Ontario Power Generation Employee Reviews

Great pay, not a place for eager individuals
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 November 2017
OPG is a great place to work if you want to make a lot of money and learn a lot about power generation. If you're an eager, success-driven kind of person, OPG may not be for you. The OPG team functions very slowly, and when you work too fast, you're told to slow down to keep pace with the team, even if your work quality exceeds expectations. This is true regardless of what area of the company you work with.

Working with OPG can be the best job in the world if you're able to easily find fulfilment outside the workplace.
Pros
High salary, safe, low-stress, relatively easy
Cons
painstakingly slow pace
Productive work environment
Assistant Board Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto7 November 2017
Professional work environment. Learned a variety of management skills. Challenges included managing the relationship with the shareholder. Enjoyable aspects included working with the board of directors.
Excellent work place
Nuclear Operator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 October 2017
good work practices ,work protection #1,excellent environment for work. PPE provided ,good management excellent benefits.all work done by procedure company respecting all rules and regulation .
Pros
caring for workers
Cons
N /a
Great place if you join right out of college
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2017
IT organization is unstructured and is behind times. No transferable skills and vendors run the show. Starting salarly is low. Great work life balance as no overtime.
Pros
No overtime great work life balance
Cons
Spend most time trying to figure out processes
Amazing
Risk Analyst Co-op (Former Employee) –  Courtice, ON6 October 2017
Great place to work, I made many friendships and enjoyed working with such great people.

Start whenever I wanted and just made sure I worked the required amount of hours each day. Management where very understanding. Its a great place to be employed.
Decent
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON25 September 2017
* great benefits and pay
* ridiculous amount of politics
* A lot of room to grow and work your way up
* Too many restrictions- not enough room to be creative
* too many regulations
Pros
Great benefits, pay, unionized
Cons
Too many Restrictions/ regulations
An excellent place to work with many opportunites to grow
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Haley Station, ON25 August 2017
OPG is a very team oriented place to work. I have had many opportunities over my 20 years of service and with the constant change was able to learn many new skills. They are very big on safety and training and all of it is kept up to date. The people are like family and make it an enjoyable place to work. I am currently still with the company but due to the thermal job loss and having to move to another location, I am currently seeking work back in the Sarnia/Lambton area to relocate back to my home.
Professional and safe place to work.
Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON28 July 2017
A fast paced environment where attention to detail and safety is not just a saying it is a requirement. The support and training is always available. Definitely a culture of excellence.
Productive and satisfying work load... every day learnt something new.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ON19 July 2017
I was hired on a 6 month contract position which extended into 2 years. I found my sister Admins to be a great group of women,
not only knowledgeable, but so helpful and so willing to share and be part of "team " to get projects completed.... I found a wonderful diversity of folks all working for the same goal.... Safety in the Nuclear Industry. I learned so much about the Nuclear industry that I was sad when my job ended.
Slow and frustrating work place.
Assistant Valve Engineer (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 July 2017
Attending meetings and working on projects that lack impetus and value to the company. The projects once started, usually never end by accomplishing the goal. The company lack structure and incentive for workers to perform above the expectations.
A very good place to work and learn.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON11 July 2017
I did my internship at OPG after completing my third year of studies. Great place to work, learned a lot and amazing workplace culture. Gained valuable knowledge and experience about the energy sector in Ontario.
Team enviornment and atmosphere is positive
Mechanical Operation Engineer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
Enjoyed working for this company. Team environment and atmosphere was positive. Learned new skills daily. Job salary and work life balance was fair. Overall, great to work for
Great pay and benefits
Environmental, Chemistry and Safety Technologist (Former Employee) –  Atikokan, ON13 June 2017
Excellent pay, benefits, and people to work with and for. The job was interesting and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this company to work for. I would go back
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
long drawn out hiring process
Stay away if you need a career
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON17 May 2017
This company is going down hill due to years of mismanagement and huge severance and pension payouts. There is no job security and very political due to it being arm's length affiliation with the provincial Liberal govt. Jobs are being contracted out and outsourced. HR pays lip service; don't expect them to be of any real help for anything. Only bureau-rats, union shmoes and execs are earning the big bucks. Their plants are being sold off or shut down. Only real work they have left is the Darlington refurb project. Guess who's paying for all of this? Ontario taxpayers!
Pros
Gold-plated pensions
Cons
No job security
Fun experience
Millwright CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Darlington, ON26 April 2017
I got to experience lots of different things in my short time here. the management was nice and helpful and the people I worked with were very good teachers for me.
Great Place If You Don't Mind Moving
Hydroelectric Operating Technician (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 April 2017
Excellent salary/benefits/pension, great work/life balance and nearly all coworkers are excellent people. Be prepared to move, though!

Lots of room to advance, strong safety culture, loads of training and very procedural environment. Team oriented in larger plants, free-agent style in smaller locations. Lots of autonomy for an entry-level position.
Pros
Best training in the industry, best compensation, best security of employment!
Cons
The only real downside is relocating...
Safety culture , skills training provided
Electrical and controls technician (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 April 2017
Good compensation, pay and benefits-safe work practices, training for skills development and workplace safety -good working conditions and job security
Pros
Safety culture, job training provided
Productive work environment and a Great Experience
Section Manager Scheduling (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 April 2017
I learn something new everyday I come in to work and face very interesting challenges everyday. The Work Place culture is very friendly, Professional and Safe.
Great Learning Experience
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Darlington, ON27 March 2017
This was a great place for a student to be able to apply his/her skills in order to take what was learned in the classroom and cultivate it with the assistance of professionals in the various trades.
Good Nuclear Safety Culture
Design Engineering Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 February 2017
Good Nuclear Safety Culture and friendly work environment, It's a very active work environment mainly because: as the nuclear station come to the ends of their lives, the nuclear waste program has to ramp up to accommodate all of the nuclear waste.
Pros
Good Nuclear Safety Culture
Cons
Geographical distances may be daunting sometimes.