Ontario Tech University

Ontario Tech University: 115 Employee Reviews

Canada115 reviews

ontariouniversityprofessorstudentfacultyteachingassistantcontract

Great team to work in!

During my 8 months as a peer tutor I learned a lot about how a formal job/company work in general. Furth more improved my communication skills and teaching techniques. Most importantly I was given the chance to guide other students in 1st and 2nd year to help them out with hard to learn and understand concepts and courses. I considered it as my time to help other students back, the same I got help through peer tutors in my 1st and 2nd years. All thanks to the student learning center at Ontario Tech University for carrying out this great program.

Enjoyable place to work at with nice employees. The atmosphere is cool and if you need any help they will always accommodate for you. They host lots of events as well for employees and students too.

Insights into Ontario Tech University

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Great - if you can get hired on as full time

Contract work means no benefits, no sick days, no security, and being sure that your position is in jeopardy if you take a day off.No training, and any errors are treated like you care a stupid toddler instead of as teaching / learning opportunities.Direct supervisors talk down to you, many faculty treat you like garbage.

Pros

None for contract employees

Cons

No security, low pay, no sick days

Great Place to Work

I had a good overall experience working here. Good pay and benefits. Got to work on a lot of fun projects with different faculties, and had access to the best equipment and software.

Great place to work for Students wile studying.

I worked as an I.T. Service Desk Assistant for four years while I was a student at the University. I was responsible for maintaining inventory reports of student and faculty laptops and computer related supplies, verified information for accuracy on all shipping of IT product. I was also reasonable for various data entry tasks as well as inventory and reporting of received product with all backup documentation. This job had a great work life balance that was necessary for a student. My co-workers where amazing and helpful and made the work environment a great place to be in. I have never felt more happier with a job. The only downside was that this was a contract student only position.

Pros

Amazing work life balance, Great people to work with.

Depends on the department/faculty

- Lots of toxic behaviours that are enabled- Nepotism is high- If you are of a specific gender, race, age and or relationship with management than you have more access and promotion- Some management are unskilled and use their title and position to hide their incompetence.- Great people that work there however they are frustrated with lack of growth, recognition and the oppressive tactics- University has brought Oshawa a lot of opportunities and image management but leadership is weak, insecure, controlling and toxic.

Pros

Puts Oshawa on the map; great salary and benefits; opportunity to affect change

Cons

Leadership is weak, toxic and focused on maintaining power and brand image; staff are manipulated and frustrated

A good place to work

Working with the students and faculty gives a purpose to what you do. It is a good place to work. With good benefits and good life work balance you can grow.

Good university to study and work at

Ontario Tech University is a good medium sized university with decent faculty. The course choices are limited but overall it is satisfactory. The TA/RA salary/funding is decent as well.

Productive, lot's to learn

Meeting with instructors, understanding course deliverables, learned to manage classes, very professional work culture, enjoyable experience, connecting with students, professors, building network

Volunteer

I just volunteered at Ontario Tech, and it was a great experience. I got to use technology I wasnt familiar with, and help persuade kids to pursue STEM careers.

A place for personal and professional growth

The work environment could be described as high-stress at times, as being a teaching assistant involves marking a lot of papers/tests in a short amount of time. In this particular faculty, those in management roles were very understanding and collaborative. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeling supported in my initiatives/ideas, as well as talking directly to students who sought help from you. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with a lot of different personalities, but certainly NOT to a level that caused an overall negative experience. The benefits are great and there are opportunities to advance to other jobs at this workplace.

Great experience and nice people

Great experience and friendly people; however, the pay is not comparative to the estimated work estimation and effort. I recommend working for the experience though as it helps personal and professional growth.

Productive, professional workplace

Unpaid position as a research assistant. However, great workplace culture. Able to learn a great deal of research skills as a research assistant that can lead to graduate opportunities

Pros

Lots of learning

Cons

Plenty of learning possibilities and intellectually stimulating environment

UOIT is a welcoming and inclusive community of creative and supportive professionals. UOIT life is filled with career-oriented, knowledge sharing and social get together events and numerous opportunities to learn new skills.

Great Place with Great People

During my work with Ontario Tech University I experienced much joy and little stress. The salary wasn't amazing, but the environment was greatly appreciated.

Trustworthy and Fun work environment

Everyone is very nice, understanding and trustworthy. They are very outgoing, supportive and friendly. I learned about work etiquette and improved my management and communications skills.

Good place to grow and learn

Overall a fun and rewarding opportunity to help teach budding NITS students The campus itself is relatively peaceful when compared to larger universities which is really nice

Productive and a fun environment

Very comfortable and enjoyable. I enjoy working and helping students to excel in their courses. It is a fun and dynamic environment. The management is very collaborative and helps me enhance my communication, team work, and problem solving skills.

Management is very supportive

I enjoy teaching at UOIT as the students are very studious and the management is very cooperative. The campus is very nice yet parking can be challenging at times.

Good Culture, No Opportunities

The university has a great youthful culture, but unfortunately most positions are filled internally and even if you are able to become an internal applicant, there is likely someone slotted for the position, very little room for growth or upward career paths.

Ok

Political environment. Slow decision making. Fun poeple and collegues. There is no career path nor compensation for exceeding expentations. Anual review has no impact therefore there is no incentive to do more as there is no need to do much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Tech University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement