OSL Retail Services Inc
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

OSL Retail Services Inc Employee Reviews

Canada340 reviews

Found 340 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,014 reviews

Great team and management very understanding

Featured review

OSL Retail Services Inc selected this as a representative review
10/10 team work 10/10 people skills 10/10 understanding 10/10 benefits and incentives 10/10 company care and flexibility 10/10 higher management 10/10 competitive wages 10/10 opportunity to move up Give it a shot, the grass is greener on this side! :)

17 March 2020
Hey there, we really do believe in our people, and are proud to be one of Canada's Best Managed Companies 3 years running! When we say, “Great people doing greater things, every day" we mean it! Thanks for leaving us a 5-star review!

Good entry sales based job with ok pay but terrible management

Good company to work for if you are a strong sales person. I consistently was able to achieve my targets and made good money. Overtime hours were good as well because of all the turnover. After 2 years I was nearly the longest tenured employee in my region which is never a good sign. Later I was let go for no reason whatsoever despite training the new hires and always achieving the ridiculous sales targets set out by the company. Overall it’s good for the short term if you can sell but don’t expect it to lead into anything worthwhile.

Pros

Half priced cellphone plan Commission based sales Contests from the carriers sometimes

Cons

No job security No opportunity to advance No recognition for sales excellence

Productive and fun workplace

Great company to work for. Management has always been supportive in the success of employees. Coworkers are willing to help. Great training provided ensuring you success in the long run

20 January 2022
Hi there, and thank you so much for sharing your review! It's great to know that you're feeling supported all around and prepared to slay the day with your team. We're glad to have you with us, keep up the awesome work!

Productive and fun place to work

One the best companies I have worked for!!!Very transparent, and a great mix of having fun and getting the job done.Flexible hours and work/life balance was never an issue

14 January 2022
Hello and wow - your review sure left us beaming! Productivity and a work-life balance are essential elements of the environment we strive to foster at OSL. We are truly thrilled to hear this was your experience, thank you so much for taking time to let us know. Wishing you all the best on your next adventure!

Would not recommend

Management was often disrespectful to associates and not understanding of the fact that people in training were not able to learn the job right away. Questions were often met with hostility. Issues that were brought up were resolved in an unprofessional manner (such as being addressed in an aggressive way in the middle of the store within earshot of customers). Management would often abuse their power, such as taking excessively long breaks and expecting employees to stay beyond the end of their shift to cover. What you were told by management in general was very inconsistent.My fellow associates were lovely and the employee discount on phone plans was nice, however. Though there were many rude customers, just as many were very pleasant and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to help people find the best options for them.

Pros

Fellow associates were good, employee discount.

Cons

Management, rude customers

5 January 2022
Hello, thank you for taking time to connect and share your review with us. We're disappointed that the experience you've described doesn't align with what we strive for. Please know we appreciate your feedback and will be reviewing these concerns further. Thank you again, all the best on your next adventure.

Work will become your life.

Good luck having any sort of work life balance. You will be constantly glued to your phone checking the group chats to make sure you're not missing any carrier updates or scheduled meetings. You'll be stuck in meetings on your days off and you'll be working most holidays. Customers can be very nasty and abusive. Very high turnover rate.

Pros

Pay is ok depending on the position.

Cons

No work life balance. Mean customers. Working holidays.

5 January 2022
Hello and thank you for taking time to connect and share your review. It's disappointing to hear that your experience didn't meet expectations. Please know your feedback is heard and very appreciated - we wish you all the best on your next adventure.

Absolute garbage

In this company they offer you no training. The store management is a joke, they lie and trash talk you to prospective employees. They don't care about mental health even though they say they do. And if you call in sick they're mad at you for weeks like children. I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.

Pros

Pays ok

Cons

Management, lack of training, no one cares, under valued

2 December 2021
Hello, and thank you for taking time to connect. We take these concerns seriously and would like to investigate these matters. Could you please send us a copy of your review via email (info@oslrs.com) along with your name and store information? Thank you again, take care.

Great team!

Nice place to work. Professional and management was well run. A fair amount of freedom as long as you were meeting your numbers. Got to meet lots of great people!

30 November 2021
Hi there, and thank you so much for sharing your review! It was awesome reading your shout-outs to the overall environment and management approach - we couldn't agree more that there are so many great people to work with. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know and wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Good place t

Good place to work, if you grind you can make a decent amount of commission. Great for students looking to make good money during classses and good experience

30 November 2021
Hi there, and thank you for taking time to share your review! We're so glad to know you enjoyed your time with OSL and really appreciate your nods to the potential for gaining experience as well as limitless earnings. Thanks again - all the best to you on your next adventure!

If you sell phones or wish to, you will go far

OSL is a company that cares only about phones and phone sales, so if you know how to sell a IP5 SE you will go far. the rest of the job is a joke. it doesn't matter what actual experience you have or interests as ultimately OSL doesn't actually care about the photo-lab or electronic aspects of the job. they really only care about phone sales and focus all company contests and rewards around phone sales and attachments. you can sell over $2000 in tvs to a person/company and you are rewarded for 0 but you sell 1 $120 air pod though the wireless section and you get commissions and pat on the back. walmart generally does not like or want to work with OSL since they view OSL as lazy and pointless who stand around.so if you want to stand around for 8hrs as day doing zip and get a pat on the back and gifts from rogers/telus/ect work for OSL in the wireless don't work for OSL in anything else.

Pros

some staff are great

Cons

walmart treats you like a parasite

1 November 2021
Hi there, thank you for sharing your review with us. It sounds like there's a lot on your mind. We would love the opportunity to connect directly, could you please give us a call (1-877-694-7675) so we can open up that conversation together? Hope to hear from you soon!

Entry level sales

Only Bell could give a 5,000 raise to the base salary and change the compensation plan for commissions the same day and make it worse. Base salary too lowWill not get paid if installer doesn’t get job doneCompensation is wrong frequently Mileage payment too low Management doesn’t follow through on anything but expects you to over achieve each week.

Pros

Good people to work with, good entry level position to get experience

Cons

No leadership, inadequate compensation, slow to get anything done

25 October 2021
Hi there, and thank you for taking time to share your review with us. Although it's disappointing to hear we were not able to meet your expectations, we do appreciate your feedback. Thanks again and all the best on your next adventure!

Ok work environment but very competitive

Unfortunately this company has an issue if you have a health issues. I was upfront with the manager that interviewed me about having an illness and therefore could only work part-time. In the beginning this was not an issue but because of my limitations and when I ending up missing some shifts it became an issue. In the end I was let go because I could not meet their expectations of sales in a small town store that does not have the customer traffic and lacks the proper training to achieve those expectations.

Pros

It was a job

Cons

Shifts were all over the schedule

18 October 2021
Hello and thank you for taking time to connect and share your review. We take these concerns seriously and would appreciate if you're able to please send us an email with your name and store information (info@oslrs.com). Thank you again and we wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Survival Job with decent pay

Took this job for the opportunity to land a survival job in Canada. Pay is decent and provides retail experience. I would not recommend staying for more than six months or a year. Customers are tough to handle, and pay stays the same even after probation period. Good for students and newcomers.

Pros

Decent pay, customer service experience

Cons

Physical work, no growing expectations

27 September 2021
Hello there, thank you for sharing your review! We really appreciate your nods to pay and opportunities. All the best on your next adventure!

Has no respect for employees

Save yourself and run! There are a horrible company to work for. The pay out is not good you have not opportunity to make commissions with the structure that they have

Pros

Cons

Commissions structure is awful

14 September 2021
Hello, thank you for sharing your review with us. We take these concerns seriously and would like to connect directly to better understand the situation and investigate further. Could you please give us a call at 1-877-694-7675? Thank you - we hope to hear from you soon!

Good growth but pay doesnt justify the effort they expect.

Osl is good company to work at. But relationship with retail store they work and with osl is bad in most cases. And in-store management seem to be struggling with it on-going bases. And Dm and other management refuses to do anything and puts everything on in store managers to fixes. Instead of focusing on bigger issue to resolve these issues throughout the district. Plus alot of turnover. District management team is a joke. Too cooperate, pretend to care but dont care and there is 0 work life balance. You are expected to be respond back 24hrs. Even on days off.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Less pay for the amount of effort required.

10 September 2021
Hi there, and thank you for sharing your review with us! It's great to know your overall impression was positive and we also appreciate your insights into where we could focus our efforts to do better. Thank you again for your time and feedback, and all the best on your next adventure!

Environnemen nocif

Suivi des activités par une tablette au 15 minutes

Pros

Aucun

Cons

Suivi constant

30 August 2021
Bonjour, et merci d'avoir pris le temps de partager votre avis. Nous sommes désolés d'apprendre votre expérience et nous allons examiner ces questions de plus près. Merci encore!

Terrible place

I worked with OSL from June to august and when I quit I ran. I was told it was a full time position however always left with only 29 hours per week. If the store has no gift card offers on phones customers don’t want a device but the company will write you up if your not selling. When you work for OSL your also working in the electronics department constantly paging Walmart associates to return to the department, answering questions from Walmart shoppers not regarding cell phones constantly etc. be prepared to be a Walmart employee even though your not. OSL mentions serious income potential but it’s only a potential and not a guarantee. You get pushed around from upper management and when you stand up for yourself you get ignored. They force you to work overtime and say “ tough luck” when you refuse. I highly recommend staying away from this place.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, bad hours

20 August 2021
Hello there, and thank you for taking time to connect. We're very much disappointed to hear about the experience you've described. Please know that we take these concerns seriously and will be investigating these matters further. Take care and all the best to you on your next adventure!

Engaging and Rewarding experience

A relatively simple job, very fun and enjoyable. Consists of the assembly of bicycles, tricycles, BBQ's, and more. You will work alone so I personally suggest a set of ear buds aswell as some snacks before your shift begins to make it go by quicker.

Pros

Friensly environment, and close to lots of lunch options

9 August 2021
Hey there, and thank you for adding such a great review to your assembly line! We're really thrilled to hear you're finding your place in our #OSLFamily rewarding, fun and overall super enjoyable. Your tips to stay amped on the job are also appreciated (sharing the pro insights reads to us as though you're out to support fellow teammates - love it!). All this to say, we're so glad to have you with us and keep up the awesome work!

Convenient at times, local teams are good.

Not a great place to work long term. Management make a lot of promises in terms of upward promotions in the company that can be realized, they make these promises to everyone and their is no recourse from upper management about this which obviously breeds resentment. Upper management also will not stand up for you diifficult situations involving health hazards/refusing dangerous situations.

Pros

Cell phone discount

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement, non-existent HR department, difficult to get full time hours

22 July 2021
Hello, and thank you for connecting. We take these concerns seriously and would greatly appreciate if you could please send us an email to info@oslrs.com as soon as possible. Thank you again, we hope to hear from you soon!

Poorly managed, poor attitude and petty

The summary really says it all. Management can’t handle disputes without causing a ruckus on the sales floor in front of customers. There is no office where you can privately discuss professional matters. They have an obvious sense of superiority to the point of them constantly feeling the need to talk down to you and threaten your job status. They have no sense of leadership and responsibility which is made especially apparent through their lack of communication. If you aren’t feeling well or can’t make it in to your shift; any other job in the world would be understanding and find coverage for you and your shift and downplay it as no big deal. Not with this company. They require you to ask literally everyone you work with if they can cover your shift, you know, doing the work the manager is supposed to do. Extremely unprofessional from the very beginning right until the very end. Not a very good job experience but I guess that is the retail experience. I just didn’t expect it from both sides of the counter.

Pros

Small discount

Cons

Too many to list

22 July 2021
Hi there, thank you for taking time to connect. It's truly disappointing that your experience doesn't seem to have matched expectations all around. We appreciate the concerns you've noted, please know that they are heard and being taken seriously. Thank you again and we wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Experience

Honestly, great job to get sales experience and customer service experience... The Pay is good because of the commission and a lot of the coworkers you will have are awesome. But management is poor, they really don't care they just want numbers which is fair because that's how a business but overall management kind of needs a rework cause very unhealthy environments to work in because of the negativity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSL Retail Services Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6