Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences

Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Canada39 reviews
Student Placement
Training at Ontario Shores, I learned a lot and the staff was kind and helpful.
The institution serves to help people in need and who cannot understand things and they try to be there for them and help them with tools to cope with their illness. I admire the work that is being done at Ontario Shores.
Great
One of the best employers I have ever worked for...
A typical day at work is very chill, you have to always be on your Ps and Qs in the event that there is an emergency.
Pros
Great gifts and programs
Cons
12 hour shifts
I liked working here
Good place to work, great people and great patients to work with. I loved witking on the different units in the hospital and I enjoyed both working in teams and on my own.
Toxic Workplace/Horrible Management
Management are bullies, no support from organization
Toxic work environement

Organization does not respect collective agreement

Insufficient staff for workload
Relax Environment
The staff in general are very nice and friendly, some are a bit clique-ish. The environment can be somewhat stressful, especially for those at the front-line of care. Management is very lacking in vision and having a clear plan for the organization - very reactionary instead of pro-active.
Good place to work in case of benefits and hob security but they are not really on the cutting edge and too laid back.
Dream job
From the first placement I had at Ontario shores as a nursing student with Durham college I was in love. From staff to patient all of them kept me coming back to work everyday looking forward to what thst day might vring, which undoubtedly it brought a lot. I loved the fast paced environment and how the staff all worked so amazingly together as a team without judgement or typical workplace drama
during the working hours there is no play or fun
My summary is that i will be very happy with every workers which we work together that i will make sure to observe things and do the right things which will make my colleague to like me during the working hours.
Overall, was a great experience.
Purchasing department is well organized and great to work with. Mgmt is very knowledgeable who respected the purchasing team. Unfortunately, pay is quite low therefore I had to move on.
Great
A great place to work. all the people are nice. the people supervising me were wonderful. It was an unpaid position but I enjoyed my work there very much.
Positive Workplace
* Professional staffing
* Safe and competent care among clients

* Willing to teach students

* Great management

* Create a positive atmosphere for the well being of clients
Great place to work,the staff and patients are great to work with.
I have spent the majority of my career as a nurse working here. There are so many opportunities for growth and change and being in unionized environment offers comfort.
Worst place to work ever!
I’ve worked there for 15+ years and the issues have become so bad I’m looking to leave. There is bullying from staff to staff as well as from upper management and the doctors. Management does not listen to you. Staff do not stay long as they feel bullied and nothing is done. Patients never get better, it’s like a revolving door.
Not a great place to work.
It can be a good place to learn and gain experience if given the opportunity, however long term not the best place to stay.Some units are better than others. Not always a great place for work/home life balance.
good pay per hour but stressful
Too much gossip and poor conditions working with other co workers. I like my job but the gossip and and mgmt along with a few other issues make it hard to want to stay which is unfortunate.
Student
I love this place. It is an excellent facility for individuals experiencing challenges in their life. People are treated equal with respect and dignity.
Pros
Rotating shifts
Unsafe. Management unsupportive
With so called “recovery rounds” (which is really a collection of non front line managers including managers who have never even worked in health care and have zero background) pressuring and at times forcing the staff caring for individuals to discontinue seclusion or restraints when it is against the nurses clinical judgement it has become increasingly unsafe. When staff are assaulted by patients they are told not to call the police and have to continue to care for the individual who has just hit them. Can you imagine any other workplace where that would be acceptable? When you are assaulted management could care less. There are no rules for patients anymore and this has fostered a culture of entitlement. There are no consequences for individuals who assault staff or other patients. Just because someone has a mental illness does not mean they are violent, however when someone who has a mental illness is violent it shouldn’t automatically be assumed that they were violent because of their illness. Ontario Shores needs to adopt Zero Tolerance when it comes to violence. Too many staff are being hurt physically and psychological ... and when we are unwell it is not fair to our patients.
Pros
Beautiful Location. Front line staff genuinely care about patients and recovery.
Cons
Unsupportive and inconsistent managers. Favouritism. Nepotism.
Fun and educational place for student volunteers
Great flexibility for school schedules! Also acquires knowledgable staff who are willing to teach student volunteers the fundamentals of their jobs, departments, and the hospital!
fun place to work
great experience especially in the security field. few things may be hard for the average person to handle, but youre never alone and its very understood that if youre not comfortable you dont need to participate.;
Negative culture, poor management, poor patient focus
When I started at Ontario Shores, I felt proud to join an organization that spoke of being recovery oriented and committed to healthy work environment for staff. I saw high turnover rates from the start and watched people get 'walked out' for mysterious reasons every few months.
I had a new manager every year- none knew the nature of my profession and did not take interest in learning. So personal and professional growth is very difficult. Communication from management tended to be negative in focus-- very little positive feedback which fostered more negative environment among staff.

Workplace culture overall was quite negative. Workplace bullying/toxicity is definitely not addressed and disrespect between staff is commonplace.

I often felt conflicted by treatment approaches toward patients-- not patient focused or recovery focused most of the time. It was draining. Wanting to work to help patients and feeling they weren't being treated as a whole person-- the values seemed more like signs on the wall than something that they ensured was practiced every day.
Pros
The patients; salary
Cons
toxic dynamics; management; not patient-focused
Great place to work. The culture is diverse and friendly.
Staff willing to help with learning opportunities.

Management is engaged with staff and well respected.
Overall, a positive workplace experience.
Coworkers were supportive and there was team cohesiveness. Management was approachable and appeared genuinely interested fostering a safer and quality environment for staff and patients.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences Reviews by Location