Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences

Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Negative culture, poor management, poor patient focus
allied health (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 June 2018
When I started at Ontario Shores, I felt proud to join an organization that spoke of being recovery oriented and committed to healthy work environment for staff. I saw high turnover rates from the start and watched people get 'walked out' for mysterious reasons every few months.
I had a new manager every year- none knew the nature of my profession and did not take interest in learning. So personal and professional growth is very difficult. Communication from management tended to be negative in focus-- very little positive feedback which fostered more negative environment among staff.
Workplace culture overall was quite negative. Workplace bullying/toxicity is definitely not addressed and disrespect between staff is commonplace.
I often felt conflicted by treatment approaches toward patients-- not patient focused or recovery focused most of the time. It was draining. Wanting to work to help patients and feeling they weren't being treated as a whole person-- the values seemed more like signs on the wall than something that they ensured was practiced every day.
Pros
The patients; salary
Cons
toxic dynamics; management; not patient-focused
RN Student (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 May 2018
Great place to work. The culture is diverse and friendly.
Staff willing to help with learning opportunities.
Management is engaged with staff and well respected.
Overall, a positive workplace experience.
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON10 January 2018
Coworkers were supportive and there was team cohesiveness. Management was approachable and appeared genuinely interested fostering a safer and quality environment for staff and patients.
not as great as it seems
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 October 2017
i was hired on a contract basis for 8 months which was cut short 4 months in due to restructuring. Makes zero sense when my boss was offering me a contract extension for another 12 months and the money was there.
I wasnt actually costing the department any $ since i was paid through a third party for my salary
Management very backwards thinking
good client care
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 October 2017
a fairly young organization since divesting from the government in 2006. Still experiencing a lot of growing pains but has achieved great things for the clients as a direct commentary to the dedication of the front line staff
Pros
beautiful location; free access to the on-site gym
Recovery is our main goal
Staffing Clerk (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 September 2017
I really enjoy working here and staffs are friendly and professional. Managers are very practical and very good on saving overtime that they have float nurses working here. I love using the free gym and I love my job.
Pros
free access to the gym
Cons
nothing
Fulfilling workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 August 2017
Working at Ontario Shores, Centre for Mental Health Sciences was an eye opening and fulfilling experience. Yes, the position was demanding and required multitasking and attention to detail, but the workplace environment was definitely one to remember.
Pros
Great staff
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 April 2017
Enjoyed my time with the staff and clients. I would love to return. I spent time learning many new skills and saw that all staff treated each other with respect.
Pros
Excellent team work
Cons
Na
Friendly and pleasant work environment
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Research and Academics27 March 2017
Lovely place to work, many diverse job opportunities. I enjoyed my placement at Ontario Shores it has many great programs to take part in, including weekly Grand Rounds.
Excellent Place to work
IT Support Student (Former Employee) –  Student9 March 2017
I was in the IT Department as a student and I enjoyed every bit of it. It was a very enjoyable place to work. Very planned and organized organization with amazing management.
Great Place
Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 February 2017
As a nurse it is a great place to work, obviously it has its risks,
(it is a mental health facility) but it really is wonderful.

The management cares about numbers (To be far all places do.. it's healthcare). However, when compared to other facilities it is well run and stable. Patient loads are very fair.

RPN's and RN's pretty much do the same job and you wont be able to tell who is who unless you ask. The culture is great, older nurses have their cliques which can be hard to break into, but you will eventually. Lovely team, nurses don't eat their young here!

A great place!
Pros
Great team, stable, beautiful grounds, good patient ratios.
Cons
Drama, budget focused.
Great staff to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 September 2016
Would recommend this company to future nurses, downfall for myself was that I had alot of personal things occuring in my life and found this place to not a proper fit for my lifestyle
Cut throat
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON30 August 2016
Not a good place to work!! It's all about appearance to the outside management is disorganized and couldn't care less about the employees. People get walked out or laid off often no job is secure except upper management which is overloaded. Patient care is not good as programs are cut prices go up for coffee etc. I wouldn't recommend working at ontario shores!
Pros
Cons
Bad environment very stressful
Toxic work environment
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 July 2016
The team I worked with was fabulous. However don't feel the organization is managed well at the Senior management level. Programs are not well thought out. They start programs and dismantle them without giving them a chance. Every year they have staff layoffs but they continue to create more senior management levels. These actions have had serious repercussions for patients. Every year we fear losing our jobs. There is a real lack of transparency from Senior Management. They spend millions of dollars for reviews by KPMG which result in major cuts in services. It is a very toxic environment to work in. This is a time where we should be investing in the mental health of our communities but all we see is cuts in services at Ontario shores while they pad the senior management level.

Unfortunately, this organization is only interested in the window dressing (how they appear to the outside) and do not care about providing quality care.

Had to leave this organization because the work environment was too toxic. You never knew if you were going to get your pink slip.

I would never recommend this place to anyone at this time.
Pros
location on the lake
Cons
Lack of transparency and poor decisions made at the senior management level
professional and caring
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 April 2016
An excellent place to work. A professional and caring environment for patients.

Clinical consolidation placement in a specialized unit.
Long shifts, great people, productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 March 2016
It was a great environment; the staff there are nice and hard working. The shifts there are long but its a good thing. I never had a problem there and most shifts there are pretty good.
Enjoyable Fun Active Workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON31 March 2015
Ontario Shores had some of the most influential amazing people i have ever met working their. As a high school student having a co-op placement for a term of 6 months i really had no idea what to expect when i started working for them. The people i got to work with set me up for success. I was a valued member of the team doing anything i could do to assist them in their work.

It was extremely rewarding working at Ontario Shores. I gained confidence communicating at the information desk, helping people with any troubles they were having. I always looked forward to coming to Ontario Shores to help people.

The people i got to work with were extremely kind, supportive and interesting. If i had any questions they were always willing to answer and guide me to success and challenged me to be better.

I am so thankful for the experience and will always cherish the knowledge i have gained.
Pros
Positive Enviornment
Patient Council Representative
Patient Council Representative (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 January 2015
I attend monthly meetings to help patients with their wants and needs or any problems they may have. Recently we organized a prom for the patients. I enjoy working with a great bunch of people and helping out the patients.
Don't Do It!!!!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 April 2014
Ontario Shores has become very unstable over the past few years and I wouldn't recommend it as an employer on any level, even if in desperation. Management decisions are unpredictable and unjustified, shock and survivor syndrome are a way of life for many employees there. There are other jobs out there. Anything would be better on your health and career than working here. Move along....
La culture de l'établissement était vraiment centré sur le bien être du patient.
Food service supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 April 2014
J'ai appris à respecter les patient atteint de maladies mentales.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences Reviews by Job Title