Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar Employee Reviews

Fun workplace and great employees
Server/Bartender/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 March 2019
A typical night at work is usually pretty busy. A night would consist of at least 3 servers, expo, bartender and management on the floor. Ive learnt alot at this place and really have excelled on my server experience. Management and employees are all amazing people to work with and make my job more enjoyable. The hardest part about this job is catering to peoples bad experiences and trying to make it the best experience possible for them after an issue arises.
Great people
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 March 2019
I enjoyed working at OJs for the most part. Hours were very hard to come by, but the people I worked with were great. The food and staff discount was good.
Very fast paced
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC8 March 2019
It was a fun job at first however, I began to get way to many hours and they relied only of me to work weekdays and that was very difficult because I also played volleyball at the time.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not enough staff
Fun place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC19 February 2019
It was a great place to work until the fired the manager and brought in a new one. She immediately dismissed the dishwasher and cut peoples hours. She also expected one person to be able to close the resteraunt by themselves from 9 pm on with no help and still be able to be done a half hour after closing at 12am.
Pros
free meal
Cons
no breaks
resteraunt and bar with good food
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB19 October 2018
The hardest past of the job was working for one of the managers and trying to deal with her and the way she treated coworkers. Aside from that, the workplace didn't have any other cons.
Cons
bad/angry managment
Friendly coworkers and approachable management, more comfortable casual setting.
Robson - Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2018
Shift will often start off with stocking up line station for service (Robson location periodically busy during brunch hours, happy hour, dinner service and nights that events were occurring nearby (3 blocks from BC Place and Rogers Arena). Colleagues differ in personalities, majority very enjoyable to work with. Job requires occasional long hours and ability to multi-task long term.
Pros
Free staff meals for BOH staff, hourly+tips.
Cons
Low pay-grade across company, entry level job as line cook.
Good atmosphere
Assistant kitchen/cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 September 2018
Typical day was to set up line for lunch and diner services, while maintaining excellent quality food during crossover hours of the day. I would insure food spec/quality was maintained during the process of the afternoon carrying into the night.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Closing shifts
nice co-worker
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2018
fun and exciting environment. Nice people to worked with. Good management. A good workplace culture. ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
I think the group restaurants are a great option but stay away from the franchises.
Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB27 July 2018
To be fair need to say that the one in St. Albert is a Franchise and they usually doesn't adhere to the company standards, big loads of work, no breaks between shifts, and preferences from some employees against others. Plus a very poor management towards customers and employees, you could say they are only oriented in sales and costs.
A job that gives you a regular/stable routine, but hard to move up in.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC12 July 2018
Management: Current management is awesome, though it's had it's ups and down.

Typical day: Take inventory of current prepped product, set product pars for the day, prepare product to meet/exceed pars, clean work station and prep hall upon completion of the day (including sweeping, mopping and taking out garbage and cardboard).

Workplace culture: A lot of work has to be done by yourself if you see it needs doing, as few people are willing to go above and beyond. Usually goes unnoticed when you do, unless management sees you actively doing it.

Hardest part of the job: lack of positive praise, extremely high expectations that are hard to meet.

Most enjoyable part of the job: going through the daily routine without complications
Pros
Severely discounted food, flexible with your schedule
Cons
Long hours, low wages, hard to move up, very high expectations
Productive and fun work place.
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2018
I worked with mostly guys therefore some of them are lazy and always relying on us prep cook.The management needs an improvement on how to treat their employees and should pay them right.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Doesn’t pay employees enough
Fun workplace great people and great food
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 June 2018
Really enjoyed the workplace and was able to really build more culinary skills. Clean kitchen and great people. And most of all the food was outstanding and really fun to cook and serve to customers
fun, outgoing workplace
Sever/ part time manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 May 2018
a typical day at work for me would be . Greeting every customer that came into the establishment. Taking drink orders as well as food orders. running food and drinks to the table. My favorite part of the job was getting to meet and know all the regulars as well as new customers ...
Pros
outgoing fun place to work
Poor management took a simple and fun job and found a way to make it's employees want to go scrub toilets rather than work for Original Joes.
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC21 April 2018
I have worked under three different BOH managers during my time as an OJs employee. In a low rewarding job such as a restaurant line cook sometimes the only real motivation to continue working there comes from the people you work with. You will see a lot of come and go employees but the ones who stay have a personality pattern to say the least. They're almost always fun and gregarious people to be around who have strong work ethics.

A good manager can take this group of people and turn them into a power force of food producers. You will enjoy coming to work and look forward to seeing your friends. The resteruant will feel like a family more than a buisness, which it most certainly is. Customers notice this as well. When you come into a resteruant do you like to see isolated and disgruntled servers with the line cooks making your food with their heads down in silence? Or would you rather see smiling faces, hear servers laughing with each other, with you, with the cooks?

Sometimes all it takes to be a good manager is to tell your employees their doing a good job. Give them helpful critism when they are wrong instead of telling them to do it a different without giving a reason. Give them incentive to continue doing a good job when they are working well by simply telling them they are. Interact with them when you have the time. Ask them about their lives outside of work or even hang out once your off or come in when they need you. A good manager is a natural leader.

Not everyone has the time it takes to be a good manager however. A bad manager may be a nice person with
  more... good intentions but the simple act of climbing off their horse to be with their soldiers is lost on them. The impressions you give your staff is what they will see in you even when you are not present. A manager who isn't there is a manager who doesn't care. This is especially true in a kitchen.

Original Joe's currently has poor managers who can not budget properly to such an extreme that it has started effecting tipouts. When food orders come in they are so consistently wrong that I actually believe they use a dartboard. This in turn empties the registers as they constantly need to send their employees to a grocery store to buy product we obviously need but did not order. I once had to spend over $180 for ground beef and mushroms; how pathetic is that.

Now if a manager can't even do their duties properly on what leg do they stand when they critique your own work. How can they possibly begin taking the right steps towards being a good and respectable leader when they can't even help themselves?

To sum this up Original Joes has a lapdog group of managers with no integrity who focus more on keeping their own backsides out of the fire then helping their staff improve. There is no training, only an unhelpful website that you must complete at home or else they threaten you with less shifts and withhold tipouts. Truly have I never so felt so low about myself and my potential than my last few months at Original Joes.

Gone are days of good managers for this company. As soon as they naturally partnered with the company Cara and became another coorperate franchise was the moment the blade dropped. How can a manager care for their staff in the ways I've described when they themselves are under the constant pressure and disproval from their own bosses? A chain of mismanagement has strangled this company and all the glory it once had.

If you want a minimun wage job that doesn't care about you and grinds your nose to the floor then Original Joe's is the place for you. You won't recieve any sort of benifits, you won't receive any praise, and you may not even receive you hard earned tipouts. I recommend a come and go experience. Good luck.
Pros
Learn to quickly cook and prep food in various ways.
Cons
An unsteady schedule, horrible managment, little room to grow
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK11 April 2018
Crazzy hours…not enough work/life balance. The FOH and BOH staff were amazing to work with. Gained a lot of experience and made friends for a life time. I would still be there and would go back if the work/life balance was a little better.
Pros
Excellent food and drinks
Cons
Never got to spend any time with my family
Was a great place to start!
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 February 2018
It was a great place to work for untill recent, management changes! There is a huge presence of favoratisim amognst a certain few people. Just can't quite pay the bills.
Pros
Discounts on food and drink
Cons
Unstrucured
Bonanza
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK15 February 2018
A typical day at work was cleaning down the salad bar or cleaning tables if we were waiting on running food out. I learned what the names of food i was serving were called and how to re fill salad bar. The hardest part of the job was just learning how to work long hours on my feet ,since it was my very first job.
Pros
30 mins
Cons
8 hours
Fantastic Place to work
Managing Partner (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 February 2018
Love working for this company! I've always had a great work life balance and have always been rewarded appropriately for a job well done. Original Joe's has an amazing workplace culture. I have always been very proud of the product we produce.
Only work here if you have no other options
Line and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
Management is questionable, lots of pretty girls to work with, except to them you are pond scum. Men only hired in the back, women only hired in the front. Superiors were extremely lazy and if you are at the bottom of the ladder you are doing 95% of the work there. Expect to be underpaid for the amount of work put in.
Pros
40% discount on food and drink
Cons
No lunch breaks, ever.
Prep Cook
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 January 2018
Worked as a prep cook weighing out items to sell and for day and next day service. Help in dish station when needed. Daily prep change from day to day. Was only then for a month then laid off.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not easy to work for