Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 October 2018
Medium sized community general hospital in central Ontario. The hospital strives to provide excellent patient care across many inpatient and outpatient programs. Provides competitve salaries and benefits to all staff.
Pros
Competitive salaries and benefits
Cons
budgetary constraints
Great place to work!
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 August 2018
Worked there quite a few years ago. Doctors and staff were friendly and approachable. Work days were very busy but enjoyable. Position that I was in became redundant.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
None that come to mind
Great workplace to get loads of experience
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 July 2018
I would really recommend this hospital for work/life balance. The leaders are very approachable and you get to do a lot more than you can elsewhere. This can give you an amazing amount of experience in a short amount of time. The only thing was, for a project-based position, there was a lack of job security.
Pros
People, culture, location
Cons
Salary
Excellent!
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 September 2017
The team culture is very very solid. We would go out every week and have a great time at lunch. Job requirements were fair and all upper management were amazing people. Highly recommend!
Very Stressful
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 April 2017
The Hospital is understaffed. Hours are long with the acuity increasing in severity with no help from management or staffing. Low morale at times. More help from the government would be helpful.
Friendly environment
Coomunications Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 April 2017
My employment at Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital has given a wide variety of patents/clients/family members to help navigate throughout the hospital system and has definitely improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Friendly staff
Positive family-like environment! Patient-first thinking that works
RN (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON1 December 2016
Positive engaging small-town hospital void of the many beurocratic policies and procedures that so often entrench forward thinking in bigger centres. Have an idea? Bring it forward - affecting change is but a few and productive policy development strategies away - how engaging to the front line workers!
Wonderful environment!
If you're looking for a place to dig your heels in and develop your ideas and be a part of a forward thinking (and moving) team - come aboard! You will not be disappointed.
I almost forgot to mention, everyone smiles. Everyone. The CEO is present and engaged, as is everyone else. It's delightful!
Pros
Environment, team
Cons
Limited career development opportunities - small centre
Awesome experience
Electrical Maintenance (Highschool CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON25 February 2016
The staff in the maint. department are like a family. these guys took me under their wing and exposed me to the real word. This is where I gained my aspiration to become an electrician!
overall great workplace
Co-Op Placement (Former Employee) –  Orillia On8 October 2015
This was great workplace considering I was just a high school student performing a co-op placement. the atmosphere was friendly as well as the people I could see myself working here in the future may it be apprenticing or as a full time career.
Pros
friends, learnig expeirence
Cons
long drive
It is all about the team
Housekeeping Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON4 October 2015
The hours are good and the team welcomes new additions with open arms. Training is not bad and you get all you need to do your job well.
A great learning experience
OTA & PTA Georgian College Student (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 May 2015
I learned soo much from the rehabilitation team at OSMH. I was fortunate to have 2 placements there and worked all over the department. I would love to work there in the future!
Pros
The variety of people you meant and the lives you change
Cons
job security
great place and super staff
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 March 2015
Arriving at work on a day shift, it is 5:30 am, completing shift change with previous guard. Than heading out starting the day and not knowing what calls could come across the radio for you to respond to. The co-workers that rotate shifts are great, and can always rely on them for back-up. My management are great and understanding. I would say the hardest part of my job is when certain situations arise that deal with the death of a person. And I have always enjoyed my job, where I feel totally satisfied when I can assist people when needed and they are happy with the outcome.
Pros
fantastic supervisors
Cons
shift work, and working outside in all weather conditions
fun and interesting volunteer placement
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 September 2014
- other volunteers are very friendly and kind

- learned a lot about patient care and service

- can be extremely busy at the volunteer desk
Pros
free coffee and tea
Cons
very hot in the office come summertime
Informative and Helpful Placement
Medical Laboratory Assistant/ Placement (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON11 August 2014
I was fortunate enough to complete my recent, month long placement at Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital during which I was responsible for providing excellent customer care, ensuring safe, accurate and efficient collection of patient specimens, phlebotomy, ECG’s and ensuring safe preparation and transportation of the specimens to the laboratory. I had the opportunity to perform blood draws on over 10 patients every day (giving me a total of 250+) in a variety of settings, ie Trauma, Emergency, Day Surgery, Paeds, ICU etc. and various states of health, perform ECG’s, heel-pokes on infants, enter requisitions in MediTech and perform a number of other duties in the Laboratory, i.e. cleaning, stocking, disinfecting, planting, preparing and staining slides etc. In addition I learned to interact with patients and support staff, the routine of the laboratory, and participated in rounds. I became familiar with the various procedures regarding draws on renal patients, the identification protocol of patients and samples, blood bank samples, public health specimens, send-outs and different specimen requirements.
Overall good place to work at.
Full Time Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Orillia Ont4 February 2014
Fast pace environment, having to care for 4-5 patients on a day shift and 6-7 on a night shift. I work with great people who support and help everyday at work. Like every job there are good and bad days, but the good out weigh the bad.
Very nice working environment, laid back, familiar
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 July 2013
A typical day consisted of taking report from the night staff. Attending emergency situations (relief) as soon as possible to let night staff go home. If non-emergent, collect new orders for the day, initialize the computers for Pulmonary Function Testing or Rehab labs. Attend to first round of treatment and/or attend rounds in ICU, take report on patients, follow-up orders, provide patient care, troubleshoot as necessary, check up on previous shift's lab results, chest x-rays, and other reports, make adjustments on ventilators, perform intubations and extubations, line placements or arterial stabs as ordered, transport to other units, assist with high risk deliveries or C-sections, maintain stock of emergency equipment at bedside and for transport, ensure supply of drugs sufficient for each day, cover for staff that are ill or on breaks, check OR supplies and maintain anesthesia equipment, calibrate, adjust and repair equipment as needed or send out for repair. Attend staff meetings, education seminars, inservices and teach and review students' progress. Review and make changes to policy and procedure manuals and maintain records of courses taken for quality assurance programs. Keep up with technology and provide inservice to other departments on new equipment and procedures.
Pros
All pros
Cons
Maternity leaves returned and was getting too few hours
Professional workplace with dedicated staff to give both medical and quality care.
Medical Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orillia24 October 2012
Team work makes the day easier to manage and maintains better work flow, which is a big part of working at Soldiers Memorial Hospital.
Working with patients that require special skills dealing with the very young to the elderly.
Helping people is what I enjoy most about my job at OSMH.
Pros
great friendly co - workers
Cons
part time available only