Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP

Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Osler has a lot to be desired, great legal professionals & interesting work. Only problem was Management created a lot of unnecessary office politics and HR encouraged negative gossip & gave unfair & biased treatment.
Pros
Wonderful legal professional group.
Cons
HR Management do not care about staff & created a very competitive culture.
This is a relaxed firm that is expanding and they take care of their employees well. The social events are great and the lawyers and assistants are intelligent.
Great experience. I only left because I needed to pursue a different career goal. Very collaborative workspace and great work life balance. The department I worked at would do well to improve advancement prospects.
Oppressive
Toxic

Management - not very people friendly

People generally friendly but there definitely are cliques who think they know it all

HR needs to be more attentive to staff comments and complaints and suggestions
The culture of the firm is great and the team is very friendly and supportive. The office is located in the heart of the city. I highly recommend working at this firm.
Ils traitent leurs employés (aux petits oignons) très bien.
I am working as a practice assistant for a senior partner and I find it to be very stressful. It is more of a babysitting job than being a legal assistant. Not at all what I expected when I was hired.
Fast-paced high volume work, hierarchy can be oddly strict and no mingling between departments and higher and lower positions; decent perks and benefits, overall a pleasant experience
It’s one of the major law firms in Canada but like all there is a split between lawyers and non lawyers within the firm. I can speak to the support, non lawyer side of the firm. While lawyers are top notch, the support is not. And it shows across all areas, from dated and rigid HR policies, modest benefits and compensation, to technology to marketing. I wish they actually had higher expectations of the staff but right now too many people get away with mediocrity, leisurely pace at work (while of course complaining how hard the work is). Bring the client facing work ethic to the back office, please.
Great place, amazing people.

The firm is exceeding minimum standards within the industry and they are always working to set new standards for other firms to follow.
In the last 8 years at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP, I have developed a range of skills that has allowed me to succeed in meeting the needs of every client. Some of those skills include the ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment, successful time management when faced with high priority tasks, strong organizational skills, prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic environment and high knowledge in the importance of maintaining professional work relationships.
Pros
Great exposure to large on-site events
This is NOT a good place to work depending on your position and department. I worked as a LSA. The LSA managers and supervisors are awful, and their supervisors are simply clueless. They 100% play favourites and target people they don’t like and bully them into quiting because of how much of a nuisance they are by always creating issues of minor things. Oh and be skeptical of staff who are friends with higher ups and HR. They also ignore rules when it comes to their favourites while arbitrarily punishing those they don’t care for. This is disturbing as these people are ruining people’s chances to advance, receive bonuses, raises, and their overall livelihoods. They’re also cheap and don’t care about loyalty as word has it that they started to let go older staff members who’ve been there for decades. You’re basically walking on eggshells here and also micromanaged. God forbid you’re five minutes and you’ll get a call or email.

The management team and HR are so toxic. There is high staff turnover and the frequent job ads should tell you that. Staff coming and going creates instability which also affect the lawyers’ practices, and some of them have taken notice and are frustrated by this especially since shares are just getting bigger and bigger making it hard for assistants to keep up with workload. Lawyers and their asisstants need time to develop a trustworthy relationship, and that is not possible when there’s a toxic management culture where lawyers including partners can’t protect their assistants despite high quality job performance because HR has more power. It also
 - more...
Pros
Social events, great view, cutting edge technology, learning sessions to help staff knowledge about tech, spacious half cubicles, helpful coworkers especially reception and events
Cons
Mediocre salary and benefits, low raises and bonuses, terrible management and HR
Working at Osler, Hoskin and Harcourt LLP is a great experience if you're looking to get that corporate world feel. Lawyers are good, clearly knowledgeable in the industry.
They are my extended family, we were together for 11 years.
I learn my work ethic, to juggle multiple tasks, to work in a team.

The culture of the company is to excel but also to work together and care for eachother
Good to work at. Nice, good people. Fair salary and benefits. Though moved for a better career improvement. To sum it up, was good working with the company.
Average benefits for a corporate position.
Not significant pay for admin staff.

Conveniently located.

Very professional and corporate workplace culture.

Fast-pace, great for self-starters.

Management varies by department - can be incredibly supportive.

Great opportunity to learn about corporate and legal culture.
Pros
Professional work environment
Cons
no room for advancement.
Typical large business organization with traditional legal hierarchy. Long service staff are very loyal. Firm is reviewing operating models and exploring lean business practices.
Pros
Highly regarded by long service staff.
Very good technology and training. Good benefits and perks. Staff and resources are plentiful.Facility is beautiful. Staff are friendly.Highly recommended for someone just starting. Good opportunity to work with the very best lawyers in Canada, the friendliest staff and the very best clients.
Pros
Technology is cutting edge
Cons
Juniors can take senior jobs with less than 1 year of experience
Professional, client focused and innovative. The firm is very supportive of further education and learning opportunities. I was very impressed by the community support and charitable contributions.
Typical law firm setting and the environment can be a very pleasant place at times.
Most staff members are underpaid

Office morale is increasing with the change in HR
Pros
Lots of treat and meals
Cons
Underpaid
I love working at this firm. The people around me are great and the firm is always trying new things to make the environment better. I feel the only negative thing is that it is hard for someone to advance their career here unless they are working towards becoming lawyers. Other than that... the firm is a great place and I highly recommend it.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP. Our community is ready to answer.