OpenText

OpenText Employee Reviews

Canada107 reviews

acquisitiontextbalanceopensalaryculturelifecareer

Associate Product Support Specialist - Review

Work is not challenging if you have learnt everything which takes 2 weeks at most.Management is good. Company Policies are very much different than our department policies. They change the expectations daily as they are not sure what they want which creates a very stressful environment. One of the department has a very weird policy.

Pros

Other Departments have a free environment but try avoiding Associate Product Support Specialist Role, It will be very stressful just similar to a call center environment.

Cons

No Salary Increment, Same Type of work, Call center environment which does not fall under OpenText, which is creating wrong impression for company.

Self confidence harmed

What is the best part of working at the company?The best part about working in OpenText were the benefits and office environment .What is the most stressful part about working at the company?I was harassed and bullied by other co worker and it took to much to make the person stop. When o started I felt the department was mess with no strong leadership.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Overall it is a good work environment, lots of office perks and opportunities to do networking.

Insights into OpenText

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Worst experience of my professional career.

What is the best part of working at the company?The pay is good. Definitely competitive and way over comparable companies. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The culture is terrible. Terrible corporate culture likely impacted by a micromanaging CEO who runs a Waterloo based company from California. Pay is high but bonuses are non-existent. Vacation is not protected and you could be asked to change scheduled vacation if a project you are working on changes it’s date. Little care about work life balance or employee wellnessWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Absolutely terrible. Micromanagers. Too many leaders. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Stress, lack of support and toxic employees.

OpenText acquires companies and lays off people esp. immigrants

It's a bizzare company, they hire you taking 2-3 months then they lay you off coz they made a stupid acquisition that they couldn't budget properly. Making mockery of people's career.

Cons

CEO and management don't think about workforce

Where careers go to die

Salary isn't great, but annual increases are worse and do not keep pace with cost of living.Return to office has lead to skilled employees going elsewhere. Recent acquisition caused 2000 layoffs.Morale is poor, but senior management wants group managers to be cheer leaders for RTO policy, even if they don't believe in it themselves.Potential for advancement is low, since there is no cross functional training or mentorship, and requirements for most jobs exceed skills required by a wide margin.Most new technical hiring is being conducted in India and the Philippines to reduce costs.

Pros

Jobs are stable and for most competant employees, the prospect of layoffs are low. Work life balance is fair

Cons

Dead end jobs, corporate culture of being ineffective/uncooperative, low pay.

ADE = A Dysfunctional Employer

Run!! Look elsewhere and save yourself the stress. Underpaid and overworked. If applying for ECS ADE role, ask if the manager is in Michigan. If not run!!

Pros

Free Coffee

Cons

US counterparts have a higher salary; even before exchange

Lots of opportunity to explore

The company has lots to offer! For someone who loves challenge, this company has lots. Like any other company, this too has flaws. As you will be dealing with people on a global scale, different personalities and traits. In my first few months with the company, I came across with employees who are rude, unprofessional, and think so highly of themselves! But my boss is great and that's what matters!

It’s ok

Working at OpenText is okay - a solid 3/5. It’s a very corporate environment with lots of levels of middle management and at least in Renewals, very little room for autonomy;you can’t sneeze without having to get an approval from your manager). Renewals is a good foot in the door but I wouldn’t consider it a long term career path as it’s definitely a grind and can wear you down. The Waterloo office is in a beautiful area surrounded by nature but I feel the interior of the office is pretty grey and depressing. They do have a great on-site cafeteria that makes fresh food everyday and has a rotating menu that changes daily. Benefits are quite good and there is an RRSP match (though the match isn’t as high as other places I’ve worked).

Great learning opportunities

I was hired for a brand new job category and was able to make it my own. I learned a lot and there were growth opportunities presented to me. I felt supported and worked with some fantastic teams. It was only a disappointment to be laid off due to the first wave of the pandemic. Overall, great scope of work and people, definitely the PEOPLE!

Great Company to work for

Great company to work for. Amazing culture. Amazing people, specially managers are great. Best company in waterloo area to work for. I would recommend it.

I really enjoy working at Open Text. I get alot of support and encouragement from my manager as well as co-workers. Benefits are awesome. Work life balance is very flexible.

Great place to work, fast-paced

Great place to work, many opportunities to learn and apply your knowledge, management trust in your work where you feel rewarded, global co-workers from all places, great knowledgeable colleagues willing to help you get up to speed, education allowance , fast-paced workplace, great benefits.

Pros

great benefits, excellent place to learn, collaborative culture

Cons

long working hours, on-call schedule, no job security

avoid if you have other option

Poorly managed company, avoid if you have other options. One of the worst companies I worked in my career. Working culture is bad, lots of politics.

Pros

Waterloo location

Cons

open space environment, hard to concentrate due to level of noise around

Not for everyone

Be prepared to hit the ground running. They do not tolerate coasting. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. Some departments pay well and some do not so it'll depend on what you're looking for.

It's a good place to work, the CEO does care about the employees

Enjoyable work environment, more of a collaborative environment. Offices are nice to work in. They say that they want to promote from within, but I see that this us lacking.

It's a sweatshop, intense micro mgmt and workload

I left for greener pastures and happy to see the back of it. Intense micro mgmt, a sweat shop. Zero work life balance. Expect to spend 7 hrs a day just in meetings where nothing gets done and total waste of time and productivity. Expect to spend 10 hrs a day easily

work life balance is the best,permanent work from homeincrease is somewhat decent

good company to work, not to busy yet not to free. good for starters a lot to of opportunity to learn. good colleague comfortable office and good benefits

Pros

salary, worklife balance

Cons

career advancement

Toxic work environment, only accept if you have no other alternative.

Supporting glitchy,faulty, and unstable legacy software. Selfish culture, every one for himself, and every one wants you to fail. No training materials and KB is utterly useless.Favoritism is rampant.

Pros

Health benefits.

Cons

Over all it is deplorable, incompetent, and bureaucratic. Extremely intense workload, this cannot be overstated. No work life balance, workloads are beyond unmanageable. Manager is technically speaking incompetent, and doesn't know what his team is doing. Unnecessary, useless, time wasting, and disruptive meetings, where the objective of the team members is theatrics. Micromanagement is everywhere.

Really huge and slooow company.They don't care about ppl.

good company for a temporary work.Big with some "culture", but you cannot improve anything, they are big and they care only about metrics.you can ask for some tools months, years... they don't care

Pros

stable

Cons

too much work, not fair pay, not enough stuff.

So far, very impressed

Changing jobs in the midst of a pandemic was a potentially disastrous endeavor, but OpenText made it a good experience and has to be the most supportive company I have ever worked at. The on-boarding process was very well managed, I never felt like I was expected to "just know" everything; I was assigned a mentor to guide me through everything I needed to learn about the company, and even after a complete release cycle, my mentor continues to check in with me to ensure I feel confident in my role. Benefits are great, so far the culture feels very collaborative. OpenText is a company that adapts to change well from what I see. My role is permanently remote as the company has learned in recent years that people can be, and are productive from their home office.

Pros

Permanently remote work; good salary, good hours, excellent benefits, very friendly and helpful colleagues

Cons

IT support is sometimes slow

Fun workplace and collaborative environment

Great people to work with, associates and colleagues are willing to share their knowledge, great culture, people are empowered and engaged. Great team work.

Pros

Flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OpenText. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement