Ontario Tech University logo
Ontario Tech University

Ontario Tech University Management reviews

Canada110 reviews

Clear

A place for personal and professional growth

The work environment could be described as high-stress at times, as being a teaching assistant involves marking a lot of papers/tests in a short amount of time. In this particular faculty, those in management roles were very understanding and collaborative. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling supported in my initiatives/ideas, as well as talking directly to students who sought help from you. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with a lot of different personalities, but certainly NOT to a level that caused an overall negative experience. The benefits are great and there are opportunities to advance to other jobs at this workplace.

Depends on the department/faculty

- Lots of toxic behaviours that are enabled- Nepotism is high- If you are of a specific gender, race, age and or relationship with management than you have more access and promotion- Some management are unskilled and use their title and position to hide their incompetence.- Great people that work there however they are frustrated with lack of growth, recognition and the oppressive tactics- University has brought Oshawa a lot of opportunities and image management but leadership is weak, insecure, controlling and toxic.

Pros

Puts Oshawa on the map; great salary and benefits; opportunity to affect change

Cons

Leadership is weak, toxic and focused on maintaining power and brand image; staff are manipulated and frustrated

Trustworthy and Fun work environment

Everyone is very nice, understanding and trustworthy. They are very outgoing, supportive and friendly. I learned about work etiquette and improved my management and communications skills.

Productive and a fun environment

Very comfortable and enjoyable. I enjoy working and helping students to excel in their courses. It is a fun and dynamic environment. The management is very collaborative and helps me enhance my communication, team work, and problem solving skills.

Management is very supportive

I enjoy teaching at UOIT as the students are very studious and the management is very cooperative. The campus is very nice yet parking can be challenging at times.

Good job to have while at school

A typical day would consist of helping students find research for papers and showing them proper editing techniques for their writing. The staff made it easy to manage work and school. If any last minute issues arose and I was not able to attend work, management was very helpful and understanding. It was also very rewarding knowing that the help you gave students was beneficial for them.

Rewarding work

The work was interesting and challenging. Unfortunately, workplace culture was compromised by poor management forcing people to move on. Other than that particular department, most people were enjoyable to work with. Government cuts have forced staffing cutbacks and workloads are extremely high at the moment.

Flexible workplace while studying

Great work environment as a student, the hours were extremely flexible and fit around my school schedule. I enjoyed being able to work on my own and developed skills in time management and report writing.

Productive, supportive place of employment

Working for UOIT was a great experience all around. Staff and management are friendly and willing to help. The atmosphere was always positive.

A growing university with wonderful work environment

The research and teaching environment is focused and strongly emphasized, yet the people are amazing. I can't say I felt any overbearing competition throughout my experience; all the competition with my fellow colleagues was in good nature and encouraging, rather than restrictive. The university is still growing so the labs may not offer the top notch level equipment but there is an excellent sense of responsibility and drive to do with what you have (also the gym and all the extra-curricular activities are a plus). It was amazing to make all sorts of projects and see how they grow as a result of student involvement. Supervising and teaching the students was excellent too; everyone is respectful, devoted, and curious, so it was exciting to help them on their way to success. Most of my experience for engineering comes from school, the projects, and the people that helped me either through teaching or acquiring knowledge themselves. I can't say that there were no challenges: sometimes working late was necessary, finding necessary equipment (sometimes second-hand), and competing things neatly could be difficult (primarily due to lack of some equipment, software, or immense qualifications that I did not have). Nonetheless, the experience was worthwhile because the management was to the point and supportive throughout.

Pros

Access to gym, events, volunteer experience, involvement with research

Cons

lack of equipment, late hours

Jobs at Ontario Tech University

See more jobs

Great for experience

Best place to work at, great people and great atmosphere. IT was easy to adjust and the management was super nice and understanding of your work and school.

great place to work

nice and easy going day teaching good management great co-workers dealing with students students succeeding

Great School, Great Teachers, Technologically Advanced

I go to school everyday, where classes run from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm depending on the scheduling of the courses you are registered for. I gained the knowledge on the fundamentals of engineering, and project management, as well as various other soft skills. Other students at the university are easy to get along with, and are eager to help each other to pursue higher goals. The hardest part of going to this school is the 40 minute commute each morning, and occasionally the lack of study spaces. The most enjoyable part of attending this university is the student life and culture of the various people I have encountered throughout my education.

Pros

Occasional free lunch provided by administration, Excellent lab facilities, Encouraging faculty members

Cons

Occasional long hours, 4 of 5 days a week (8am - 10pm)

Empresa sólida com ambiente receptivo

A empresa possui uma estrutura de cargos e funções bem distribuída, que facilita o empenho dos colaboradores. Ao longo do dia, havia muita troca de informações entre os membros da equipe e a coordenação das atividades se dava ao fim de cada turno. Os colegas de trabalho são cooperativos e abertos a novas ideias. A parte mais difícil do trabalho consiste em gerenciar os prazos de montagem em função do tempo de entrega das peças pelos fornecedores. O que mais agrada é a flexibilidade de funções e horários, bem como a direção amistosa da empresa.

Needs improvement

Young university that needs to improve on many levels. Administrative problems are a constant hindrance to productivity. Although described as an IT based university its IT infrastructures and policies are outdated and complicate daily tasks.

Pros

Cons

Un-experienced administrators

Productive workplace with plenty of room

Typical day- arrive at work- check email- attend meetings, if any- work on projectsLearned some PHP, and Drupal for some of the projects, as well as time management