Ontario Public Service Employee Reviews

A positive workplace, balance of work life and family life
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON26 July 2018
A typical day at work would be to accomplish all task at hand and to have completed all workloads by due dates. Also to have a few laughs through out the day. I love to learn each and everyday, so I take on new challenges to ensure I am learning something new always. To support management at all times. There is always difficulty with any job, I like to re-evaluate the situation at hand and take a different approach to make it a little less hard. Always ask for assistance if need or ask a team member for advice. The most enjoyable part of my job, is the people I work for and with. A smile goes a long way!
Pros
Team work and pot luck lunches
Cons
negativity in the workplace
RNs don’t belong in this setting
RN (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON1 September 2018
Worked for a poor leadership team all of which had no formal education, common sense or ethical components of their entire being.

Ministry of corrections specifically , however I always recommend everyone who can do better to do better. Government pension is incredible - but the system is archaic. What they allow for, stand for and represent as the ministry will surely having you looking at other provinces for asylum.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Rate of pay, managers, work culture, Hr, literally everything but the pension
Poor company culture
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 August 2018
If you want to be berated and yelled at, perfect place for you. Pay is not high enough for the amount of responsibility, or for the qualifications. Bossy is the culture, and they are always right. Why hire competent people, then tell them how to do their job.
Pros
Inside work
Cons
Poor pay
Productive and place of new opportunity
Sr.Siebel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2018
Its one of a place where you can learn many things interms of technology and process. Management is highly supportive. overall i felt it has got an very vibrant environment to work.
Pros
All Good
Cons
Not any
Not bad
Ministry (Current Employee) –  Toronto23 August 2018
Good place to work with a fair salary. People are great, could move into the 21st century at some point with technology. Other than that, can't really complain.
Highly Stable
Web Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downtown Toronto28 December 2018
For this company, it can be expected to do a lot of groundwork when entering as a technology person. The adaptation of technology is definitely a lot slower than the private sector. For people with families, this will be a stable environment for them.
Pros
No overtime unless actually necessary.
Perfect
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  900 Bay Street28 December 2018
Perfect in every way. It's the best place on earth. They provide a professional atmosphere from the highest ranking official to the mailroom clerk. Employee will be challenged and rewarded for his or hers efforts with a sense of accomplishment for the community they serve.
Great people
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 December 2018
Great people to work with! Very focused on work/like balance, but not very respectful of the public's money. Some issues with morals and ethics which can cause some internal conflict.
Great Team
Developer/ Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2018
Typical day of work is very dynamic.
Learned a lot from other team members and managers.
The management is active and involved.
The workplace culture is relaxed.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Exciting time in an organization that is changing
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2018
With the change in provincial government, there is a lot of exciting challenges ahead for government employees. You learn how to be an adaptable communicator while also delivering on tight project timelines.
Office of the Chief Coroner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2018
I really enjoyed the area that I worked in and found most people in that environment to be very professional and down-to-earth. I would love the opportunity to work more with this organization in the future.
Productive and enjoyable experience.
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Very beneficial experience and productive time.
Privilege to be part of the governmental process.
Learned from a variety of smart, interesting and hard working colleagues.
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2017
Typical day does not involve a lot of action. Rather slow paste and the assignments can be not too challenging.

Very nice team, great management. Everyone keeps to themselves.

The hardest part of the job is to manage your time to look busy for the day.
Pros
Great work life balance, nice people
Cons
Not very challenging
Secure job, guaranteed benefits
Program Leader/ Facilitation (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2017
This is definitely a more ease/accessible method to start working for the government and get noticed in Ministry. Network for other positions.There is an opportunity for advancement in Management positions, if you choose. The pay and salary will keep you. There is need for a social life in order from getting a person suck in the Job Culture.
Pros
Ease of profession/ Rate of salary
Cons
Long working hours/Shift work
Fast paced
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON11 December 2017
Fast paced and stressful. Had to be able to think on your feet. Be able to give orders and ensure they were being followed. Had to be able to write reports and communicate between departments.
Pros
great pay and benifits
Positive workplace environment
Jr. Application Programmer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
I loved different programs and event OPS organised. This workplace offered many opportunities to learn and build up career focusing on individual achievement. All OPS employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program, which provides voluntary, confidential professional counseling to help employees deal with a variety of personal and work-related concerns.
Great
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 June 2018
Couldn't be more pleased. I consistently come to work with a smile on my face and leave with that smile in tact. Work is long, and hard, but most often worthwhile.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Shift work
no comments.
Director (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 June 2018
Always enjoyed my time at the OPS. I have no other comments at this time.

Thanks for the great work environment and the great experiences. Much appreciated.
Pros
great environment
Cons
stressful
Rewarding
Correctional Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
During my tenure in Corrections I found it to be very educational and rewarding. It was a career I was very proud to be involved in. The most enjoyable part of my day consisted of my day to day interactions with the staff and the client population. The hardest part of the job was being acutely aware of the environment allowed for successful risk management. I learned flexibility in giving direction allowing staff to own decisions to accomplish their assigned tasks. I would highly recommend a career in Correctional Services,
Pros
Rewarding, Job Satisfaction, Job Security, Motivating Staff
Cons
Stressful, Danger Risk
Productive and Pride
Home Position - Forensic Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
We here at the OFPS have alot of pride in our work, we ensure that the public that have lost their loved ones have the answers they need in order to accept and move forward with their loss.
Pros
Great Team