OpenText

Insights into OpenText

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Not for everyone

Be prepared to hit the ground running. They do not tolerate coasting. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. Some departments pay well and some do not so it'll depend on what you're looking for.

avoid if you have other option

Poorly managed company, avoid if you have other options. One of the worst companies I worked in my career. Working culture is bad, lots of politics.

Pros

Waterloo location

Cons

open space environment, hard to concentrate due to level of noise around

It's a good place to work, the CEO does care about the employees

Enjoyable work environment, more of a collaborative environment. Offices are nice to work in. They say that they want to promote from within, but I see that this us lacking.

It's a sweatshop, intense micro mgmt and workload

I left for greener pastures and happy to see the back of it. Intense micro mgmt, a sweat shop. Zero work life balance. Expect to spend 7 hrs a day just in meetings where nothing gets done and total waste of time and productivity. Expect to spend 10 hrs a day easily

work life balance is the best,permanent work from homeincrease is somewhat decent

good company to work, not to busy yet not to free. good for starters a lot to of opportunity to learn. good colleague comfortable office and good benefits

Pros

salary, worklife balance

Cons

career advancement

Toxic work environment, only accept if you have no other alternative.

Supporting glitchy,faulty, and unstable legacy software. Selfish culture, every one for himself, and every one wants you to fail. No training materials and KB is utterly useless.Favoritism is rampant.

Pros

Health benefits.

Cons

Over all it is deplorable, incompetent, and bureaucratic. Extremely intense workload, this cannot be overstated. No work life balance, workloads are beyond unmanageable. Manager is technically speaking incompetent, and doesn't know what his team is doing. Unnecessary, useless, time wasting, and disruptive meetings, where the objective of the team members is theatrics. Micromanagement is everywhere.

Really huge and slooow company.They don't care about ppl.

good company for a temporary work.Big with some "culture", but you cannot improve anything, they are big and they care only about metrics.you can ask for some tools months, years... they don't care

Pros

stable

Cons

too much work, not fair pay, not enough stuff.

So far, very impressed

Changing jobs in the midst of a pandemic was a potentially disastrous endeavor, but OpenText made it a good experience and has to be the most supportive company I have ever worked at. The on-boarding process was very well managed, I never felt like I was expected to "just know" everything; I was assigned a mentor to guide me through everything I needed to learn about the company, and even after a complete release cycle, my mentor continues to check in with me to ensure I feel confident in my role. Benefits are great, so far the culture feels very collaborative. OpenText is a company that adapts to change well from what I see. My role is permanently remote as the company has learned in recent years that people can be, and are productive from their home office.

Pros

Permanently remote work; good salary, good hours, excellent benefits, very friendly and helpful colleagues

Cons

IT support is sometimes slow

Fun workplace and collaborative environment

Great people to work with, associates and colleagues are willing to share their knowledge, great culture, people are empowered and engaged. Great team work.

Pros

Flexibility

Terrible place to work. Gain your experience and then leave quickly

Go there, get your experience and leave quickly. Terrible place to work. Terrible culture, management is horrible. Cliques are part of the culture and if you are not part of one, you are an outsider and will find it hard to work there. The company has a value as a great place to work but it took away any good benefits. The semi-yearly reorg also causes a toxic culture. The worst employees are not the ones who are let go. The ones who don’t have strong alliances to their managers are let go. The CEO is also the worst. Self absorbed person who has no management skills whatsoever. I5 doesn’t take a genius to reduce costs by reducing headcount. Anyone can do that. OT reports on revenue which obviously goes up as they acquire companies. What they don’t report on is like for like numbers because those are declining rapidly.

Pros

Good work, life balance

Cons

Everything listed above. Decent beginning salary but yearly increases are a major disappointment

Great people great work environment

Just a great place to work, clean work environment most offices have free coffee and some sort of cafeteria or close by shops. Great work life balance and we’re good on flex hours and work from home. Very progressive company that often looks out for employees.

Pros

Flexible work environment, great in office work environment, free coffee, good support from management

Tales of the two cities

I can see why some people highly praise OT while someone else hated it, all depends on are you hired in core / real open text or one of the new acquisitions. I came from some kind of start up / incubator from a large bank, so the experience is almost de ja vu -- you will have a blast of joy if you are in one of the more successful business unit, while you might spent most of your 40 hours looking for a new gig if you keep stuck in the failure ones and rinse-clean-repeat. I am hired in one of the new acquisitions, and lucks out since my team and managers are nice and they have a good culture (carry over before OT days); product, legacy for sure, but still have potentials and the product team is willing to change, so all good.I hope this will help new / future colleagues, set you expectation right -- OT is both a traditional company and a mid-life startup with success, and neither, so your mileage will vary -- make sure you got everything you want to know in your interview, culture or whatever matters to you. Compensation is market average, for sure not shopify / FANG / uber level, but good enough for me and hopefully you too.One thing I raise an eye brow on is you are not illegible for internal transfer in your first 18 months -- 18 months is a long in this time and day in this industry, likely people will move on shorter than that.

Pros

Good culture, even for a big / traditional dinosaur like OT

Cons

a bit slow on moving around the company

Work culture is good, not a stressful, teamwork, above average performance can get you better position. Work life balance. A lit of entertainment. Sports and other activities could be done during lunch break. Flexible time.

Great working environment.

Best place to work, no micro managing, positive atmosphere, good work ethic, inclusive, innovation welcomed, management great, high tech tools, flexible work hours, work from home....

Pros

Positive atmosphere

Cons

High education requirement

The new Sinking Berry

Typical day at work - you do everything in double because there is not enough people in the team or they are so junior. What you learned - don't matter you do and get maximum score in the evaluations you will always receive and excuse for raises and promotions. If they do like like you will make your life miserable to try you quit or put you in probation to do not pay severance , even demote you. Management - if you are really an incompetent and love micromanagement guy, hunt people, and is a yes sir ... that is your place to apply for a job. Workplace culture - CEO crazy for acquire more and more companies even if the company debt increase, because he can cut your RRSP match, reduce your salary, layoff very good people and make you double the double or the triple, and if you don't smile after that is an enemy. The hardest part of the job - See the management doing everything upside down and the company sinking. Sooner who buy stocks will have a surprise. The company is imploding and losing excellent employees because of the administration, and HR is conniving with the situation laying and covering the administration. The most enjoyable part of the job - See the management hitting heads and bent rules to try lay off people just because they are afraid you take their positions . Also they try to hire people senior employees paying junior salaries and convince you that your new backup colleague will decrease your load. Management convince you that you lost benefits and is not demoted. The company is no longer what it was, people are sad and stressed, talking -

Pros

It was a wonderful company

Cons

They are sinking by the Administration and Management, benefits cuts, demotion, no raise, no promotion, no training, stress and toxic environment, liar management, freezes every time, no career path

OpenText job

A good employer overall. My immediate manager was excellent, she really takes care of her team. I always knew what to do and what my deadlines were, which took all the stress out of the job.

I have technically accomplished new security skills with respect to hacking. Culture of work is managed in proper way Official & Personal life balanced well

Productive fast paced

Good company and people. pay is reasonable but raises are rare. Office is very nice, good cafeteria. The grounds outside are nice for walking Benefits are excellent

Good work envoirnment with lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

Great company to work for. Good work life balance. Office hours are 9 to 5 and generally I was not required to work late. The team at open text was very supportive and for any issue, you can go to any one in the team.

Good people to work with

The people at OpenText are generally awesome to work with. Generally our customers are also pretty awesome to work with. Benefits are good, salary is okay.

Good place to wrok

fast paced environment typical of a software company, with appropriate work life balance. IT and engineering focused. employees must have ability to multi task, as the company is an acquisition based environment and enw technologies are on-boarded.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OpenText. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement