Orangetheory Fitness
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Orangetheory Fitness Employee Reviews

Loved the environment because my staff and members were amazing. Upper Management does not help when their staff clearly makes it known that they want to advance in their position. Loads of secrets, drama, gossip can be quite toxic
Pros
Amazing members, free membership
Cons
No work life balance, hard to advance even when you work hard
I felt like a valued member of the team! The management was professional and receptive to ideas about the business. Members were friendly and welcoming as a new member of the team. Hardest part of the job would have to be overcoming objections ... this happens in most forms of customer service and depends largely on your personality. It was a fun environment to work in!
Pros
Working out at no cost
Cons
Early mornings (sometimes)
OTF South is the worst company I have ever worked for. Not only will you have no work/life balance but you will be forced into a culture that is racist, full of drama and sees constant turnover. The company specifically only hires pretty, blondes and your Facebook will be looked at before your resume. If you aren’t “cute” or have a foreign name, the Regional Manager will throw out your application entirely. If this isn’t bad enough, their business practices are nothing shy of illegal. You will be forced to forge signatures on Membership Agreements and make it impossible for members to cancel. On top of this, you’re expected to close every sale and if you don’t, you’re in trouble. OTF South in particular can’t hold management and their studios are suffering as a result of the turnover.If you’re hired as a Sales Associate and start making sales, the likelihood you’ll be promoted into Management is high, simply because there’s always a need. Manager salary is fairly substantial however they are paid out vacation meaning they are on call 24/7 and never get a break from the studio.Also, the owners really try to enforce mandatory workouts on top of your hours - so overall, be prepared to eat, breathe and sleep Orangetheory if applying!
Pros
Lululemon Discount
Cons
Management, Hours, Mandatory Workouts, Culture, Corporate Structure
I worked for the company 6 years. First few were great, however when corporate hired new regional sales directors, the entire region turned toxic. The regional manager was a bully who made coming to work full of anxiety and frustrations. Coaches were reprimanded if they didn't make sales and sales associates were yelled at in front of members. Head office does nothing to help try to solve the high turn over in the studios because if the toxic environment. The only thing that was amazing were the members and coaches that really wanted to help people.
Pros
Members
Cons
Corporate staff
It's a great place to be. Management is very supportive! It's a competitive environment with sales, but great rewards and motivation. Free membership at the gym which is great. I was treated so fairly and it is a great work environment. They give lots of room to grow as long as you work hard and are passionate and motivated. A good job for a problem solver and hard worker!
Would have given 0 stars if I could. If you have any moral compass what so ever DO NOT APPLY. Upper management requires you to rip of customers to meet your sales targets. They do not care about the wellbeing of their employees. Will work you to death at minimum wage, let you go for “loss of productivity” and take your commissions. It’s not worth the free workouts. Get a job that pays you what your worth and go to your pick of gyms.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, culture, work/life balance
Please see above. I have been with the company for a short amount of time and our franchisee is heavily involved with the day to day. At times, our personality types are polarized and create friction but I know he cares deeply about his staff and his business.
I worked at OTF VICTORIA/ OTF Westshore for 3+ years. I loved the clientele and the people I worked with except the management is horrendous. I have never worked with more unprofessional people. The owner and his girlfriend (also the head coach of Victoria and "HR") are spiteful, rude, condescending, and have little understanding of employment law. 10/10 lacking in integrity or ethics, if you are looking for a few hours/ week and a free membership then by all means, but if you are looking for support or opportunity to learn, run (or powerwalk) in the other direction!
Pros
Clients are lovely!
Cons
Unrealistic expectations and harrassment by "management"
I found it stressful as a coach at times. You have to memorize scripts, remember alot of certain wording and phrases to say. You have to be SUPER good at multi-tasking, as there is alot to pay attention to during classes.After Covid, I found there was WAY too much stress to work there now and they have changed alot of things.I always had to almost stu d y the class template each day as there was always so much to remember
Pros
Great members
Had lots of good workers but Never called them back and hired all new for no reason, no explanation. Let a manager go due to their finances and hid pay stubs for months from employees. commission was capped and the stress to make sales was extremely high. Wasn't appreciated or respected unless you're a coach.
Management had a whole new turnover. New management wasn’t a healthy environment. I expected working for a gym to be fun but it feels more like a call center as your day is mostly harassing people to come in for a workout. The assistant manager let someone in the employee room to change and I got my identity stolen from my purse. The company refused to do anything about this and fired me as I was hoping for something to come out of this, wouldn’t even cover expenses to track my sin number.
Pros
Free workouts off shift.
Cons
Management, pay, no room to move up.
Such a great environment. Feels like a second home and the staff is so amazing! The workout itself kicks my butt and it’s so much fun. Great music and speakers, lighting, high tech, and awesome equipment.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
I was a member at this location for about a year, I really enjoyed the workout and it seemed like a cool and fun place to work as I was not happy with my pervious employer. Shortly after I started I began to feel uncomfortable. The current sales team are mostly students and are friends. They would talk about hanging out together in front of me and never made any attempt to make me feel welcome, however two of the coaches were very nice to me. The training was very quick, there was not a lot a room for error and no real support. I felt very much “thrown to the wolves” The head coach/studio manager/ part owner does not know how to run a business they pretty much told me so themselves. The rules also changed depending if the other owners were in the studio or not. If you are a student and not planning on staying here long this would be a good job for you. The studio manager seems to like employees that won’t be here for long. If you are looking for a career I would suggest you look else where
Bullying and harassment in the workplace. HR does not care upper management is the problem. Employees as well as members are treated very poorly. I would never recommend this company to anyone as this place can cause mental distress. Abusive work environment
One of the best jobs I ever had. We were first to market OT here in this area, and paid well as no other Orangetheory's around. Management cares about you. Also you can work-out for free, and ability to move up when there is possibility of 2-3 other Orangetheory's going up with the same owner!
Not a great environment. Micromanagement from management. Lots of prejudice and judgement in the gym industry. High expectations, very low rewards. Compensation not aligned with job title.
Work is not challenging, it's high pressure sales and shady business tactics. Metrics are set based on the targets American studios can reach (American locations have a population 10-20 times the size of the population around a Canadian location). Tons of nepotism in the company, and a "drink the koolaid" culture where you conform or are bullied into quitting. Business rewarded shallow, gossipy behaviour. Training was buzzword meetings and little substance.
Pros
Free workouts
Cons
Everything else
started as sales associate, worked into trainer. Busy day at work managing classes and time effectively. Management was always fair and helpful. Culture was upbeat and fun. The hardest part was multitasking, but you get used to it, the members are the best part
Great training program. Orangetheory is a leader in the fitness field. They have technology that is used to monitor your heart rate and shows calories burned in real time.
One of the best student jobs I had, very dynamic environment and management. You really get invested in your work and the brand. Salary is reasonable and commission based. Very flexible work schedule.
Orangetheory offers a stable source of income for trainers with consistent group class attendance and a lower sales requirement to develop/maintain your income compared to other personal training jobs. However, there is almost no upwards mobility of any kind within the organization, corporate policy can be restrictive or downright backwards at times, and franchise set up means the working experience at individual locations may vary due to management/ownership