Ontario Securities Commission Employee Reviews

Interesting projects in the capital market arena
SR. PROJECT MANAGER (contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2019
The Ontario Securities Commission is a regulatory agency which administers and enforces securities legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario. The OSC is an Ontario Crown corporation which reports to the Ontario legislature through the Minister of Finance.
Top notch organization
Summer Law Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
The OSC is a great place to work. Good work life balance, yet one will get involved on highly interesting matters. Fair compensation and friendly colleagues.
The enforcement group - "TOXIC"
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
During the interview, I asked about opportunities for training and advancement, even lateral moves. I was told there were so many opportunities and that no one would remain in the entry level position I was being hired into. I am not certain if Pinnochio's nose grew or not.

There is no opportunity for advancement unless you are considered to be a member of an inner circle. Management, especially in enforcement is toxic. One female manager continually downloads her responsibilities with the statement, hopefully I don't have to require anyone to do it. Everything is a shell game and then the rug gets pulled out from underneath staff.

To my knowledge some other groups at the OSC are similarly toxic. In this regard HR, the Commissioner, and her inner circle just stick their heads in the sand and tow management's line. It is really sad to see an organization that could be a leader in its culture and treatment of staff be such a pathetic next of cronyism, nepotism, and favoritism.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
toxic work environment
Great place to work!
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2017
Loved working there, great culture and a really amazing team in the Human Resources Department. I really wish I could have stayed on there! I started as a Temp and stayed on part time during school then did my Co-Op placement there. There were amazing and really gave me opportunities to learn and grow.
Interessant mais trop de politique.
Legal Counsel (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
L'OSC est un excellent endroit pour commencer / poursuivre sa carriere mais il ne faut y rester plus que 4 ans.
Pros
Bonne qualite de vie
Cons
Trop de politique.
I am a committee member - volunteer position
Committee member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
Committee meets quarterly to provide input to OSC initiatives regarding market structure. The committee comprises volunteers from buy-side, sell-side, marketplaces and independents (retirees).
Great Colleagues, Poor Management
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ontario Securities Commission22 June 2014
There's a distinct hierarchy environment - if you're management or senior management you'll do well - get very high bonuses and salaries all over $100,000. If you're deemed support staff, you'll be treated as such and never be given opportunities to advance to management. This seriously impacts the culture and makes it impossible to believe or live the Values posted. Colleagues are fabulous to work with and very supportive and helpful towards each other. Human Resources is a mess and disrespected across the organization because of the acceptance and support of the hierarchy that's been created.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor culture
Fun work with work life balance
Economic Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2013
• Gained knowledge of market data vendors and their offerings by working with Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters