Ontario Public Service Employee Reviews

Positive workplace environment
Jr. Application Programmer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
I loved different programs and event OPS organised. This workplace offered many opportunities to learn and build up career focusing on individual achievement. All OPS employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program, which provides voluntary, confidential professional counseling to help employees deal with a variety of personal and work-related concerns.
Important work and never a dull day
Local Systems Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2017
Great place to work at and for. Providing important work to make a different to the public sector and tax payers. People have the same enthusiasm as i do.
Fast paced
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON11 December 2017
Fast paced and stressful. Had to be able to think on your feet. Be able to give orders and ensure they were being followed. Had to be able to write reports and communicate between departments.
Pros
great pay and benifits
Financial Analyst
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2017
Typical day does not involve a lot of action. Rather slow paste and the assignments can be not too challenging.

Very nice team, great management. Everyone keeps to themselves.

The hardest part of the job is to manage your time to look busy for the day.
Pros
Great work life balance, nice people
Cons
Not very challenging
great office
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 November 2017
loved working here, great coworkers and management, lots of opportunity and growth/training

m-f job no weekends or holidays

nothing bad to say as I was very lucky to work there
Licensing Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2017
My typical day at work involved managing verification process for license applications and facilitated the processing of general licensing application information to prospective applicants, licensees and the general public in response to inquiries and concerns.
excellent people in my department we worked welltogether
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Queens Park Toronto24 October 2017
Was able to work independently but also in conjunction with a team. Manager accepted that I wanted to start early to avoid rush hour to and from work. loved the job.
Pros
flex hours
Productive and Friendly Workplace
Business and Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On24 September 2017
- Very friendly staff
- Always new learning opportunities
- Great place to network
- Great place to build skills
- Very accommodating management and staff
Great Place To Work
Projects Assistant -Summer Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
The Ontario Public Service is a great place to develop and learn as well as achieve excellence and grow in your career. It is a place where you can see the work you put in and how it helps all Ontarians in their daily lives.
Pros
Learning, Stability, Job Advancement
Cons
a challenge to land an opportunity
Fun and dynamic area
Forecasting and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2017
I was able to work on a broad spectrum of files while with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. I really liked my colleagues and still keep in touch with them.
Cons
Outdated technology
Secure employment
correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2017
Good employer that provides room for advancement exciting and interesting work and a challenge each day in the work you are tasked to do. I would recommend it to anyone.
I am 61 years old and healty
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2017
I've been retired for 2 1/2 years I've been train how to deal with problems.I've also worked as a captain and had 150 staff under me, I've also managed the detention centre many times by my self. Written hundreds of reports. I had an award for preventing an escape by 4 inmates. I also worked as a driver transporting inmates across eastern Ontario.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Excellent benefits and means of advancement.
Deputy Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 May 2017
Each day is not the same. One is constantly faced with different challenges throughout the working day. Some days are long and can be very stressful. On the other hand it is a great job.
Pros
The people
Cons
Long hours - 24/7 operations.
Steady but not exciting
Manager Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2017
OPS is a steady and slow environment. If you want the fast pace and money, than OPS might not be the place for you.
To advance one has to be the initiative taker.
Salary was good. Enjoyed working with audit teams. Excellent training and support from Tax Advisory.
Sr. Field Auditor and Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2017
Enjoyed working with individuals training them to be the best audit team member they could be. Variety of management and legislation knowledge gained.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Environment of mediocrity in Public Service
Secure job, guaranteed benefits
Program Leader/ Facilitation (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2017
This is definitely a more ease/accessible method to start working for the government and get noticed in Ministry. Network for other positions.There is an opportunity for advancement in Management positions, if you choose. The pay and salary will keep you. There is need for a social life in order from getting a person suck in the Job Culture.
Pros
Ease of profession/ Rate of salary
Cons
Long working hours/Shift work
Difficult environment to work in
Youth Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 March 2017
I fully enjoyed everything at this job except the politics between the staff and management. Great pay,excellent salary and always exciting.
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
politics
Rewarding
Correctional Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
During my tenure in Corrections I found it to be very educational and rewarding. It was a career I was very proud to be involved in. The most enjoyable part of my day consisted of my day to day interactions with the staff and the client population. The hardest part of the job was being acutely aware of the environment allowed for successful risk management. I learned flexibility in giving direction allowing staff to own decisions to accomplish their assigned tasks. I would highly recommend a career in Correctional Services,
Pros
Rewarding, Job Satisfaction, Job Security, Motivating Staff
Cons
Stressful, Danger Risk
Good place to work at. Not a cliche'.
Senior Capacity Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Overall a very good work environment. Some "stale" staff holding positions that could use some new blood.

Pleasantly surprised that preconceived notions of "government job" was not 100% true. It's not perfect, but nor is the private sector. I was pleased by how well many processes moved forward. There were still some that slowed things down and could be improved upon.

Work / life balance was excellent. Unless you were in Operations and something went down overnight, you were not needed off hours.
Pros
Great office. Smart people.
Cons
Politically charged.
Mcscs
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2016
same as the pervious explanation - finance clerk, medical clerk, admin assistant. Work inpendently in a fast pace environment