Optimum Wellness Centres

Optimum Wellness Centres: 29 Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews

Really enjoyed my time here

This job is VERY stressful to learn, but extremely rewarding and enjoyable. I had no prior clinic experience which did not help. There is a lot to learn and you are expected to learn fast. Optimum offers a lot of support and training and patience to learn. Once you get the hang of it, it’s so fun. I have most always felt support and trust from management. It isn’t terribly difficult to get time off and they offer a benefits plan for fully time employee. It definitely varies from clinic to clinic. The busier clinics are a lot harder as they are fast paced. If you can meet that pace and enjoy quick thinking they’re perfect. The slower clinics are nice too. You get to know the patients well. The only issue that caused problems for me is often the practitioners do not understand how difficult it is to be a clinic assistant. They pay admin fees so often they treat you like a personal assistant, and forget that you manage multiple practitioners at once and have entirely separate job duties of your own. Expectations of you are high, but reasonable. The problem with the busier clinics is that the expectations of you are higher, but the pay is the same. Regardless, I think the pay is fair for the expectations. I feel respected and appreciated by optimum wellness centres and I would recommend working there.

Pros

Supportive staff, good benefits, fair pay

Cons

Higher than normal turnover, difficult to learn

Optimum

On top of the 60% therapists are payed. The head office takes a huge chunk out of our salary for admin and appointment fees. I understand that we get bookings through our admin, however if you're a therapist that does not see a lot of patients then it's a huge blow to your income. Head office seems to focus on their more established therapists than their new ones. Meaning, you'll probably sit in your massage room for 8 hours hoping that at least one patient comes in. Weeks with open schedules but head office does not give you the resources, nor book you with patients. Chiropractors and physio with full schedules. it seems like massage therapist have to start from zero. Thanks optimum for advertising the average salary of a massage therapist. Most of your therapist don't even make close to what you advertise. Other than that staff are friendly and encouraging.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Bad pay

Insights into Optimum Wellness Centres

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things

Do not recommend.

If you get a good clinic it’s an okay place to work. Dealing with head office is a nightmare. If I had known what I know now, I would never have started there.

Pros

Patients are amazing. Most practitioners are amazing.

Cons

Company doesn’t back you. Long hours. Not enough training provided.

Very professional organization

Extremely understanding management. They take care of you and cooperate in every way possible so you get a convenient and relaxed work atmosphere. The doctors and other staff are extremely understanding and helpful. Very ethical work environment. Once you are off work, you never receive calls or any other form of disturbance from work. A perfect work- life balance.

Pros

Monthly treats, coupons, Heath benefits, multiple locations for convenience

Not recommended

Stressful environment. Expected to do a million jobs in a small timeframe by yourself. “Help” was offered but never came through. Management acted like high school girls - if they didn’t like you , you’re screwed. Acknowledgement of doing a good job is rare.

Pros

Some people are nice

Cons

Zero respect and lazy front staff

I left this company as their pay structure was awful. I was the first Rapid NFR practitioner there and at the time I fought to get my technique paid for at a higher rate. It's there now but they refused at the time. The receptionist was lazy and back dated her work so I ended up losing well over $10k as well that I never got paid on.

Pros

They tend to book you solid

Cons

Almost everything

Stressful at first

Initially there was a lot to learn as a clinic assistant which was stressful. However, I slowly got the hang of it and it got better. There was a pretty good amount of support from head office for me.

Pros

Good Co-Workers

Cons

Complicated Job sometimes

under valued

They expect a lot with little reward. If you become ill, it is your responsibility to find coverage. If no coverage can be found, you must go into work or be penalized. This includes holiday time. Once you submit a holiday request, you need to start looking for coverage. If your time is approved, and coverage is not found, you are expected to work. The pay is not worth the amount of work and micro managing. You will be expected to work all over Calgary and surrounding areas (any place they have a clinic and coverage is needed).

Don't bother! Bad company culture, slow growth, and low pay

This company is constantly hiring for clinic locations that do not have an immediate need for a practitioner. You are expected to bring in clients on your own, which is very difficult when you are just starting to build your professional network at a new job. So unless you are bringing all of your previous clients with you, you will be struggling for a very long time. New grads especially need to be weary! You will not be making enough money to support yourself while working here, unless you happen to be taking over for a very busy practitioner who is leaving the company and all their previous clients. New grads will be charmed by the large size of this company and the promises made about rapidly growing your practice through all the wonderful opportunities that will be available to you. It's all a smoke screen! Their information nights and outreach events are poorly designed and carried out. Growth is very slow at this company, with very little tangible results. The established practitioners (who have been at the company 10+ years) are not collaborative or helpful to new practitioners - they see you as competition rather than as colleagues. There is also a lot of internal drama that you are not told about, until it somehow makes its way to you. When you ask head office for help/guidance to grow your client base or to deal with the drama you've walked into, you are not given any useful advice or tools. They will print you as many business materials as you want, but as far as mentoring or guidance - there is none. This company also has a high turnover rate - both practitioners -

Never a dull moment

Fast paced and challenging. Expect to think outside the box for problem solving and to handle billing and accounting at the clinic level. Client focused and customer service skills are required!

Working for free

When you sign on with this company, no one tells you , you will be seeing clients that are in lawsuits, and will be treating them for FREE till their court case settles. It could be 10 years before you see their settlement! Cheeky Front desk people will tell you, it's like a savings account and one day you will get this big cheque!! Doesn't pay my mortgage though does it?? They will also stagger your percentage. So you might start out with a higher percentage( they want to help you build your clientelle) and you do a ton of these Freebee clients (Irrevocable) at that rate, but when they finally pay you out, it will be be at your CURRENT percentage which might be lower as they can't seem to feed enough clients to you. All I can say, as well as anyone else I know who has worked there...is: DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!! RUN!!! FAR AWAY!!! You deserve a better work place, even if you are right out of school!! Plenty of places that will treat you right and pay you properly when you are NEW. I learned the hard way..Please..DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Great Opportunity For An RMT

Optimum has allowed me to have flexible hours and the ability to increase my knowledge by working in a multidisciplinary clinic. The head office team is very helpful and will go out of their way to assist you! I would absolutely recommend working for Optimum as an RMT!

Even if you are starting out, you can do better than Optimum.

Their employment contract is over 80 pages of legalese and says if you create anything during your employment it belongs to Optimum. I've never received such a low monthly wage (yes they pay monthly) as when I worked for Optimum, and they seem to count on a revolving door of therapists. After three months of negotiating they still can't tell me if they sent a cheque to me last year or when they will pay the balance of what they owe me from when I worked there 3 years ago. I wonder if they count on frustrating their massage therapists to such a degree that the therapist gives up so Optimum can subsume the profits? It seems there is growing consent in the massage therapy community that Optimum is not a fair or caring employer.

Practitioner or Clinic Assistant - Pass on this Opportunity

Working with your immediate team is great because usually your team is very understandable and positive, encouraging and supportive. (This of course depends on which location you are at.) Management, however, is another story. With high turnover, condescending emails and aggressive micromanagement, this money-hungry company does not put patients first and in fact only focuses on trying to fit as many practitioners under one roof, even if there is quite literally no room. Each role in management focuses on busying themselves with tasks that aren't pertinent to the daily runnings of the clinic, but are more so focused on unnecessary busy body tasks to self validate their earnings for their paycheques. Management spends more time online shopping than they do dealing with issues at the clinic level. Poor communication is an understatement and very often changes will be made that directly affect patients, practitioners and the clinics without any notice whatsoever. Management will replace you in your role, because it's easier to hire someone than to take ownership for their faults. Lack of communication is to be expected regularly from all members of management. If proper staff training was given, the margin of error would be much less, however this company believes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. Don't expect much training, if any, and do expect to get thrown in and know how to properly run a clinic. When you need help, other team-members are the proper source, because not only does management not know what is going on, but they will ignore your calls/texts/emails -

Pros

Part time and full time employees get a health spending account (up to $600/annually for full-time)

Cons

Management, Lack of Communication, Money-Hungry, Poor Staff Treatment

Great Team of People

Great team of people working at Optimum. I have had great experiences with both practitioners and head office staff. There is a lot of flexibility when you work at Optimum and this gives you a great way to start in building a practice.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

None that I can think of

Great Culture

-Flexible hours -Accommodating schedule -Great training so you can confidently preform your duties -Strong head office team -Great communication -Opportunities to grow -Very rewarding to work in this industry

Love working here

Optimum Wellness Centres really cares about their employees and will go above and beyond to ensure they succeed. Their expectations are very clear and they provide you with the tools and training to preform your job to the best of your ability.

Rewarding place to work

Working for Optimum Wellness Centres has been extremely rewarding. Everyday you feel that you are helping people and making a difference in their lives. Nothing is more rewarding than that! If you're looking for an opportunity to be challenged and grow, this company will change your life.

Garbage company

All they care about it making money. They do not care about their employees whatsoever. I worked in a clinic where I was there 9.5 hours a day and only got paid for 7.5 because the chiropractor takes a 3 hour break in the middle of the day. The head office barely trains you and then you are subsequently berated if you do something wrong. Known for a high turnover in staff as they do not treat their employees well. If your clinic is not busy your hours get cut despite it not being the receptionists fault. They dont care about their employees, do not work here.

Not an enjoyable or encouraging place to work

Reputation for staff turnover. All show and no substance. Employees tend to not socialize and look miserable all day. No direction, just criticism.

Excellent opportunities for those willing to put in the work

Do what you love, love what you do. If you put in the work and are truly passionate about your field, the opportunities within Optimum are endless. The culture and atmosphere are upbeat and positive, the team environment encourages growth. The more you become involved, the more you will learn - from how you choose to practice, to how to run a business, and everything in between. There are plenty of opportunities for mentorship, and systems in place for assistance on everything from marketing to bookkeeping to techniques. Don't expect patients/clients to magically walk through the door, but with the guidance of experienced practitioners, a thriving practice is attainable and you will be rewarded for the work that you put in.

Pros

Positive workplace, team environment, ability to work your way up

Cons

Long hours when you start off and aren't too busy, but if you use that time to build your practice, it pays off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optimum Wellness Centres. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement