Orangetheory Fitness

Orangetheory Fitness: 130 Employee Reviews

Canada130 reviews

Found 130 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,196 reviews
workoutorangetheorymembershipstudiofitnessmembercommissioncoach

Not bad of a place to work.

Overall nice place to work, but a horrible commission system for selling very expensive gym memberships. Management is very micro managing at times, and patronizing.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Poor commission system

Do not recommend working here

I worked at the company for over 5 years as a coach casually/part time. The amount of work that is expected is way beyond pay. The “training” coaches take online includes a nutrition course yet no one is a certified nutritionist and should not be giving out this advice. It is one of the most toxic work environments I have ever seen. Everyone is expected to have full time availability even if you a part time employee. Managers are allowed to be coaches and pick their ideal hours to coach and tend to pick the busiest times since you get paid by how many people are in the class. I would’ve quit a long time ago if it were not for the relationships I built with members.

Insights into Orangetheory Fitness

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Terrible commission, not what I signed up for

What they call feedback culture often comes off as just plain criticism in a not so constructive way. Pay isn’t at all worth what we put up with. Worst Commission system I’ve worked with. I could care less if the member joins or not considering the commission is only $10. Will tell us to go out and do lead generation, while I use my own car….and gas with zero compensation. I applied for a SALES position and find myself doing everything else but selling.

Fun Workplace + Hard to Coach 1 on 1

- Workplace is fun and inviting- Co workers are very friendly - hard to coach members 1 on 1 (hard to find time)- fast paced environment and can be stressful

Free membership is not worth it

Orangetheory thrives on toxicity and judgement. You’re just a number unless you’re fit and blonde and blindly take orders. They tell you that minimum wage is enough because of the commissions you get but you have to work your butt off to get a decent commission. Management will tell one employee something, tell the management something else, and then tell you something else completely different. You’re expected to dedicate your life to Orangetheory and become a follower to their toxic culture. They’ll talk bad about any and every other gym around them. Gossip everywhere, terrible communication. They call you a part of the team but then stab you in the back for their own gain. Personally, I enjoyed the workouts. They work for a lot of people and have honestly done really great things for some people. However, they pump a bunch of unnecessary lingo and jargon into your brain to make it seem like the cost is worth it. It is not. They gouge their members for more money any way they can.Overall, save yourself the time, stress, and save your mental health. This place is not worth it.

Needs Help

So much potential for advancement but the support is not there. Time off doesn't exist, and new ideas come and go quicker than the staff. Pay is not on par with what is expected of you.

Toujours le fun rentrer travailler

J'aime mes collègues tout les membres aussi J'apprécie chaque moment passer au studio

Baffled at this company

I’ve worked in fitness sales for a couple years, even another OTF and this was by far the worst experience I’ve ever had in this field. Our compensation is pathetic at best for the amount of work we do, we’re severely understaffed, the hours aren’t ideal but not terrible. The biggest issue is the culture and our managing/corporate staff. It’s almost as if they have no idea what they’re doing and want to see us fail; to the point where even our members notice and complain to us. False promises, lack of opportunity and support. It’s embarrassing. If you’re looking for a long term career with room for growth do not apply here.

Pros

Free Gym Membership

Cons

Literally Everything Else

Fun workplace

I love the work environment. Very friendly and welcoming. Can be a bit stressful but nothing too crazy. Very very flexible schedule to fit all of your needs.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Salary

Great environment and energy. Coaching is a blast and I look forward to doing it everyday

Working at Orangetheory has been a great experience for me. I’ve been there for just over a year now and I enjoy coming in and coaching basically every day.

Job responsibility does not equal your low pay

Prepare to do the most, including the managers tasks and still be paid 15 an hour. The managers will compete with you rather than working as a team. They aren’t empathetic to any situation that you will go through. Only care about you coming in for your shift.

Appreciated and valued/ balanced my personal with work

Accommodating, encouraging and community based.Management was there for me no matter the situation. Easy to want to work harder to become more advanced.Definitely the most fun I have had working

Unprofessional conduct

The company model is good for the reason that it allows for a decent work life balance, most likely a trade off between morning or evening shifts as most locations run a skeleton crew during the day. Personally I liked working early mornings and being done with work by 11am/12pm. I would not recommend working here as there is I experienced a lack of competency at the regional level that expressed itself as very little organisation between training staff.

Typical gym

Typical gym sales. Pushing quotas and spamming uninterested people to sign up. Overall culture while I was there was decent but took a turn drastically when the owners demanded hours of free work promoting the company after you'd already done your 40 hours that week.

Do not work here.

If you enjoy having any sort of life outside of work do not work here. They require minimum 2 months notice for any time off and even then don't approve the request 99% of the time. They expect you to drop everything for them as if people in their early 20s don't have a life outside of work.Paid insultingly low for amount of work required, and they upsell how much you actually make in commission. They will also not pay you your last commission pay if you hand in your two weeks notice before the pay is scheduled. Working out on shift is also not allowed so I'm not sure why that is advertised. There is no flexibility, or appreciation for employees. We did not even have a break room to eat - most meals we had to eat our car while the manager worked out of the one "employee only" office.

Good intro job but not suitable for long term

Lots of cold calling people and selling memberships. Difficult to sell at times because clients found they were over priced. Could be really stressful at times. Not alot of wage increases even if you've been there for a few years. However, the team was great and geniuenly cared about eachother

Pros

Free workouts

Cons

Salary

Management needs work.

Great place to help change lives and motivate members to workout. Management was not good and lacks direction, value and appreciation of employees/coaches. Workplace is a clique and the lack of compassion /empathy towards employees is astounding for a place that is supposed to promote health and wellnessNo room for advancement, and pay scale is dependent on the number of people who attend your class. If you end up on a bum schedule, you make less money than someone who has the peak hour classes. Pay scale will never change, and no possibility of a raise despite mandatory continuing education courses and online work (on your off time).

Pros

Free workouts

Cons

Under valued, under paid, no room for career growth, not ideal shift work hours.

High turnover workplace

High turnover rate and constantly understaffed due to employee burnout. Pay is too low for job requirements. Upper management does not care about employee or member feedback.

Review

High stress for little compensation. Management is constantly changing as do the expectations- there is little work life balance for such an entry level position.

Stressful place to work

The work culture is terrible very high schools and cliques. Management overworks you and they expect you to not have a personal life would not recommend working here.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Overworked

Worst company to work for

Owners do not care about their staff, and will treat you with such disrespect it’s actually disgusting. They only care about numbers and not about the people. They will uptalk commission but you’ll barley make anything because no one buys since it is ridiculously overpriced (219$ a month and there’s not even a change room) The company is ran by literal children who have no experience! they are so desperate they will take anyone they can get.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orangetheory Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement