OSL Retail Services Inc

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Great team and management very understanding

Featured review

OSL Retail Services Inc selected this as a representative review
10/10 team work 10/10 people skills 10/10 understanding 10/10 benefits and incentives 10/10 company care and flexibility 10/10 higher management 10/10 competitive wages 10/10 opportunity to move up Give it a shot, the grass is greener on this side! :)

17 March 2020
Hey there, we really do believe in our people, and are proud to be one of Canada's Best Managed Companies 3 years running! When we say, “Great people doing greater things, every day" we mean it! Thanks for leaving us a 5-star review!

Absolute garbage

In this company they offer you no training. The store management is a joke, they lie and trash talk you to prospective employees. They don't care about mental health even though they say they do. And if you call in sick they're mad at you for weeks like children. I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.

Pros

Pays ok

Cons

Management, lack of training, no one cares, under valued

2 December 2021
Hello, and thank you for taking time to connect. We take these concerns seriously and would like to investigate these matters. Could you please send us a copy of your review via email (info@oslrs.com) along with your name and store information? Thank you again, take care.

Great team!

Nice place to work. Professional and management was well run. A fair amount of freedom as long as you were meeting your numbers. Got to meet lots of great people!

30 November 2021
Hi there, and thank you so much for sharing your review! It was awesome reading your shout-outs to the overall environment and management approach - we couldn't agree more that there are so many great people to work with. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know and wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Good place t

Good place to work, if you grind you can make a decent amount of commission. Great for students looking to make good money during classses and good experience

30 November 2021
Hi there, and thank you for taking time to share your review! We're so glad to know you enjoyed your time with OSL and really appreciate your nods to the potential for gaining experience as well as limitless earnings. Thanks again - all the best to you on your next adventure!

If you sell phones or wish to, you will go far

OSL is a company that cares only about phones and phone sales, so if you know how to sell a IP5 SE you will go far. the rest of the job is a joke. it doesn't matter what actual experience you have or interests as ultimately OSL doesn't actually care about the photo-lab or electronic aspects of the job. they really only care about phone sales and focus all company contests and rewards around phone sales and attachments. you can sell over $2000 in tvs to a person/company and you are rewarded for 0 but you sell 1 $120 air pod though the wireless section and you get commissions and pat on the back. walmart generally does not like or want to work with OSL since they view OSL as lazy and pointless who stand around.so if you want to stand around for 8hrs as day doing zip and get a pat on the back and gifts from rogers/telus/ect work for OSL in the wireless don't work for OSL in anything else.

Pros

some staff are great

Cons

walmart treats you like a parasite

1 November 2021
Hi there, thank you for sharing your review with us. It sounds like there's a lot on your mind. We would love the opportunity to connect directly, could you please give us a call (1-877-694-7675) so we can open up that conversation together? Hope to hear from you soon!

Entry level sales

Only Bell could give a 5,000 raise to the base salary and change the compensation plan for commissions the same day and make it worse. Base salary too lowWill not get paid if installer doesn’t get job doneCompensation is wrong frequently Mileage payment too low Management doesn’t follow through on anything but expects you to over achieve each week.

Pros

Good people to work with, good entry level position to get experience

Cons

No leadership, inadequate compensation, slow to get anything done

25 October 2021
Hi there, and thank you for taking time to share your review with us. Although it's disappointing to hear we were not able to meet your expectations, we do appreciate your feedback. Thanks again and all the best on your next adventure!

Ok work environment but very competitive

Unfortunately this company has an issue if you have a health issues. I was upfront with the manager that interviewed me about having an illness and therefore could only work part-time. In the beginning this was not an issue but because of my limitations and when I ending up missing some shifts it became an issue. In the end I was let go because I could not meet their expectations of sales in a small town store that does not have the customer traffic and lacks the proper training to achieve those expectations.

Pros

It was a job

Cons

Shifts were all over the schedule

18 October 2021
Hello and thank you for taking time to connect and share your review. We take these concerns seriously and would appreciate if you're able to please send us an email with your name and store information (info@oslrs.com). Thank you again and we wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Survival Job with decent pay

Took this job for the opportunity to land a survival job in Canada. Pay is decent and provides retail experience. I would not recommend staying for more than six months or a year. Customers are tough to handle, and pay stays the same even after probation period. Good for students and newcomers.

Pros

Decent pay, customer service experience

Cons

Physical work, no growing expectations

27 September 2021
Hello there, thank you for sharing your review! We really appreciate your nods to pay and opportunities. All the best on your next adventure!

Has no respect for employees

Save yourself and run! There are a horrible company to work for. The pay out is not good you have not opportunity to make commissions with the structure that they have

Pros

Cons

Commissions structure is awful

14 September 2021
Hello, thank you for sharing your review with us. We take these concerns seriously and would like to connect directly to better understand the situation and investigate further. Could you please give us a call at 1-877-694-7675? Thank you - we hope to hear from you soon!

Good growth but pay doesnt justify the effort they expect.

Osl is good company to work at. But relationship with retail store they work and with osl is bad in most cases. And in-store management seem to be struggling with it on-going bases. And Dm and other management refuses to do anything and puts everything on in store managers to fixes. Instead of focusing on bigger issue to resolve these issues throughout the district. Plus alot of turnover. District management team is a joke. Too cooperate, pretend to care but dont care and there is 0 work life balance. You are expected to be respond back 24hrs. Even on days off.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Less pay for the amount of effort required.

10 September 2021
Hi there, and thank you for sharing your review with us! It's great to know your overall impression was positive and we also appreciate your insights into where we could focus our efforts to do better. Thank you again for your time and feedback, and all the best on your next adventure!

Environnemen nocif

Suivi des activités par une tablette au 15 minutes

Pros

Aucun

Cons

Suivi constant

30 August 2021
Bonjour, et merci d'avoir pris le temps de partager votre avis. Nous sommes désolés d'apprendre votre expérience et nous allons examiner ces questions de plus près. Merci encore!

Terrible place

I worked with OSL from June to august and when I quit I ran. I was told it was a full time position however always left with only 29 hours per week. If the store has no gift card offers on phones customers don’t want a device but the company will write you up if your not selling. When you work for OSL your also working in the electronics department constantly paging Walmart associates to return to the department, answering questions from Walmart shoppers not regarding cell phones constantly etc. be prepared to be a Walmart employee even though your not. OSL mentions serious income potential but it’s only a potential and not a guarantee. You get pushed around from upper management and when you stand up for yourself you get ignored. They force you to work overtime and say “ tough luck” when you refuse. I highly recommend staying away from this place.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, bad hours

20 August 2021
Hello there, and thank you for taking time to connect. We're very much disappointed to hear about the experience you've described. Please know that we take these concerns seriously and will be investigating these matters further. Take care and all the best to you on your next adventure!

Engaging and Rewarding experience

A relatively simple job, very fun and enjoyable. Consists of the assembly of bicycles, tricycles, BBQ's, and more. You will work alone so I personally suggest a set of ear buds aswell as some snacks before your shift begins to make it go by quicker.

Pros

Friensly environment, and close to lots of lunch options

9 August 2021
Hey there, and thank you for adding such a great review to your assembly line! We're really thrilled to hear you're finding your place in our #OSLFamily rewarding, fun and overall super enjoyable. Your tips to stay amped on the job are also appreciated (sharing the pro insights reads to us as though you're out to support fellow teammates - love it!). All this to say, we're so glad to have you with us and keep up the awesome work!

Convenient at times, local teams are good.

Not a great place to work long term. Management make a lot of promises in terms of upward promotions in the company that can be realized, they make these promises to everyone and their is no recourse from upper management about this which obviously breeds resentment. Upper management also will not stand up for you diifficult situations involving health hazards/refusing dangerous situations.

Pros

Cell phone discount

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement, non-existent HR department, difficult to get full time hours

22 July 2021
Hello, and thank you for connecting. We take these concerns seriously and would greatly appreciate if you could please send us an email to info@oslrs.com as soon as possible. Thank you again, we hope to hear from you soon!

Poorly managed, poor attitude and petty

The summary really says it all. Management can’t handle disputes without causing a ruckus on the sales floor in front of customers. There is no office where you can privately discuss professional matters. They have an obvious sense of superiority to the point of them constantly feeling the need to talk down to you and threaten your job status. They have no sense of leadership and responsibility which is made especially apparent through their lack of communication. If you aren’t feeling well or can’t make it in to your shift; any other job in the world would be understanding and find coverage for you and your shift and downplay it as no big deal. Not with this company. They require you to ask literally everyone you work with if they can cover your shift, you know, doing the work the manager is supposed to do. Extremely unprofessional from the very beginning right until the very end. Not a very good job experience but I guess that is the retail experience. I just didn’t expect it from both sides of the counter.

Pros

Small discount

Cons

Too many to list

22 July 2021
Hi there, thank you for taking time to connect. It's truly disappointing that your experience doesn't seem to have matched expectations all around. We appreciate the concerns you've noted, please know that they are heard and being taken seriously. Thank you again and we wish you all the best on your next adventure!

Experience

Honestly, great job to get sales experience and customer service experience... The Pay is good because of the commission and a lot of the coworkers you will have are awesome. But management is poor, they really don't care they just want numbers which is fair because that's how a business but overall management kind of needs a rework cause very unhealthy environments to work in because of the negativity

Zero training and very long hours

Osl pays the least commission of any cell phone company all while also having the highest sales targets which they will also remind you to push 10 times a day even when you are in a lockdown and they express the feeing that “sales don’t matter” you get 0 training for your job and are overworked and expected to work extra (up to 70 hours a week) while not getting paid anything past 40 hours, stay far away

Pros

Discount on phone plan

Cons

No training, terrible management and long hours

9 July 2021
Hello, thank you for sharing your review with us. Although our pay structure (base pay + commission) is competitive, we are very disappointed to hear that your experience did not otherwise meet expectations. Please know that we take these concerns seriously and will be looking into these matters. Thank you again, and all the best on your next adventure!

Environnement malsain , trop de pression

Si vous ne faites pas de vente , vous ne valez rien .

Pros

Bonne assurance maladie après 3 mois

Cons

Super stressant

20 May 2021
Bonjour, merci de nous avoir écrit. OSL est une entreprise axée sur les personnes et nous sommes vraiment déçus d'apprendre que vous avez vécu une expérience comme ça. Nous vous souhaitons le meilleur.

Poor all around

OSL with almost every program lacks proper job training, provides poor leadership, and is no where near close to competitive in regards to pay and reimbursement. The wireless program has the worst commission payout of any banner, and the bell field sales program pays out every 2 weeks on a graduated commission structure, making it next to impossible to achieve the top multiplier. If you can manage to overlook all this, the on boarding process is pain as there seems to be a clear lack of communication between the program supervisors and the recruitment team. There is a reason the programs have such a high turnover and are constantly hiring. This is a good company for you if you don’t care and just want to rock up and get paid. Don’t expect to be taught any transferable skills.

Pros

Discounted services (offered by any provider you work for)

Cons

Lack of training, lack of leadership, poor pay

18 May 2021
Hi there and thanks for connecting. We believe OSL is a people-driven place supported by great opportunities and teamwork - it's truly disappointing to hear this was not your experience. Your feedback and insights are appreciated and we wish you all the best on your next adventure.

They look out for their employees

I cannot be more grateful to OSL when the Covid-19 pandemic hit as they kept us in payroll for several months until they figured out a temporary assignment . They increased our base salary and we were fairly paid while working from home .Great managers , great support from team mates .

Pros

Take care of their employees, Fair pay, fun environment

Cons

Too much hiring and firing .

23 April 2021
Hi there and thank you SO much - we sure do love to see those 5 stars! Your shout-out about pay is awesome and we especially get all the feels from your mention of the support you had all around - this is truly what the #OSLFamily is about. All the best to you on your next adventure!

A clear Example of toxic work environment

My experience backs to Samsung sales store in metrotown. Not only there was no proper training but also you are blamed in case of asking questions. The culture of the store is the clear example of toxic work environment with lots of humiliation and bullyingsDo not even try to work here, believed me

Pros

good wage

Cons

Poor Management, No training, toxic work environment, bullying, humiliations

14 April 2021
Hello and thank you so much for taking time to connect with us. We're quite concerned about the experience described in your review and would appreciate hearing from you directly so we can investigate these matters further. Could you please send us an email to info@oslrs.com? Thank you again - we hope to hear from you soon!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSL Retail Services Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement