Orangetheory Fitness Employee Reviews

Fun and amazing workplace!
Coach (Current Employee) –  Canada, BE24 February 2019
It is a great company with a workout created to specifically help to reach your goals! a workout backed up by science with results to prove the amazing effects of the workout!
Toxic place to work
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2019
A very toxic company and would not recommend it to anyone! The only thing going for them is it is a great franchise. They have terrible individuals leading their teams across the Edmonton region. How can you respect your regional when all she does is bad mouth everyone above her and basically tells all her staff corporate people are a joke. The be all end all is that this company is a joke for tolerating it! Lead by example OTF Edmonton! It’s time to do something about this toxic environment you are manifesting!
Cons
Terrible Regional Managers
bad location to work for
Fitness Coach (Former Employee) –  langley12 February 2019
Other than the amazing pay scale and the members are amazing do not work at this location. Management and head coach are the most difficult people to work for. Nothing but slimy sales tactics horrible and wrong operating procedures and gossip between the staff and management. All over bad ora in the whole establishment
High paced very busy sales driven.
Studio Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2019
Very sales focused goal oriented. Management is really unprofessional not a very positive place to work.
The only positive is the workout and the members.
Another part-time job
Membership Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 January 2019
Working at OTF is only good if you enjoy the workouts. The management at the location I worked at was a joke... One university student, a lady that doesn't know what she is doing , and another that is barely there. The girl who made my schedule also made her own and there was favoritism because how is it that one employee is able to go to the cabin every weekend and the rest have to work. I was talked to like I was a child in grade school and felt like I was being scolded if I did not meet my sales target.. The manager I had to deal with was condescending and rude toward select individuals and I feel bad for anyone who still has to work with her because is it not professional or pleasant .
Pros
Awesome workouts
Cons
early shifts, rude members, rude management
Great sales experience
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Dufferin county ,ON29 December 2018
If you can sell than this job is for you . However it can be short lived . I honestly feel like I was used for my sales experience as I was let go out of no where . Blind sided but that’s okay their loss . Staff is wonderful . Franchisee is an awesome person . Manager is awesome . Just not sure where or what went wrong when I was let go .
Pros
Free work outs, different sales approach
Disorganized, condescending, and stressful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 December 2018
It was an unfortunate experience as each studio is owned by a different franchisee and this one had no previous ownership, management, or fitness industry experience.

As such, the working conditions were abysmal. Staff members were often spoken to like imbeciles, told they were only allowed to work their given shift and would not be paid for overtime, but pressed into staying late to "help out on their own time".

The work conditions felt more like that of used car lot than a fitness studio. Some staff members found it increasingly difficult to keep working there as they were outright asked to lie to the clients regarding promotions and sign up incentives. Promises were continually withdrawn when it became inconvenient for the owners to follow through on them.

Staff were regularly promised large celebrations, bonuses, and incentives if certain quotas were met, but inconsistently followed through on.

Each time the staff would near a quota, the quota would move up again, making it near impossible for the staff to reach them and therefor the owners didn't have to keep their word.

The most difficult part of the job was the continually changing expectations from the owners and never being able to meet them.

Under new management, I believe the business itself would be successful, but as it stands, I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't keep losing members hand over fist.
Pros
Free coffee occasionally, great clientele
Cons
High pressure, long unpaid hours, condescension, poor leadership, unfulfilled promises
Workplace Culture
Fitness Coach (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 November 2018
Orange theory is a great place to work. There is always ongoing training so you are always learning and growing. The workplace culture is fun and it feels more like family rather than a job.
Innovative, Advanced Fitness Compnay
Regional Director, Studio/Franchise Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
Exceptional Franchise group, modern, best workout in the world. Tech savvy and great leadership. Top Inc. 500 company. Fast expansion... strong vision, values for the future.
Fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 August 2018
It is very flexible and is a great environment. The staff and members make the job fun. If you have a passion for fitness and want to be around like minded positive people this is the place for you!
Pros
Flexible hours, fun atmosphere, good co-workers
Worst Employer EVER
Sales representative and receptionist (fulltime) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 May 2018
Bossed around by a dictator who was rarely at work.
Was the only one who cleaned the bathrooms
Boss liked to ogle at women and flirt amongst staff, Chatting about how much he can drink
Staff turnover constantly
Orange Theory Fitness is a combination of EPOC Training (excess post oxygen consumption), which is how much oxygen your body's muscles can absorb at one time, resistance training, and strength training. All can be achieved at home or at a cheap gym. Over priced and he lies about how you can cancel your membership. He lies to people so that he has money at the end of the day.
Below Average
Sales (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 March 2018
low pay, no benefits, calling lots of people daily.

The members were great and having that interaction with them as well as being in an encouraging uplifting place for them to come to.
Typical Sales Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 February 2018
Never worked sales but there is a lot of pressure to get memberships everyday and it takes away from giving the members 5 minutes of your time to make them feel welcome.
Pros
Busy times but then there are quiet times to get all your work done at your own pace
Cons
Poor management
Fun and scientifically driven fitness facility
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 January 2018
Overall OTF is great. however, management was inexperienced and unprofessional at the Oshawa location. Head office is impeccable and i am still in partnerships with the advertisement head and other executive staff.
Pros
free work outs, great staff
Cons
unaccommodating hours, poor management
Had an amazing team to work with for my first actual sales job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2017
I now know that sales is what I am interested in! I was unsure at the beginning because I did not want to be scamming anyone but I learned very fast that we are selling memberships not to make commission but to better the community and help everyone become healthy.
Do not work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 December 2017
Horrible Owner, store has been open less than 2 years with over 65 past employees. 0 job secuirty. Owner is sexist and racist and people have lots of problems with getting paid. They short people on hours and constantly over charge on purpose.
Expected better
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 October 2017
The studio is great. The workouts were good.
The salary was just about minimum wage.
I didn't like the pressure to sell and have to sound/speak like everyone else.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pressure to sell
Do not work here!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 July 2017
Be prepared to have a crazy work schedule that goes from closing the gym to opening it the next day. Commission is very low. No benefits or weekends off. They will say it's not a job it's a career but the only people who move up are family. When there is not classes going on you basically stand around or call people you have already called 14 days in a row. The treatment of staff is horrific to say the least.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Everything else about working there
Sales Associate (which also means you'll be at the front desk and cleaning)
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 July 2017
As an SA, the highest percentage of commission you get is less then 5% at a one time payment depending on the membership you sell. Meaning you sell 1 membership and you get 4.8 % of that sale and never again. The minimum wage is low. It is not enough to support an adult living on their own.
OTF is a franchise company and the owners of the region expected a lot, were very unapproachable and didn't praise their employees enough. The only thing good was the actual Manager of this studio.
The employment security is non existent. There are NO BENEFITS for full time workers.
The SA's have to clean all of the studio including the workout areas, washrooms, yes toilets and showers. The coaches get paid double what the SA's make and can triple even quadruple the pay depending on how many members are in the class.
Worked here for 3 months and I went backwards in my budgeting. Showed up for all my shifts, did all the tasks I had to do. Told the management this, and the General Manager did not even say anything. He came by our studio maybe twice in the 3 months I was there, and mostly stayed in the back office but expected us to sell, sell, sell.
Also the owners are all family related, the GM, the social media manager, opener etc. So it's actually pretty intimidating and the assumptions can vary a lot to workers and members.
Pros
Free workouts, clean space because you clean it.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, sketchy behind the scene Management
Fantastic workouts. Poorly run facility.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 July 2017
The main thing that kept me working with the company was the workouts.
The stress from being over worked (constantly working 15 plus days straight) and being understaffed became too much. The studio had about 2 SA's for 3 months and didn't seem to be in much rush to find new recruits.
You either did a task perfectly right, or it was wrong. So, 90% of the time no SA or staff member was ever up to the Owners expectations. Nothing was ever good enough. Very hard people to work for, not encouraging or worth it to work for them.
Pros
free membership
Cons
how it's run.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orangetheory Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.