Ontario Tech University logo
Ontario Tech University

Ontario Tech University Employee Reviews

Canada110 reviews

A good place to work

Working with the students and faculty gives a purpose to what you do. It is a good place to work. With good benefits and good life work balance you can grow.

Depends on the department/faculty

- Lots of toxic behaviours that are enabled- Nepotism is high- If you are of a specific gender, race, age and or relationship with management than you have more access and promotion- Some management are unskilled and use their title and position to hide their incompetence.- Great people that work there however they are frustrated with lack of growth, recognition and the oppressive tactics- University has brought Oshawa a lot of opportunities and image management but leadership is weak, insecure, controlling and toxic.

Pros

Puts Oshawa on the map; great salary and benefits; opportunity to affect change

Cons

Leadership is weak, toxic and focused on maintaining power and brand image; staff are manipulated and frustrated

Good university to study and work at

Ontario Tech University is a good medium sized university with decent faculty. The course choices are limited but overall it is satisfactory. The TA/RA salary/funding is decent as well.

Productive, lot's to learn

Meeting with instructors, understanding course deliverables, learned to manage classes, very professional work culture, enjoyable experience, connecting with students, professors, building network

Volunteer

I just volunteered at Ontario Tech, and it was a great experience. I got to use technology I wasnt familiar with, and help persuade kids to pursue STEM careers.

A place for personal and professional growth

The work environment could be described as high-stress at times, as being a teaching assistant involves marking a lot of papers/tests in a short amount of time. In this particular faculty, those in management roles were very understanding and collaborative. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling supported in my initiatives/ideas, as well as talking directly to students who sought help from you. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with a lot of different personalities, but certainly NOT to a level that caused an overall negative experience. The benefits are great and there are opportunities to advance to other jobs at this workplace.

Great experience and nice people

Great experience and friendly people; however, the pay is not comparative to the estimated work estimation and effort. I recommend working for the experience though as it helps personal and professional growth.

Productive, professional workplace

Unpaid position as a research assistant. However, great workplace culture. Able to learn a great deal of research skills as a research assistant that can lead to graduate opportunities

Pros

Lots of learning

Cons

Plenty of learning possibilities and intellectually stimulating environment

UOIT is a welcoming and inclusive community of creative and supportive professionals. UOIT life is filled with career-oriented, knowledge sharing and social get together events and numerous opportunities to learn new skills.

Great Place with Great People

During my work with Ontario Tech University I experienced much joy and little stress. The salary wasn't amazing, but the environment was greatly appreciated.

Jobs at Ontario Tech University

See more jobs

Trustworthy and Fun work environment

Everyone is very nice, understanding and trustworthy. They are very outgoing, supportive and friendly. I learned about work etiquette and improved my management and communications skills.

Good place to grow and learn

Overall a fun and rewarding opportunity to help teach budding NITS students The campus itself is relatively peaceful when compared to larger universities which is really nice

Productive and a fun environment

Very comfortable and enjoyable. I enjoy working and helping students to excel in their courses. It is a fun and dynamic environment. The management is very collaborative and helps me enhance my communication, team work, and problem solving skills.

Management is very supportive

I enjoy teaching at UOIT as the students are very studious and the management is very cooperative. The campus is very nice yet parking can be challenging at times.

Good Culture, No Opportunities

The university has a great youthful culture, but unfortunately most positions are filled internally and even if you are able to become an internal applicant, there is likely someone slotted for the position, very little room for growth or upward career paths.

Ok

Political environment. Slow decision making. Fun poeple and collegues. There is no career path nor compensation for exceeding expentations. Anual review has no impact therefore there is no incentive to do more as there is no need to do much.

i like it

i like it a lot very flexible hours and fun job, great experience and co workers. need to apply through school campus portal, flexible if you need extra money good pay.

A great place to work

A great employer to work for, great work lenvironment, work-life balance is maintained. Positive work environment, would work there again if opportune.

productive and fun

This is a university and therefore direct work experience is moot. I will however mention that it was a great source of both hard and soft skills and contributed a lot to my growth.

Productive and communal atmosphere

I felt that working at Ontario Tech University was overall a very positive experience. Typically days at work were focused and our team was able to accomplish the tasks we had set out to achieve. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the engineering professors and receiving helpful and knowledgeable input.

Pros

workplace culture

Teaching Assistant

While completing my Master's degree, I Conducted tutorials and labs for undergraduate students. It's a decent job that gives you confidence in presenting in front of people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Tech University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4