Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital

Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
DI is a good place to work. Lots of comraderie amongst the staff. It's not perfect, but the problems here are the problems with every DI department in southern Ontario at the moment.
Community hospital feel and pace. Management disconnected from front line staff on many issues, with financial considerations put before patient care and safety at times.
Very demanding job, no appreciation from the manager, too many supervisors that are always scolding and monitoring your every move, zero recognition but everyone is always getting written up for the most absolutely absurd reasons like helping a co worker, I was told to focus on my own job instead of helping a co worker that was in distress and crying, for not completing a task that was added on the already huge list, there is no time, less workers, huge overturn and always short staffed but they keep adding things to do when there is already no time to complete the regular job description tasks making the workload overwhelming.
Great place to work very nice people. Maintenance management and crew are stellar.Some downsides are people who try to justify their existence by sticking their law book in your face the whole time not knowing facts.
Management is crooked and dishonest. Short cuts taken in every aspect of the hospital and especially in maintemance where work practices seriously jeopardize the health and safety of all patients and visitors. Management up to the highest levels in charge know and ignore these issues and conspire to cover for each other. Maintenance management should be fired AND thrown in jail!
OSMH is a suburb organization to work for. The culture is very supportive of staff and of staff advancement. The staff are very supportive of each other.
Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital is an older facility, which can provide challenge within the environment for day to day operations, it employees some of the most caring healthcare professional and promotes patient safety first. The continuing financial struggles impacts the need for up to date technologies in most areas in the hospital
Pros
Supporting culture
Cons
Stability/pay structure
I am proud to say I work at OSMH but it has it's faults. There is a lot of cuts to frontline workers yet many middle management positions that seem redundant. They are very strict about absenteeism. We are constantly short people because the hospital doesn't have enough money to pay for overtime. Most of the staff is great but some people didn't make the right career choice and it shows.
Overall a decent atmosphere, some things could be fixed but most people are super friendly and make work a lovely place to be.
Pros
Friendly staff, good location, good pay
Cons
A little overworked, top heavy management
As a student nurse I found OSMH to be a supportive environment for learning. The staff were welcoming and answered any questions and helped me where i required it.

It was not a paid position.
Got to work with various different platforms and technologies, learned a lot.
Also great work environment, helpful co-workers. Improved time management skills.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital?
these registered staff go far and above for their patients. often short staffed, they still strive to give all they can and always go the extra mile. majority of management support staff and empathize the role and nursing shortage can be stressful
I was only there for school hours but I would gladly work for them in the future. The staff are kind and the facility treats you well as an employee. five stars
Medium sized community general hospital in central Ontario. The hospital strives to provide excellent patient care across many inpatient and outpatient programs. Provides competitve salaries and benefits to all staff.
Pros
Competitive salaries and benefits
Cons
budgetary constraints
Worked there quite a few years ago. Doctors and staff were friendly and approachable. Work days were very busy but enjoyable. Position that I was in became redundant.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
None that come to mind
I would really recommend this hospital for work/life balance. The leaders are very approachable and you get to do a lot more than you can elsewhere. This can give you an amazing amount of experience in a short amount of time. The only thing was, for a project-based position, there was a lack of job security.
Pros
People, culture, location
Cons
Salary
The team culture is very very solid. We would go out every week and have a great time at lunch. Job requirements were fair and all upper management were amazing people. Highly recommend!
The Hospital is understaffed. Hours are long with the acuity increasing in severity with no help from management or staffing. Low morale at times. More help from the government would be helpful.
My employment at Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital has given a wide variety of patents/clients/family members to help navigate throughout the hospital system and has definitely improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Friendly staff
Positive engaging small-town hospital void of the many beurocratic policies and procedures that so often entrench forward thinking in bigger centres. Have an idea? Bring it forward - affecting change is but a few and productive policy development strategies away - how engaging to the front line workers!
Wonderful environment!

If you're looking for a place to dig your heels in and develop your ideas and be a part of a forward thinking (and moving) team - come aboard! You will not be disappointed.

I almost forgot to mention, everyone smiles. Everyone. The CEO is present and engaged, as is everyone else. It's delightful!
Pros
Environment, team
Cons
Limited career development opportunities - small centre
The staff in the maint. department are like a family. these guys took me under their wing and exposed me to the real word. This is where I gained my aspiration to become an electrician!
This was great workplace considering I was just a high school student performing a co-op placement. the atmosphere was friendly as well as the people I could see myself working here in the future may it be apprenticing or as a full time career.
Pros
friends, learnig expeirence
Cons
long drive