Ontario Native Women's Association

• Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Unstable. Lateral Violence.

Job opportunity not as described. Many people fired without fair reason, creating fear and instability. Client hijacking to increase stats without regard for the person. Some traditional behaviour/ teaching comes off as unnatural and exaggerated with a superiority complex. A lot of very unhealthy people working here. Highly paid and generous vacation time though. So much lateral violence.

Pros

Pay. Vacation.

Cons

No job security. Lateral violence.

Toxic operations, top to bottom

This is place is where you work while you try to get a job anywhere else. Mgmt and ED are on the sunshine list and have little regard for frontline workers whose shoulders they stand on. I loved my job but had to fight with mgmt over resources stolen by coworkers, drama and lack of care for the vicarious trauma. Staff who like to party get priority treatment, advancement. They only hire nonIndigenous consultants. Very hard for good people to stay. High turnover. If someone has been there a long time, watch yourself. Document everything!

Pros

Lots of free swag for staff

Cons

Low accountability

Very unprofessional. Save your time

I went through the entire process only to realize by the time of my job offer that ONWA is extremely unprofessional and very defensive when asked about their professionalism and management experience.Read the reviews and believe them! Save your time and save yourself the stress.They may offer a good pay, but the downfall is they are extremely unprofessional.

Pros

Cons

Management is childish

A horrible place to work.

This is the most toxic organization I have worked for. Nepotism everywhere. Incompetent management. Abusive. Treat staff very badly except for a chosen few.

Pros

Interesting and valuable work

Cons

Total lack of respect for staff.

Do not work here

I disliked working at this company immensely. The reasons are: 1. a coworker threatened violence, upper management promoted this individual to a manager and I was given a written warning. 2. Witnessed first hand, program staff lying about work they had done. 3. Received a written warning for discussing my salary with a co-worker. 4. Received a written warning for speaking with a former employee outside of work. 5. Demoralizing to see an ED making $175,000 while we work with the most marginalized, vulnerable people. This information is public on the Sunshine list. 6. Extremely high turn around of staff. I do not believe you will find a former employee with a positive experience. 7. Former staff and ED were treated with immense disrespect. Individuals no longer with the organization were badmouthed, and their contributions were diminished. When the former ED was removed from her position it was done in a humiliating fashion, which was not necessary. Witnessing this made it very difficult to continue working for an organization that operates in such a dysfunctional way. 8. Putting a price on cultural teachings is against Anishnawbe worldview. We organized a conference was held in Toronto 2020 and tickets to attend were over $500, which did not include travel, accommodations or food. No client could ever afford to attend such an event. This amount is nearly the monthly income for a woman receiving welfare (which many clients are) It was sad to see women clients complain about being excluded from events that are supposedly done in their name. What I learned: -

Pros

making connections with actual intelligent people in the industry, generous vacation

Cons

extremely stressful job due only to personalities of managers and ED, lateral violence, working for an organization with a poor reputation

Community-driven organization and dedicated staff

Staff are awesome and go above and beyond to achieve the organizational vision and support Indigenous women across Ontario and Canada. Staff are always willing to support and help each other and work as a team. Management are supportive of staff, quick to resolve issues, achieve solutions and work with staff to support Indigenous community members. Management is approachable, and work hard to ensure that deliverables are being met. Management often have competing priorities, but will, in most cases, set these aside to help staff resolve pressing issues. Workplace Culture: fast-paced, situations may arise that necessitate urgent and immediate responses and staff are often called upon to respond to urgent situations with relatively short notice. Staff should be self-starters, willing to take initiative, leadership skills are highly valued. Culture plays an integral in ONWA's work, staff are tasked with leading and facilitating culture-based activity within the community, staff must be comfortable with practicing culture and sharing their knowledge with community. Training, there are many opportunities for training offered to staff, staff are encouraged to take advantage of opportunities for training, all-staff training is offered on an annual basis. Staff are always encouraged to approach their managers with training opportunities. Staff that have chosen to advance their education (returning to university/college) have been encouraged and supported by management. Vacation, another perk of ONWA is the generous vacation and benefits package.

Nepotism and Lateral Violence

Work culture with staff is good, Management is a click, family and Nepotism is prevalent. Women have to feed their family, they hold you down and if you speak up say you are not educated , have plan for getting rid of you once they decide they want someone they know in the job. Lateral Violence at its finest, when you are sick, they don't care and they hound you while not working. Toxic work environment made that way by the Executive Director. Stay away.

Great Organization, great work life balance

This is an amazing organization and the work we do to support Indigenous Women and families is empowering and motivating. I feel I am treated fairly and compensated quite well. The management team encourages self care which is evident in the benefits and vacation time. ONWA is growing, which is exciting to be part of. I would recommend this organization to anyone.

Pros

Pay, Work-Life Balance, Workplace Culture

Rewarding place to work

Working at the Ontario Native Women's Association is a gift. We do incredible work to support our women. ONWA is the most generous employer I've ever worked for. Our benefits are awesome and I'm paid fairly - I get two weeks off at Christmas paid! I find the environment supportive and management is open to my ideas. The people I work with are some of the hardest working people I know and it's so rewarding to see the way we help our community. We are a very fast paced place to work. The training opportunities are endless. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to help community.

Be careful.

Hard work environment. Very hard. Upper management is frightening and toxic. So much money goes to the executive dir! HR is scary. Be careful. this is all out there, all public knowledge. do not work for them.

Pros

ocasional free lunch

Cons

woah

Poor Management and Nepotism

Many family members hired at this company, lots of bullying by management especially the newest Director who is related to the ED. in fact there is 2 related to the ED, very poor management and favoritism, anyone that speaks up isn't believed and questioned. Expected to work many hours and they created an environment of a Toxic Work Environment. They will change your job in a second and have you running to try and meet this change then change it again. They are not supportive of women by any means nor there vision.

Productive Workplace

The Ontario Native Women's Association is a community oriented place to work that supports and creates opportunity for both clients and employees. The environment encourages staff to work from a strength-based, trauma informed practice. This was a good place to work, Monday to Friday schedule, which allowed for great work-life balance. There was always time off for emergency situations, you just had to have a conversation with your manager. This allowed you to prioritize your family too. I will come back to work at ONWA in the future and I highly recommend checking out this organization.

Horrible management

Awful place to work. People advanced based on relationship with ED. The board is related to ED and upper management. Poor handling of funds and little money actually goes back to clients who needs it. Staff fired if speak out.

Cons

Lateral violence

Terrible management, didn't see any benefits to clients

Terrible place to work. Management are not qualified, but instead chosen based on their relationship with the Executive Director. Workplace culture best described as toxic. Lateral violence abundant. Employees (and ED) sent on elaborate trips (only one example is 2 weeks in Australia for 14 staff, to attend a two day conference) which runs counter to the spirit of helping marginalized Indigenous women and their families. Hardest part of the job was being aware of the "creative" counting of clients and deliverables and having no resource to deal with it. Other difficult parts of the job were working with uneducated, inexperienced staff (some who are managers). Only enjoyable elements of the job were the other organizations I got to work with and develop relationships with.

Pros

health benefits, a lot of travel

Cons

inexperienced management, lateral violence, misspending, nepotism

Great Organization

Management was great . job duties were clear . Program meet all requirements . The staff was helpful and all team plyers. A very friendly work environment.

Pros

Cons

contract ended

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario Native Women's Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3