Orkin Employee Reviews

Interesting career
Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 July 2019
Different world of rodents and insects lol.
Lots to learn and your always learning which is a good thing.
Not for everyone. For a different breed of person. Your always hunting and detecting you'll never be out of work. A good crew of managers and work mates.
Pros
You're always out and about
Cons
Can be long hours up to you
Good Place to work
Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT13 March 2019
Management is great
Wages are competitive
great place to work
the ability to be able to work independently
Getting to know your pests is a great asset
awesome if your self motivated
Sales and Pest Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2019
awesome if your self motivated
Rodent and insect knowledge is a must
must be bondable
clean driving record will be need
office staff are very easy to work with
continuing education is on going
good benefits
Pros
make your own hours and work truck
No work/life/balance. High expectations/Low pay
Sales and Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 December 2018
Extermination is unfortunately, a mostly unrewarding career. Very physical, technical, and professional job that few people respect the difficulty of. Also a very dangerous and uncomfortable job considering the chemicals you use and their legal implications. Do not forget you are dealing with mice, wasps, ants, rats, cockroaches and more. Infestations and grumpy customers as well. You are a jack of all trades; Sales meetings, applying pesticides, light construction work, you do it all. While you are offered significant independence, it often feels like you are running the entire company remotely. You are frequently expected to work long or split days on short notice to accommodate customers' schedules. The random nature of this work can take a serious toll on personal life. Management are great people, but most are just waiting to retire and pass on problems. Additionally you are charged $120/month for the truck and there is no yard to park it. Total waste of money because no one wants/needs a 2 seat light truck with pest control decals all over it. Mine didn't even have power mirrors or winter tires.

Pay is also not competitive. Base pay is $600/week + commission to start. Raises were below rate of inflation, which meant I would virtually never reach max wage. As for commission, this is highly dependent on the types of customers you are assigned and how far away they are. Commission can change drastically with route reorganization like mine did. I saw annual income drop by nearly 20% when this happened. I was rarely able to make more than $500/month in commission on average.
  more... All said and done I was making Orkin almost $200,000 and taking home about $38,000.

Bottom line: For between $600/week and about $40,000/year, there are much less stressful and consistent jobs. For those who cannot rely on less than that, commission can be very detrimental. It changes from an incentive program to a burden when you rely on an extra couple of commission dollars to cover rent. Orkin is not alone here though, many of its competitors are the same. Until this industry can provide consistent expectations, times of work, and income, it will not be competitive with other lines of work. I
Pros
Management and office staff are genuinely good people
Cons
Too many to list
Hard work and ridiculous expectations, for low pay.
Sales/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, Ontario24 November 2018
Pay structure is set up so that only a few will be rewarded for their hard work. New hires are often paid more than Employees that have been with the company for many years. Management lacks Integrity, as it is up to management to ensure Employees are paid what they are worth. If you are very good at what you do, don't expect this company to reward you. Look elsewhere.
Pros
Truck and phone
Cons
Pay structures not consistent
Office bully impedes training
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 November 2018
Excellent opportunity to learn about all kinds of pests and pest control. Easy to learn software - if given the time and training. Kelowna has office bully that impedes the training process.
Benefits
Cons
putting up with office bully
autonomous work environment
SALES & SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 November 2018
rewarding work. good benefits and compensation package for motivated individuals. in addition, company vehicle for work and personal use for a modest sum.
Pros
company vehicle
Fun and great workplace
customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2018
I loved working at Orkin Canada because of all the nice employees and the work environment. The company allowed me to work here for my cooperative education and I loved the experience here.
Pros
The nice employees
Cons
Overall a great place to work
K9 handler (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2018
I have been with Orkin for a little over 3 years now. I was with my previous employer just over 7 years. I see no reason why I would not remain here for at least that and more!

While there were some bumps and challenges to start with, (all jobs have these to be fair) it has been a rewarding experience. I love jobs where I work directly with the public and make a real difference in their lives. Some days are physically and mentally tough and long but worth it when you see how happy people are with your service.

Individual branches can have very different work environments. At my first location, in the beginning, management was scrambling at times regarding employee retention but more supportive/steady as of late. Issues with new staff training appears to have been resolved.

Very diverse working environment and supportive of this diversity. Many women in both tech and management positions. Great benefits. Flexible with excellent work/life balance. Wage is competitive. Lots of room for advancement to mid-level management should you wish to.

I work in a highly specialized role within the company and cannot see ever leaving here. Many individuals have worked 25 years or more in my branch alone and it is common in many branches across the country. That tells you something!
Pros
Make your own schedule and use of company vehicle
Cons
Physically demanding at times
Orkin is a revolving door
Branch Manager Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2018
Poor managers most come up in the ranks, its a company that is really well designed one of the best models I have ever seen, in their structure and way of doing business they are world leaders but just missing top management and mid management. I learned so much just hate the internal politics. It can make a good career if you stay a Tech, don't go into management.
Everyday is Different, Helping People
Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 February 2018
A typical day is going place to place and helping customers with Pest problems. Learned not only the Technical side with Chemicals but customer interaction and customer service.
Lots of work for not so much pay
Pest Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2018
This job can be really fun and also complete torture.
If you have a family and are trying to make some good money you either have to choose your family or lots of extra hours to get a decent pay. The job sounds a lot better then it really is...
Great summer work for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON26 January 2018
Working as a CSR at Orkin Canada was a great learning experience. The other CSRs, technicians, and management all work together to achieve the best results for their customers. The work environment was one that was helpful and supportive.
Fun but very unorganized!
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2017
Very unorganized! Not even the managers know what’s going on if you had a question about the customers who owe them money. needs better organizational skills!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lack of knowledge
Great company to work for
Residential/Commercial tech (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON22 December 2017
Service industry in general can be challenging and pest control is no exception. Some of the finest people I have ever known work here. When times are tough during the busy season you may not get the support you want as fast as you want but I assure you that it is not without reason. The managers down to the front line staff are people, and as a result are dealing with the exact same stress in their own way. When things slow down they (management and fellow front liners) are extremely empathic and friendly, we are all at war with pests after all. If you do your best until winter (still busy but not crazy lol) your team will shine from manager to tech. For a big employer it has a LOT of heart if you have the patience to see it.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
Slow tech adoption aka paperwork
Did that
Sales and Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
I love my job & the company I work for. I work independently, planning, scheduling and servicing my route. I am well paid and have many benefits to enjoy. What I need , is to move from this city & my company has no place for me in the city I want to move to. I will try to be patient for an opening but at the same time exploring other companies offers.Too expensive to have to live in two cities.
A few experience
Pest Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2017
I am working in the company just three months, so I can not describe any thing about it. but I have learned some experience in both daily working and management.
Do mot trust
Branch Manager Toronto Downtown (Former Employee) –  toronto downtown9 March 2017
Can not be trusted. with responsibilities within your buisness.. Let's face it . Orkin accounts have e pests.They depend upon poor service to push the clients to purchase additional services.
find a provider who is legit. ....
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
poor operations. runs off the cuff
Fun work place
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2017
Very friendly staff and supportive
Lots of learning curves and challenging...
learned about many different pests - and how to treat them ... talked to a lot different people and really enjoyed
Pros
Very supportive
Cons
Not enough wirk
Job responsibilities are fair but poor management practices
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2017
Execellent work performance and proper work ethics are NOT acknowledged and appreciated but work politics and gossips are. Intelligent and honest employees don't stay long or were mostly forced to resign or terminated due to unfair causes. HR is supposed to be neutral between management and employees but instead it is a puppet to management wishes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orkin. Our community is ready to answer.