Ontario Science Centre

Ontario Science Centre Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
Excellent environment to be a part of; working in recreational programs is always fun and fast-paced. While competing for advancement is competitive, it is encouraged, and they provide extensive training to help improve intra/interpersonal skills. While the work is demanding, it is rewarding and the incredible team make it a blast!
Pros
strong team, fun environment, great leadership
Cons
Extremely busy days
It was a very enjoyable experience. I loved being able to work with very unique and talented scientists. The toughest part about the job would be the care and maintenance of the several different types of equipment used in the facility.
Pros
Get to roam around the center and explore
Fun workers, job is mainly waiting around for customers. Sometimes busy at holidays but otherwise very dead. Staff is very friendly and makes working there enjoyable
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not busy
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the public. I am often reminded that people do not all think the same nor process things the same way. It is great to have people walk away from you with a smile on their faces because you have managed to really listen to them and really hear what they say - and sometimes more importantly - what you hear under/behind their words.
Pros
Once you hold a government job, its easier to stay within the government
Cons
No real room for advancement
working at Ontario Science Center was one of the best experience in my life. I enjoyed the work and also earned experience of the basic things. In this volunteer job, I learned how to cooperate with the team members and also learned how to communicate with customers. The management of this place was really good.
This is a great place to work if you're looking for a part-time job. The hours are great and the staff is helpful. I enjoy meeting and interacting with members of the public
Pros
good wage
Cons
no room for advancement
Ontario Science Centre is not a very innovative place to work if you are creative and/or innovative. The organization claims that it wants to be innovative and creative but the culture and policies prevent that from occurring so the staff is not happy AT ALL. Most only stay for their pensions.
An exceptional place to work for individuals who are in teaching or science education. The work environment is supportive and inclusive. I became more confident as a teacher while working with colleagues there.
the staff is very friendly and really supportive. You will have lots of fun if you are passionate about science and love interacting with people to gain and spread knowledge.
The science centre is a great place to work. Amazing management and lively friendly atmosphere. It is a great place not only to teach but to learn as well.
For high school students looking to get their minimum 40 hours of volunteer. You will get a total of 150 hours or so, unless things have changed.
However, they don't always count the hours individually. There was one or two days where an orientation was taking place and you had the option to skip that day of work. While many people did, I went to work for the days. However, my hours were still deducted in the end.

Volunteering to help out their summer camp program can get tiring towards the last couple of weeks as the children will drain out your energy. However, it is overall a great experience, you are able to learn how to manage multiple people, work as a team with your peer volunteers and make new friends.

The workplace culture was rather nice, friendly. Though at times you could feel left out in your team- it is not as professional as it could be.
Pros
Make new friends
Cons
children will drain your energy quickly
The OSC takes great care in integrating their employees into the workplace when they are first hired. I found I was not only readily accepted, but encouraged to be myself and feel free to ask questions of anyone. Training is current and relevant to the job, and is always being updated so as not to fall behind in the industry.

I enjoy the culture that has been created at the OSC and hope that I can instill that in any other place I work in the future.
Pros
Great work hours and management
Cons
Visiting children can be a handful on occasion
Great atmosphere, with amazing co-workers. Hours were flexible and perfect for a student, or for someone that may have a family. Work gives peace of mind, no need to take any work home, and everyday was exciting.
Pros
amzing co-workers
I worked at the Ontario Science Center for a month immediately after highschool in the Membership department. The position was unpaid as it was a highschool co-op position but it did teach me a lot about office behavior and professionalism.

My job was to collect contest entries and enter the customer information into a database for a monthly draw. I also stuffed a lot of envelopes.
Pros
Free Science Center Admission
Cons
Dull work
I had a blast working at the Ontario Science Centre. I learned new things and built great relationships with my co-workers. I also learned new skills and this job made me more confident in my working future.
Pros
Great lunches
Cons
Diffidult tasks
The Ontario Science Centre is a great company and institution. Working there was an amazing experience. The staff was friendly and inviting. And getting to watch free OMNIMAX movies was great. I greatly enjoyed showing others the wonders of science and technology. However, I found that the building was very large, so at times it could prove to be quite difficult to traverse to a different exhibit. I feel like their management is done quite well, everyday's schedule is well organised. Unfortunately, the job I had was only for a predetermined fixed amount of time. Maybe one day I'll return as a full-time worker.
I did a High school Co-Op, not paid, really fun, great co workers. Best part of the job was going around the center meeting new people and scientists, going down to the shipping area and picking and sending out new posters. It was good experience for a 9-5 office job, I personally like out and about which is why i chose Film Production.
It's great working there with everyone. Tons of fun, you learn something new everyday. Great people to work with. You never get to meet everyone.
Attend early at 8am to prepare for the children to come to the summer camp then end at 4pm. Teach and help campers with activities. Visit exhibits at times while keeping watch of them and making sure they don't wander or run into other exhibits.Sometimes worked in the office to take calls and perform other duties. Learned to be patient with children, customer service, memorization of the facility and much more. Management was quite organized, efficient and understanding. Co-workers were all fine people to work with, fun people and reliable. Hardest part of the job was to keep the children under control. Most enjoyable part of the job was to see the fascination that children have towards science and to see the amount of fun they have as they smile at you.
Pros
Received a pass for 5 free general admissions, a letter to allow free entry until the end of the summer and 10% off at Master Mind Toy Store
Cons
Work at least 3 weeks straight, Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, location distance was far
Everyday I would put on my lab coat and walk onto the Kidspark floor ready to interact with each and every person there. I learned that learning is not only for the young, it is a lifeling experience that can be enjoyed at any age. My favourite part of the job was creating new and interesting ways to engage in the environment that was around me. For example there was an area that was not being utilized by the children so I ook it upon myself to stay in that area and show the children (and caregivers) different ways to blow bubb;es with your hands. Together we discovered that you could make massive bubbles that ended up going all the way to the ground from my hands.
All sorts of office work. Communicating with management team and make report before and after any event.

I have learned how to work in professional way in a big organization.

My management and co-workers are helpful.

I have taken all job very professional way and my management always kept assist me when needed.

Team work was excellent; so every moment was enjoyable during my work period in Ontario science Centre.