different career goal. Very collaborative workspace and great work life balance. The department I worked at would do well to improve advancement prospects.

Total corporate firm where you are but a number

Oppressive Toxic Management - not very people friendly People generally friendly but there definitely are cliques who think they know it all HR needs to be more attentive to staff comments and complaints and suggestions

Great firm

The culture of the firm is great and the team is very friendly and supportive. The office is located in the heart of the city. I highly recommend working at this firm.

Environnement agréable

Ils traitent leurs employés (aux petits oignons) très bien.

I have only worked at this company for 2.5 months but find it to be very unfriendly.

I am working as a practice assistant for a senior partner and I find it to be very stressful. It is more of a babysitting job than being a legal assistant. Not at all what I expected when I was hired.

Good place to start career

Fast-paced high volume work, hierarchy can be oddly strict and no mingling between departments and higher and lower positions; decent perks and benefits, overall a pleasant experience

Good but not great

It’s one of the major law firms in Canada but like all there is a split between lawyers and non lawyers within the firm. I can speak to the support, non lawyer side of the firm. While lawyers are top notch, the support is not. And it shows across all areas, from dated and rigid HR policies, modest benefits and compensation, to technology to marketing. I wish they actually had higher expectations of the staff but right now too many people get away with mediocrity, leisurely pace at work (while of course complaining how hard the work is). Bring the client facing work ethic to the back office, please.

Great place, amazing people.

Great place, amazing people. The firm is exceeding minimum standards within the industry and they are always working to set new standards for other firms to follow.

Developed great event planning skills

In the last 8 years at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP, I have developed a range of skills that has allowed me to succeed in meeting the needs of every client. Some of those skills include the ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment, successful time management when faced with high priority tasks, strong organizational skills, prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic environment and high knowledge in the importance of maintaining professional work relationships.

Pros

Great exposure to large on-site events

A terrible place to work and it’s falling apart

This is NOT a good place to work depending on your position and department. I worked as a LSA. The LSA managers and supervisors are awful, and their supervisors are simply clueless. They 100% play favourites and target people they don’t like and bully them into quiting because of how much of a nuisance they are by always creating issues of minor things. Oh and be skeptical of staff who are friends with higher ups and HR. They also ignore rules when it comes to their favourites while arbitrarily punishing those they don’t care for. This is disturbing as these people are ruining people’s chances to advance, receive bonuses, raises, and their overall livelihoods. They’re also cheap and don’t care about loyalty as word has it that they started to let go older staff members who’ve been there for decades. You’re basically walking on eggshells here and also micromanaged. God forbid you’re five minutes and you’ll get a call or email. The management team and HR are so toxic. There is high staff turnover and the frequent job ads should tell you that. Staff coming and going creates instability which also affect the lawyers’ practices, and some of them have taken notice and are frustrated by this especially since shares are just getting bigger and bigger making it hard for assistants to keep up with workload. Lawyers and their asisstants need time to develop a trustworthy relationship, and that is not possible when there’s a toxic management culture where lawyers including partners can’t protect their assistants despite high quality job performance because HR has more power. It also -

Pros

Social events, great view, cutting edge technology, learning sessions to help staff knowledge about tech, spacious half cubicles, helpful coworkers especially reception and events

Cons

Mediocre salary and benefits, low raises and bonuses, terrible management and HR

good experience

Working at Osler, Hoskin and Harcourt LLP is a great experience if you're looking to get that corporate world feel. Lawyers are good, clearly knowledgeable in the industry.

An excelent corporate culture

They are my extended family, we were together for 11 years.I learn my work ethic, to juggle multiple tasks, to work in a team.The culture of the company is to excel but also to work together and care for eachother

Fine place to work - not much room for advancement

Average benefits for a corporate position. Not significant pay for admin staff. Conveniently located. Very professional and corporate workplace culture. Fast-pace, great for self-starters. Management varies by department - can be incredibly supportive. Great opportunity to learn about corporate and legal culture.

Pros

Professional work environment

Cons

no room for advancement.

Successful business with most key employer elements in place

Typical large business organization with traditional legal hierarchy. Long service staff are very loyal. Firm is reviewing operating models and exploring lean business practices.

Pros

Highly regarded by long service staff.

Top Notch Employer

Very good technology and training. Good benefits and perks. Staff and resources are plentiful.Facility is beautiful. Staff are friendly.Highly recommended for someone just starting. Good opportunity to work with the very best lawyers in Canada, the friendliest staff and the very best clients.

Pros

Technology is cutting edge

Cons

Juniors can take senior jobs with less than 1 year of experience

Great place to work!

Professional, client focused and innovative. The firm is very supportive of further education and learning opportunities. I was very impressed by the community support and charitable contributions.

Osler

Typical law firm setting and the environment can be a very pleasant place at times. Most staff members are underpaid Office morale is increasing with the change in HR

Pros

Lots of treat and meals

Cons

Underpaid

Great People - Great Location!

I love working at this firm. The people around me are great and the firm is always trying new things to make the environment better. I feel the only negative thing is that it is hard for someone to advance their career here unless they are working towards becoming lawyers. Other than that... the firm is a great place and I highly recommend it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement