Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs

Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs Employee Reviews

This was a contract position. Great staff and hours. I enjoyed working at this location. The workplace culture was relaxed and friendly. The most difficult part of this job was when the contract ended. I was sad to leave. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people, the location and the wage.
Pros
salary and hours
Cons
contract ending
Do not recommend. Constantly moving requirements. No communications from senior management Expectation that you know everything without any support. Onboarding is horrible
Cons
Veneer of structure but no goals and objectives
Been in the Ministry for year. All the colleagues are so nice and always willing to help you solve your questions. The supervisors always support the employees with their warm heart.
Working at OMAFRA was a great experience. Great work culture, professional environment and excellent learning opportunities. I would have loved to have stayed on but my contract expired and there was a hiring freeze due to change in government.
Pros
Excellent work culture and learning opportunities.
Cons
Contract work, paid parking
Although this was only a work placement, it seemed like a good environment to have a full-time position. The only downfall was the hours. Sometimes you would have arrive at a slaughterhouse at 4:00 am and it was a 1-hour drive.
Once you were able to land a permanent position the job security was good. Benefits could be improved on but that is a negotiation point that is always under fire.
Pros
the work is interesting
Cons
management tends to hire family or personal friends
A typical days varied, but mainly it consisted of driving various distances to fields to conduct different soil health tests. I learnt how to do a variety of soil health tests such as; Nitrogen levels, nematodes counts, aggregate stability, fertility levels, and water infiltration. I also was in charge on conducting a "Plant Green" survey. This required me to contact multiple farmers to complete the survey and conduct stand counts. I had great managers who were able to answer any questions I had. The hardest part of my job would be working in various harsh weather conditions, and driving in rough terrains. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the mixture of indoor and outdoor work. The support staff was knowledgeable.
Pros
Able to claim lunch, supper and breakfast (with conditions).
Cons
Not much notice in what you would be doing that day.
I have learned the mainframe skill and RACF administrator skill from the Ministry. I learned JCL language, ran daily job on mainframe, print cheques and support move the program from development job to production.
Everyone in the environmental management branch was very adaptive / accommodating and worked persistently to involve every ones unique skill set. There also was a lot of collaboration occurring because of this and the results produced very high quality work. It really felt like you were part of a team in this high paced environment and every one was very friendly.
Pros
strong management with weekly meetings and fun events
Cons
tedious government procedures and delayed reaction time
Project management of OMAFRA worksPM reportingCoordination with branchesCommuting to work place from TorontoMeetings and breaks
Pros
lunch break and the cafetaria environment
Cons
long drive to work