Ontario Power Generation
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

Ontario Power Generation: 218 Employee Reviews

Canada218 reviews

ontarionucleargenerationpowersafetyprojectplantsalary

Great comapany, had an excellent career.

Featured review

Ontario Power Generation selected this as a representative review
Good company and great place to work. Had an opportunity to work with some exceptional people. Very supportive of employee development, and learning.

Great work place

- low stress as your manager/ peers are really helpful- great worker environment as everyone treats you with respect regardless of your position- day to day work can be slow

Insights into Ontario Power Generation

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues

Very good company to work for.

I worked there 33 years and now retired. I enjoy my time there !!I retired with great pension & all benefits. I’m a believer in it’s not what you do it’s more who you do it with !The company and people I worked with where awesome.

Good place to work if you know someone in therePros:Good salary, benefitsNegatives:Most work groups are understaffed, lack of opportunities to get permanent job.

Good place to work if you can get a permanent job

Good place to work if you can get a permanent jobPros: Good salary, benefits, unionizedNegatives:Most work groups are understaffed, few opportunities to move within the company

Long shifts, poor management, low morale

OPG management bends hiring protocols to accommodate friends and family members. Favouritism pits workers against each other. Male dominated environment. Women are not treated equally and that’s coming from a man. Overwhelming procedures slow productivity. Very frustrating environment. High turnover.

Pros

Nice cafeteria

Cons

Only friends and family advance. Procedure overload.

Excellent place to work

Please note this review is based on my time as a full-timer not a contract term employee. I worked for opg as a contract employee for approximately a year before I got the opportunity to interview for a full time posting as an external candidate.To start, I studied for the interview for approximately 3 weeks and still found it difficult. The difficulty was well worth the job and suits the position applied for. It was segmented into different parts including but not limited to technical questions, problem solving and behavioral questions. OPG is fast paced and every day brings a new challenge. From general maintenence to troubleshooting old machinery to water control on the trent River, day to day i never really know what to expect. This is what I love about the job. There is lots of opportunity to learn my trade safely, and it feels good knowing that a lot is done to protect my wellbeing while working. The job includes pension and benifits as well as more than fair wages. Couldn't have asked for a better place to work.

Great place to begin career

Started as an intern, was a fantastic place to learn about engineering and nuclear. However it depends on the division you are in. Some management was very disconnected from the employee levels than others.

Pros

work life balance, pay

Cons

long commute

Good Pay, No professional Development for New Hires

There is a lot of work at OPG. Unfortunately, many of the nuances of the job are not formally taught to new staff. Management normally has reasonable expectations, but stakeholders from other groups may not be so understanding. The pay is decent compared to other similar roles at other companies. Currently they only hire on a contract basis (1-3 years) so do not expect a long term position.

Fun workplace and supportive

Great management team, the perfect atmosphere to work, inclusive and diverse. a lot of training and opportunities to grow and for a professional career.

Pros

work hours

Cons

no comments

Productive and Good Place to Work

Very good place to work. Management is good and friendly, they ensure to pay well, good benefits, and there is lots of opportunity for career progression.

Great and fun place

I had a positive experience working at Ontario Power Generation. Company has great perks and career advancement opportunities. Work life balance is great.

Exciting yet demanding work place

Worked for a number of years in various roles. It is only as good as you make it. While each role was fulfilling in it's own right, there were plenty of opportunities to develop and move through the organization. The hard part was waiting to be released to other roles.

Good organization of you are an engineer or trades person.

The support services organizations (finance, HR, etc) are under appreciated and compensated. It’s a good company with good people but leadership is lacking across the board.

Not what it professes to be

OPG professes to value inclusion and diversity, but in reality not so. Top heavy with executives who do not promote from within or support the development of existing highly competent staff members. Disappointing.

Professional and Supportive

Management is supportive. Benefits are good despite being a term employee. Unpaid vacation is a drag but you get 4% pay added to your paycheque to compensate. Plant is closing down and upper management gives political answers when asked about the future of term employees. No incentives for older employees to retire. Many working well into their 70s preventing the younger workforce from advancing or having job security.

Reasonable

Ontario power generation is a good company to work for. Pension, salary, time off are all very reasonable. Management is good. Came in through private

Well Paid Place to Work

O.P.G. is a great place to work for a paycheck. It is slow paced and casual environment. OPG has tremendous scientific challenges to monitor and solve. However, if you work in the office, you have a hard time seeing the results of your work.

A great company to work for with strong values

Monthly equity diversity and inclusion meetings. A lot of rewards and recognition. Your thoughts, opinions and goals will be valued. It is worth getting into OPG.

I really liked my time at OPG. Really chill place with really good compensation. A lot of people here are really nice and have really cushy jobs.

Typical day at work is you come in and review your emails and respond to them if they need a response. Attend a couple meetings regarding projects, budgeting, scheduling etc. and finish your assigned work which most days would be less than a couple hours of real hard work. Some days its chill, and rarely there will be a whole days worth of work. Its not a fancy job, but the pay/benefits, and job reliability is second to none.

Pros

Compensation, benefits, good work life balance

Cons

None that I can think of

I worked at OPG for 25 years. Really enjoyed it.

I had various jobs, and learned things everyday. I worked mainly in the office for different Managers. When I went to Lennox, I was in Stores which I really enjoyed. Being a woman, I thought it was great to learn how to drive a forklift.

Pros

I was able to move to Kingston for compassionate reasons, and worked at Lennox Generating Station for 10 years.

Cons

We started at 7:30, and I didn’t like to get up so early as I had a 45 minute drive to get to Lennox.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Power Generation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement