Orangetheory Fitness Employee Reviews

Fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 August 2018
It is very flexible and is a great environment. The staff and members make the job fun. If you have a passion for fitness and want to be around like minded positive people this is the place for you!
Pros
Flexible hours, fun atmosphere, good co-workers
Worst Employer EVER
Sales representative and receptionist (fulltime) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 May 2018
Bossed around by a dictator who was rarely at work.
Was the only one who cleaned the bathrooms
Boss liked to ogle at women and flirt amongst staff, Chatting about how much he can drink
Staff turnover constantly
Orange Theory Fitness is a combination of EPOC Training (excess post oxygen consumption), which is how much oxygen your body's muscles can absorb at one time, resistance training, and strength training. All can be achieved at home or at a cheap gym. Over priced and he lies about how you can cancel your membership. He lies to people so that he has money at the end of the day.
Below Average
Sales (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 March 2018
low pay, no benefits, calling lots of people daily.

The members were great and having that interaction with them as well as being in an encouraging uplifting place for them to come to.
Typical Sales Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 February 2018
Never worked sales but there is a lot of pressure to get memberships everyday and it takes away from giving the members 5 minutes of your time to make them feel welcome.
Pros
Busy times but then there are quiet times to get all your work done at your own pace
Cons
Poor management
Fun and scientifically driven fitness facility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 January 2018
Overall OTF is great. however, management was inexperienced and unprofessional at the Oshawa location. Head office is impeccable and i am still in partnerships with the advertisement head and other executive staff.
Pros
free work outs, great staff
Cons
unaccommodating hours, poor management
Had an amazing team to work with for my first actual sales job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2017
I now know that sales is what I am interested in! I was unsure at the beginning because I did not want to be scamming anyone but I learned very fast that we are selling memberships not to make commission but to better the community and help everyone become healthy.
Do not work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 December 2017
Horrible Owner, store has been open less than 2 years with over 65 past employees. 0 job secuirty. Owner is sexist and racist and people have lots of problems with getting paid. They short people on hours and constantly over charge on purpose.
Expected better
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 October 2017
The studio is great. The workouts were good.
The salary was just about minimum wage.
I didn't like the pressure to sell and have to sound/speak like everyone else.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pressure to sell
Do not work here!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 July 2017
Be prepared to have a crazy work schedule that goes from closing the gym to opening it the next day. Commission is very low. No benefits or weekends off. They will say it's not a job it's a career but the only people who move up are family. When there is not classes going on you basically stand around or call people you have already called 14 days in a row. The treatment of staff is horrific to say the least.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Everything else about working there
Sales Associate (which also means you'll be at the front desk and cleaning)
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 July 2017
As an SA, the highest percentage of commission you get is less then 5% at a one time payment depending on the membership you sell. Meaning you sell 1 membership and you get 4.8 % of that sale and never again. The minimum wage is low. It is not enough to support an adult living on their own.
OTF is a franchise company and the owners of the region expected a lot, were very unapproachable and didn't praise their employees enough. The only thing good was the actual Manager of this studio.
The employment security is non existent. There are NO BENEFITS for full time workers.
The SA's have to clean all of the studio including the workout areas, washrooms, yes toilets and showers. The coaches get paid double what the SA's make and can triple even quadruple the pay depending on how many members are in the class.
Worked here for 3 months and I went backwards in my budgeting. Showed up for all my shifts, did all the tasks I had to do. Told the management this, and the General Manager did not even say anything. He came by our studio maybe twice in the 3 months I was there, and mostly stayed in the back office but expected us to sell, sell, sell.
Also the owners are all family related, the GM, the social media manager, opener etc. So it's actually pretty intimidating and the assumptions can vary a lot to workers and members.
Pros
Free workouts, clean space because you clean it.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, sketchy behind the scene Management
Fantastic workouts. Poorly run facility.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 July 2017
The main thing that kept me working with the company was the workouts.
The stress from being over worked (constantly working 15 plus days straight) and being understaffed became too much. The studio had about 2 SA's for 3 months and didn't seem to be in much rush to find new recruits.
You either did a task perfectly right, or it was wrong. So, 90% of the time no SA or staff member was ever up to the Owners expectations. Nothing was ever good enough. Very hard people to work for, not encouraging or worth it to work for them.
Pros
free membership
Cons
how it's run.
Enjoyable place to work
Membership Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 June 2017
I throughly enjoyed working here. It was a fun energetic environment. I loved the fact that you get to personally witness everyones fitness successes.
Pros
Free workout membership, energetic atmosphere
Cons
Pushy sales, poor management
like other gyms
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 June 2017
All though Orangetheory Fitness would not like you to use the word "gym" they are like every other pushy gym.
There is the expectation to call/email/text people EVERYDAY for many days in a row, so make sure you are comfortable with what felt like harassing people.
The company did not provide accurate training, but did run a tight ship when it came to rules.
I didn't feel this was a company that believed in their employees, nor give them room to grow.
My advice: if are are looking for a free gym membership, work for people who do not care about you, make a little bit of money and go then home- apply.
Pros
free orangetheory fitness membership
Cons
No support. Pushy sales people. No room for growth
productive work areas
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 April 2017
Fun and motivating environment to be a part of and to work inside of. I really enjoyed working for OTF as a brand ambassador for them, it gave me the opportunity to further utilize and develop my interpersonal skills as well as my ability to multi-task while closing deals.
Victoria and Westshore Studios are among the best
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 April 2017
I have been with OrangeTheory for almost 5 years now, and the Victoria/Westshore studios are among the best. Having began in Edmonton, the environment and culture is worlds apart.
The sales staff and team of trainers work together, supporting one another both in sales and in member care. The studio managers and head trainer, are there to help you succeed and progress, answering questions and helping along the way. As a trainer, it's rare to find constructive criticism in the industry, if you're helping another trainer evolve, you can potentially lose clients, that is not the environment here. The focus on members is an easy shift with all the background work, the music, and the workouts, created for you to deliver. Using the heart rate monitor has single handedly changed my approach to fitness. The results! By focusing on certain heart rate zones, the body is designed to respond better, the science within the body is what does it. If you haven't checked it out already, you should!
Pros
Culture, support, team sales incentives
Cons
With any new business, communication is always improving
Most fun job I ever had
Fitness Coach (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ON23 March 2017
The team, the members, everything about this place is absolutely amazing. Coaching classes is fun, they always provide feedback for improvement and management is great, always willing to listen to their employees. My only complaint is that they play around with the schedule a lot so it is hard to have any kind of stability/know what your next paycheck is gonna look like.
Pros
Fun work, great team
Cons
unsteady
Orangetheory Fitness Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2017
For the past 3 years, I've enjoyed being a Sales Associate at Orangetheory Fitness. With opportunities leading me to to various studios, I can truly say that I've grown into a more dependable, reliable, and responsible individual.
Pros
Work place enviorment
Cons
Poor communication with Corporate Management
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 September 2016
Opportunity to interact with and meeting many different people (customers) which is very enjoyable. Fun workplace but with minimal room for growth. More of a stepping stone job.
If you have a pesonnality, ambition or are passionate about fitness, run for the hills
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton & Area, AB13 July 2016
The product that this company provides is a good one. The workout is one that I would recommend to most. However, it does seem that management, at all levels, are slowly dragging it through the dirt till it dies. If you are a Kinesiology student that wants to use their degree, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to become a robot and nothing more, this will be perfect. When trainers try to have an opinion, stand up for member health and safety, support each other, and try to have a good time, you can be sure that it will be shut down. There is zero job security as I have watched many people disappear without explanation. Managements practices are conniving and at times, illegal. If you do get stuck here, the members are truly the joy of the job and the reason you will keep coming back
Pros
members
Cons
management, staff meetings, compensation, job culture, advancement, job secruity
Studio manager and Corporate in Canada
Studio Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada19 April 2016
The Orangetheory work out and concept is amazing. Small studio very details oriented and personal approach. However, the corporation that sell the franchise in Canada is very bad and so desorganized. Minimum training provided and corporate does not have enough staff to help the studio. Also the company that provides retails is based in the US and is completly incompetent.
The owners of mystudio has been struggling with corporate from day 1. Coprorate is very desorganized and the US corporate should step in.

If you plan on being a studio manager or own a franchise in Canada be aware,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orangetheory Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.