OSL Retail Services Inc Employee Reviews

Great workplace with an amazing culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  St Catharines4 October 2018
I have worked with OSL since 2014 and I honestly can say that it is one of the best companies I have worked for. My district has an amazing culture and everyone helps each other out. There has been lots of room for growth in just the time I have been with OSL and still continues to grow very quickly. I also love getting to work with the newest phones and technology.
Pros
People, Culture, Management, Discounts, Benefits
Cons
Sometimes short staff
29 October 2018

Hey there! Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear your experience with the team is a positive one!

Potential To be great..
Walmart Wireless Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON7 August 2018
My time with OSL was fantastic despite many negative experiences. You gain experience in sales, wireless knowledge and have the ability to create your own salary with their commission based pay. However, near the end of my time with the company hours had been cut, pay raises were few and far between and I was stuck with a manager who was never held accountable for his short-comings.

Focus on yourself and don't allow them to have you do more than your job title describes or you'll find yourself stuff in a sales position and salary doing the managers work.
Pros
Commission, benefits, wireless discounts
Cons
bad hours, poor management, poor pay increase
Amazing culture, opportunity for growth & development, fantastic team atmosphere!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 September 2018
OSL's motto is "Great people, doing great things, every day" and that really captures the company vision. This company truly cares about people and wants to see them succeed. It's not just a job, you want to come to work every day and reach your potential. The associates, managers and upper management are great people who support each other and work as a large team.
If you want a job full of opportunity, learning, growth potential, networking, perks, awesome people and an incredible culture - join OSL!
Pros
Culture, perks, commission, growth opportunities
Best culture ive seen, great workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 September 2018
The osl culture is one of the best culture ive seen in a workplace, when the managing partner is talking to you as a colleague vs your boss it means everything, from ceo to director its all partnership and growth. Your feedback is listen too and you feel appreciated.
Pros
Great work culture and a lot of advancement
27 September 2018

Hey there, thanks for all the positive vibes! We're glad you're having such an awesome experience with us. Keep up the good work!

Productive And Fun Place To Work
Talent Acquisition Specialist, North America (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2018
I recently joined the OSL family in the recruitment team and it is the best company I have ever worked for. Great management, great team and I enjoy coming into work. We need more organizations like this today.
Pros
Free cakes, trips, snacks and a positive atmosphere to work and grow your career.
Cons
My goal was to eat healthy when I joined the company, but that is not going to happen as there's so much food around you all the time.
24 December 2018

Hey there. Thanks for leaving us a review, we appreciate your feedback and are glad you're having an awesome time with us so far. Welcome to the team!

Its a decent workplace
Walmart Wireless Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC6 December 2018
You spend the majority of your day talking to passing customers trying to reel them in for either a new phone or just to see if they have the best plan for them.
The slow days are pretty painful and tend to drag on. There are a lot of slow days (depends on location)
Pros
Great management and friendly staff. Benefits like dental, medical etc.
Cons
Lots of slow days
10 December 2018

Hey there! Thanks for leaving us a review. We appreciate your feedback!

Great Place to Work.
Awesome commission.
Good Managers.
Perfect Locations.
Supporting culture.
Pros
Good Salary, Good Commission.
Cons
Long Hours, Stand Full Shift Hours
Poor Management within higher levels
Wireless Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2018
At the store front work can be very engaging and fun. Both the customers and co-workers can create a very positive working environment. Upper lever management is not only stunting on their employees careers, they promote a sales do or die mentality and often don't follow labour laws. I was personally instructed to fire 3 associates all of which were past their probationary period and did not have nearly sufficient enough documentation or coaching to justify termination.
Pros
Discount Program
Cons
Upper level management
Great career growth opportunity
Retail Services OSL Wireless Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB20 July 2018
Was a great opportunity career wise and I a substantial
learning curve. However there was no work life balance and with a young family, this was a crucial period for me to be with my children.

It is essentially a young company with unlimited potential, but required some ground work and challenged to be addressed before staff can shine.
Nice company to work with
Marketing Associate of Bell Canada Enterprises (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 August 2018
Nice company to work with. Pay is little less. Otherwise management is very good. Timely payment, full support from company. Growth is little slow, if you work good then job security is there.
Not terrible, but also NOT a career path
Associate (Former Employee) –  BC19 March 2018
OSL on a whole is a pretty "ok" company. I have given this review a similar star rating as what I was given, based on MY observations of said company.

As a company, it was OK. My advice to anyone considering this as your next place of employment is to talk to a rep when there's NO manager around. Get a feel for the store you are hoping to get hired at and ask the WALMART staff how friendly the OSL staff are.

Things to also consider:

This isn't a company that will allow for career growth internally. You'll get smoke and mirrors at best. You lso WILL NOT get a raise. Period! If you want more, you have to sell more. Make sure you negotiate the best hourly rate you can ON THE INTERVIEW!! Being told that I had "topped out" was the point where I just gave up. Why strive for something if you knew it won't make one inch of difference?

Summary:

If you like not doing much and want to work inside walmart... it's not bad. Just don't expect more than that. It's a job.
Pros
Hard to get fired. 50% discount on plans.
Cons
Micromanagement of EVERYTHING, Little to no trust or respect for sales associates, Managers reap ALL the rewards and bonuses
Interactive and lots of valuable information
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St.Catharines4 October 2018
In this position you are do a lot of learning with regards to the different aspects of phones such as the technology, the carriers, & their plans. Management is really good, understanding, and help is always given when sought after. As just a sales rep, the pay could be a little better but some of the extra commission can help.
Pros
Good discount, always knowing the best deals about phones, great work environment
Cons
High expectations early, minimum wage, can be boring/slow at times
29 October 2018

Hey there! Thank you for leaving such a detailed review for us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sharing this with the team.

Best entry-level job for the money, some pressure to meet sales quota.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 July 2018
Since this job pays minimum wage and commission on top of that, it's probably the best one may find in terms of a first job that pays well. It also gave me great sales experience and some other transferable skills. My manager was a little rough in terms of coaching methods, so the workplace always had a bit of undue pressure on me and I feel that it hindered my performance, but if you can get yourself a manager that knows how to be informative instead of intimidating, you can excel. That being said, upper management has never been what I consider to be unreasonable, and are always very clear in their expectations and helpful in teaching their associates how to meet those expectations.
Pros
great pay, great sales experience
Cons
stressful workplace
Decent Company to work for
Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 March 2018
It’s a nice company to work for in terms of coworkers, managers, District Managers etc. I made good friends with my direct manager and coworkers. Not to mention my District Manager was quite the woman. However, there is drama if you dont get along with your direct manager. Also Walmart employees/managers are not very respectful of OSL presence, which makes it quite hard for employees to co-exist in a workplace. Nevertheless, its a great place to develop sales skills. Also the manager in a store really matters, they are the reflection of the associates and ultimately hold the key to associates happiness.
Pros
work culture, sales incentives, coworkers
Cons
Management, commission, politics
Grunt work at best.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 May 2018
Was hired on for a Samsung contract. Was contacted 2 days prior to it beginning to be asked if I could work a bike program instead due to the Samsung contract being put on hold. Not only was I poorly trained. I was injured by faulty equipment and they seemed to joke more than being concerned. Was told after signing contract I was not only assembling bikes. But all of seasonal equipment and had to do it in double time speed due to prior staff quitting. Work was double, triple.checked. felt like I was being babysat everyday while working. Couldn't even go for a snack or bathroom break without being off the clock.

Shady management. Super shady.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Only good for experience
Wireless Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2018
Targets can be insanely hard to hit, you're stationed in a Walmart which means you're dealing with extremely rude customers on a daily basis. I've never once seen anyone get a raise at my current. A full time position with them except to only see 30hours a week unless it's around Xmas, back to school, boxing day etc. Benefits are awful but cheap, you do get 50 percent off your phone bill which is nice. Most stores only have 3 staff members so good luck getting days off that you want.
Computers are extremely slow with even worse internet speeds.
Fantastic company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 April 2018
OSL is a great company that cares about its people. Hours can be long during sale seasons but that should be understood considering the retail enviroment. OSL strives to advance our technology used in the stores to improve efficiency so we can focus on bringing in sales instead of operations.
Pros
Not Micro managed, Company cares about management, OSL continues to grow
Cons
Little Advancement
Fun team, poor company
Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB31 January 2018
Worked with a great team! Always helped each other to reach targets. A lot of fun outside of work with my manager and colleague.

Worked in a very quiet location so not always able to take advantage of commission but rate is good if you make a lot of sales. ($15 to activate a phone line for example)

Not good workplace culture. Alot of politics and no encouragement for advancement. Instead of giving internal associates with experience and loyalty to company an opportunity to move up, the district managers would rather hire external candidates with little or no experience.

Hardest part, there wasn't one and the most enjoyable was definitely the team.
Pros
Good Team, Commission can be good
Cons
Poor security, no constant hours, bad middle/upper mangement
Great
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 October 2018
Great work atmosphere. Competitive pay. Great training. Leadership qorks with employees to make sure everyone succeeds. Lots of stores to work withing if you wanted more hours.
29 October 2018

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your OSL experience with us!

OSL Bike Crew - Best experience ever
Bike Crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2018
Extremely great company to work with! Working on the bikes are a lot of fun, especially communicating with the customers about the bike brands, the models and how they work, and building certain bikes for the customers upon request. The workers are really friendly as well, especially my manager! Getting there and back by bus is a piece of cake too! The only cons is that some days the bike racks are already full, or when they get full, the day is done. There are times where I work under 3 hours due to the racks being full already, therefore meaning minimal hours with no pay. But at the end of the day, experience is all that counts!
Pros
Tools provided to build, bus transportation
Cons
Minimal hours if bikes are already full

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSL Retail Services Inc. Our community is ready to answer.