Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
N/a
Good people to work with and a very worthy cause
Offers good work life balance for the most part

Limited advancement opportunities for most departments
Excellent place to work if you want to have an impact on Cancer Research
I worked at OICR as a co-op student and it was a fantastic place to work. You can tell that people are there because they love solving problems in a way that will change the world for better.
Great if you are a scientist
This is a fantastic opportunity for scientists and those dedicated to research into cancer prevention, early diagnoses and effective treatments. Accomplishments are recognized and there are lots of educational, collaboration and publishing opportunities, along with support for external funding.

Unfortunately, if you are not a scientist or a PhD, and work within the administrative support environment, there is no opportunity for promotion. HR policies are clear and carried out professionally and well. Other policies are harder to identify and be in compliance with.
Pros
Tremendous organization with excellent public impact
Cons
No opportunities outside the science roles.
It was a good place to work, with no advancement opportunities
It was a good place to work, however very little room for advancement. Why is there 150 character minimum? This review process is stupid and needs to be improved.
Very great atmosphere, great environment | excellent talent.
OICR gave me an opportunity to work within their NCI Genomic Data Commons online portal project, from SOW to delivery into production which in term gave scientist access to huge data sets for Cancer Research around the world.

It was a great success because of our team and the many challenges we faced and overcame throughout the duration of the project.

Company was totally flat where you would occasionally run into some executive scientist and find a very fruitful conversation about any topic of choice.

I would give 5 stars.

NG.
Nice place to work
I enjoyed my time at OICR. Very relaxed atmosphere, colleagues are pleasure to work with. Most importantly, you feel like you're contributing to a greater good of everybody.
Depends on what department
Very fragmented company, departments are very separate and very different. Beautiful facilities, great location. HOOPP, sunlife benefits are great. Closed over christmas break according to when the universities close, so everyone gets time with family and friends.
Non-stressful work environment
A non-stressful work environment downtown; people tend to be helpful and accommodating; opportunities to learn about and be part of cutting edge cancer research.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary, advancement
- flexible job schedule and work life balance
- Limited opportunity to grow career due to small structure.

......................................................
Productive place
Excellent experience. Very supportive team. The management really encourages you to do your best. I had a good experience
Not a good place to advance your career
Although this institute lists many lab heads on their page, it it misleading--there are only about 6 or so groups there. The culture is similar to an industry. Without exaggeration, they you are bombarded with emails about staff changes, new policies, changes in security, social events, needless biosafety and pretentious weather warnings and show of concern.
I came here thinking that it was a good institute (which is the impression I had from the website by looking at the list of investigators there) however majority of these are at other locations. I found this ingenuous and frankly really disturbing that they would mislead people.

There are lot of silly titles like "Directors" etc and HR is heavy-handed. There are over 15 to 20 institute policy documents given to your on the first day. Unfortunately, I cannot get my time back, but I hope that other postdocs or staff considering working at OICR should think again. OICR is nothing like Sick Kids or Mount Sinai or OCI/PMH.

After 5 pm, the place is nearly empty. This does not happen at a normal research institute.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor research environment, work environment
competitive workplace
fun place to work, nice lab, which push you to generate new ideas and bring to positive output. Difficult to rise above postdoc, or research associate. The HR is given too many power
Pros
good Kitchen
Cons
no privacy
My time at OICR was an amazing experience where I got the opportunity to learn and grow in a fast pace environment. I experienced good times as well as bad but thanks to the help and support of my colleagues I was able to strive through these obstacles in order to be successful.
Pros
Worked with an amazing team
Cons
Quiet and friendly environment where people are able to work independently, as well as part of a team.
I used publicly available biological databases to identify and locate various resources where I could deduce transcriptome/gene expression levels for genes expressed in the normal, healthy pancreas. This was then used to compare to cancer transcriptomes.
average company
High salaries but low job security. Management are the highest paid
A good place overall
It is a good company overall. I enjoyed working there and will always charish the experience gained over the years.
A good work place
OICR is overall a good work place. Flexible hours and good benefits. A good retirement plan is in place as well through HOOP.