Ontario Public Service

Ontario Public Service Employee Reviews

Caring Health Care professionals working at providing better care for Seniors in Long Term Care

Good job providing flexibility of work while working with other health care professionals. Lots of travel throughout Southwest Ontario. Great opportunity to understand the different needs throughout our province.

Pros

Set own work schedule based on priorities

Cons

More training required for an ever changing work environment and new Long Term Care Legislation

Work culture was collaborative I felt like I was a part of someting big, positively contributing to society and making a difference.

While working for the Ontario public service I was inspired to learn and to grow, build and achieve greater skills, knowledge and abilities through various training programs and workshops. I was encouraged to contribute even at the Executive Administrative level my import was important and I felt like I was making a difference. I was recognized and awarded for going above and beyond for delivering exceptional customer service and for being an asset to my superiors as well as my coworkers.

Pros

Lunch and Learn workshops and internal government programs / courses to improve one's knowledge, skills and abilities was a great thing.

Cons

Internal competitions for permanent acements was very difficult.

Invest your time and energy elsewhere

I wished I had known how bad things were with the the OPS prior to my investing my time and energy into it. It is just not worth it. It is a soul crushing, profoundly unfair work situation. Managers are allowed to do whatever they like regardless of 'theoretical' rules, laws, and regulations. The system is run by nepotism and don't let anyone suggest otherwise. It is a total mess. Run, don't walk away.

Pros

Some of the benefits

Cons

Nepotism, non-compliance to rules and laws

Corrections

Will suck the soul out.of your life ..pays well ..trust noone ...gossipy high school like ...keep to yourself ..negative environment..boys club ...few friends

Pros

Money

Cons

Culture boys club

Mostly interesting work!

There is no such thing as a typical day in the office in the Ontario Public Service. Work can be unpredictable from day to day. You just need to be flexible and organized to adapt.

Dont waste your life.

Tired for 11 years. Your institution makes policy and region tries to fire you for not following. Have fun with Fyntenol. If your a millenial dont apply your useless.

Peaceful workplace

This place is great to work for any person. The management is quite friendly and is always supportive to the staff. The hurdles in tasks are discussed within the group and solved accordingly.

Care taker

I learned that working for many different people of their different way of thinking and wanting things to be the way they would want them done but I was very patient and understanding. That was the hardest part of the day. The most enjoyable day would be just sitting at a park and being A Companion in some funny way.

Productive work place

Friendly co-workers, Lots of opportunities and challenges to grow and learn. A very diverse crew, Very proud of being part of a team that supports essential services like communication towers for first responder.

Great service

Very competitive. Must be willing to sacrifice work life balance. Environment can be dangerous. Great union. Training is not paid. Lots of working on holidays.

Productive Environment

A very busy office. A great deal of attention to details is required. Management was very accommodating and easy to work with. Daily activities was routine and repetitive. All responsibilities were handled in a strict confidential manner.

Fun but productive

Fun place to work but it can be tremendously slow sometimes. However, new work may come at any time with short deadlines leading to an increase in pace.

Good job

Overall I enjoyed my time with the Ontario government. Being able move around to different Ministry's and position is a give you a wonderful opportunities.

Fast paced

Stressful work environment. Understaffed. Management support varies depending on the day and personality of the leader, unfortunately. Work/life balance is a struggle particularly with lack of management support.

Government

- slow-paced, lots of red tape, nothing happens fast - lots of research required, documentation, tracking, filing - management is easy to approach - workplace culture is fun when there are events, but normally pretty quiet throughout the workday - hardest part of the job is getting internal approvals before things can progress

Pros

great salary and benefits

Cons

difficult career advancement

Fast paced environment with many learning opportunities.

I have developed many transferable skills working in the OPS that I know can be utilized in other sectors or other career opportunities. There are many developmental opportunities to develop in other divisions.

worst place to work

poisoned environment no support from upper management Management out to get you so they can get ahead management is corrupt within the only good thing is pay and the people you work with

work life balance with no prospects of growing

Working at OPS is interesting, although the decision making process is super slow and changes with the change of high ranked officials which could make it frustrating and challenging to seal achievements in the workplace

An average government position

Work is very seasonal dependent due to relying on MNR hiring, initial training period takes time and employee is expected to keep themselves busy if their ID is not processed in time for work. Actual job experience is not difficult, training is usually done through manuals and coworkers through meetings and asking questions.

Welcoming and supportive environment to get developed and learn

Very welcoming and pleasant colleagues and teammates and very supportive managers and great work-life balance, but processes and workflows are slow paced and less efficient!

Challenging

Any position in any ministry is challenging and every changing as every day is always a little different than the day before. Because of the nature of their business, no situation is the same and no personal contact is the same situation. All situations have variable situations which draws on your problem solving skills and knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Public Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement

Compare Ontario Public Service with

• Ontario Public Service
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?