Original Joe's

Original Joe's Employee Reviews

Canada230 reviews

originalmealrestaurantfoodkitchenstaffshiftfree

Good Starting Serving Job

Managers are kind and staff are friendly. Great starting position if you’ve never served or bartended. Fast pace, good quality food and depending on the location, the clientele are amazing.

Pros

Positive co workers

Cons

Low Tips

a pretty chill place to work at as a dishwasher

i worked at OJs for about 3 years and the whole time was pretty relaxed. was pretty hard to move from being a dishwasher to working upfront but was not that bad over all. friendly staff at the time i worked there

Insights into Original Joe's

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

productive and fun place to work

great workplace with a fun and amazing team. the job is not too demanding but attention to detail is required. the management team also left us feeling supported.

Respected and appreciated

Great place to work nice people that care about your health añd friendship good days are rushy but fun music is great to keep up the pace plus get to make requests often

Pros

Free snacks drinks 😋 and learn recipes 😁

Cons

Low work days but fair tho

Fun work environment

I love working here, they are considerate of peoples needs and truly care about their employees. It makes work enjoyable and a fun place to be. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Pros

Free lunches for management

Cons

Sometimes short hours

Good Serving Job

Original Joe's is a lovely place to work. Can be fast paced but lovely people to work with and is very laid back compared to other places. They do expect the best though, but if you're a hard worker then you're fine!

Pros

Tips, Face to face customer service

Cons

Rude customers, long hours on feet

Unwelcoming work environment and a mostly dead restaurant

Most days this location is really slow (sometimes totally dead for 1hr + ) and doesn’t pick up at all until later in the evening. Most coworkers have worked there for years and are very close, hard to not feel like the odd one out. One positive, the training is quite extensive and clear, making it easy to pick up on the flow of things quickly. Another negative, expect to reamed out for minor mistakes by management. If you’re looking for a job with a friendly team and a steady flow of customers, look elsewhere.

2323 rabbit hill road location was the best bar I have ever worked at. Miss the location and hope it’s doing well. The money is also great, generous regulars, but the connections you make with them is much more worth while

Pros

Great front and back of house

productive friendly atmosphere

a typical day for a prep cook would be cutting veggies, making sauces, weighing food portions, cleaning work station I was kind of nervous starting out but this seriously was a fun place to work. I had that pegged in my first day, also I have been threw dozens of jobs and this is one of the best management teams I have ever encountered. There are strict rules to being a employee, like you have to have management sign you in and out for your shift and a zero tolerance on missing shifts unless you give a valid reason.

What you expect

Not a terrible company to work for but once you work your way up to management you are basically stuck at that level as there are rarely openings to progress.

Meh

You are only praised for the first few months and then after that there is no recognition. No room for growth and even if there is you are paid poorly.

Decent money, toxic management and work environment.

Pretty standard restaurant/bar working experience. Fast paced work that rewards skill and effort. Job was okay up until management became a living nightmare. They enforce a cult-like environment where management must be complimented on social media apps and a certain “personality” must be maintained. Can easily be written up and warned for ambiguous and petty reasons such as not “facilitating connections”. You will also be expected to do online module work for BOH staff even if you are FOH. Management can and will easily turn a fairly straightforward job into a meticulous, heavily supervised and arduous one that requires a certain “attitude” that is never defined clearly.

Pros

Solid pay/tips

Cons

Toxic management

Never work here!!

I have never been treated so poorly before. I got two weeks of five training shifts 8 hours. Which was great. I got another week of five shifts at 8 hours. After that my shifts and hours gradually decreased until it was one shift every two weeks. I was ignored all the time during my shifts and they'd constantly have me in dish because they never hired any dishwashers.

Culture driven company who prioritizes your mental health and leadership growth while maintaining a fun and psychologically safe environment.

Every day of work is different but that's what I love about it. Every shift brings new challenges that works my brain and enables me to grow and build confidence. Without this organization, I wouldn't have become the leader I am today.

Pros

Staff appreciation, discounted meals, gratitude projects, staff appreciation, team oriented

Cons

Stressful revenues

Fun place

Great experience working here friendly staff and friendly environment to work in. If I lived closer I still would work there! Flexible hours if you’re in need of some work I suggest this place.

Good serving gig

Great customers most of the time, lots of regulars. Potential to make good money if your good at your job. Not alot of advancement. Just a normal serving job.

Can be fun, very fast paced,

It’s all about management and who’s there. I found servers who started before me where very clicky and didn’t interact much with newer servers and weren’t super helpful. But I met awesome people and loved working there.

Pros

Staff discount, staff parties, team members

Cons

Very fast paced, not much training

covid friendly

the managers policy is that the goverment is lying and covids not real, and its not a good reason to miss work. also the the only way you can get a raise is by threatening to leave.

Pros

hot servers

Cons

kitchen staff not hot

Really good place to work everyone is friendly and they have fantastic regulars. It really feels like a family whenever you walk in the door. Only con is you probably won’t get full time hours

Pros

Good people

Cons

Not the best hours

Cheap

You will make little to no money while training and they reserve the right to drag it out for up to 8 weeks. Be prepared to serve your own tables and hand over the tip money to someone else.

Fast past, team work

Opportunity to grow within the company, I felt appreciated for the things normally would go unnoticed in other company. Authority was very respectful and expecting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Original Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement